• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BlackBII's white ranger

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Nice work on the gas tank...and everything else for that matter, looks great.

I was going to do a B2 tank in my '86 and actually had everything to do it at one point but I have smashed in the factory 11 gallon rear tank so many times...and the B2 tank hangs down another 6", I think it would kill my departure angle and would get mangled real fast. But I do have a long box truck and I think your short box wheel base will help keep it protected a lot better.
Thanks!

Yeah it does hang pretty low. I'll get some better pictures of it this weekend. The skid plate sits about level with the bottom of the belltech shackles, so the departure angle isn't terrible. And like you said, the short bed helps with this. :icon_thumby:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33's mounted

Also added some more stickers

Here's the Bronco II skid plate

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks really nice. :icon_thumby:

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
I've been watching this since you started and just realized its a short wheel base truck. I've got a 92 swb that's lifted about 5" front and 2" shackles back and I just love the way it works. Working on a 90 b2 now with 5.0, 5 speed, np205 swap and am seriously considering cost wise sacrificing the ranger to the b2 project. I really don't want to get rid of the ranger but i think it's going to sacrifice the suspension and axles to the b2 and just be a little run around truck again.
Beautiful truck you got going bud!

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Those 33s look awesome! And the stock look of the wheels just enhances them. Love that truck!

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The B2 skidplate angle over the gas tank really eases that transition under the bed.

Looks good!

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I like those Wheels with the factory caps

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Thank you for the kind words fellas.

Added an '85 F-350 master cylinder. Part number MC39445. It improved the brakes so much that it feels like a different truck. I've owned a countless number of RBV's and they all had terrible brake pedal feel. Mushy, squishy, etc. I wish I would have known about this years ago. Thanks to dirtcowboy in this post for the info.

The only modification I had to do was widening the mounting holes, as the bolt pattern is a bit wider on the F-350, along with using the correct fittings which are not the same as RBV fittings.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been tempted to go with an Explorer MC, I feel I have a little more brake at the front than the rear than I probably should have but I am waiting to see how my two piston brakes work out when I get the '95 D35 in.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I have been tempted to go with an Explorer MC, I feel I have a little more brake at the front than the rear than I probably should have but I am waiting to see how my two piston brakes work out when I get the '95 D35 in.
Jelly of your two piston brakes.

I have been looking in the local yards for some two piston knuckles but apparently they are rare around here as I haven't seen any.

When I did the Dana 35 swap I put in all new Moog ball joints, and the uppers are starting to get loose already. Maybe 20k miles on them. So, I need to redo them anyway and want to get some newer knuckles and brakes when I do. :icon_welder:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
FYI about the Explorer master cylinder - our older Rangers have different size fittings on the lines than the Explorers do. I don't know when the change was made but it was after '89, probably '90 or '91. Not a big deal, just need different fittings, but it was enough to make me stick with the older master cylinder on my '89.

I'm not sure the Explorer master cylinder is worth the time anyway, at least with drum brakes. D28 calipers fit a D35 perfectly, and the wheel cylinders on a drum brake 8.8 are about the same size as those on a 7.5. Maybe exactly the same size. Disc brakes are a different story - the earlier master cylinder is proportioned far more towards the front - and with say, a disc brake 8.8 swap - 98% of the fluid pressure will go to the front axle. I can tell just by looking at the rust on my rear rotors on the '86 that the pads never touch the rotors unless I'm really hard into the brakes.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Jelly of your two piston brakes.

I have been looking in the local yards for some two piston knuckles but apparently they are rare around here as I haven't seen any.
They are scarce here too. Actually it found me, a local kid I met on here (Lariat, he isn't that active on here anymore) called and informed me that his dad bought a wrecked '95 for the trans and knowing I was looking for a D35 with 3.73 gears wanted to know if I wanted the front axle for $75 sitting on a pallet.

The hard part was turning up a good set of splash shields for the brakes. Hard to find the donor trucks and then you have to disassemble the front end to find out if they are any good.

I'm not sure the Explorer master cylinder is worth the time anyway, at least with drum brakes. D28 calipers fit a D35 perfectly, and the wheel cylinders on a drum brake 8.8 are about the same size as those on a 7.5. Maybe exactly the same size. Disc brakes are a different story - the earlier master cylinder is proportioned far more towards the front - and with say, a disc brake 8.8 swap - 98% of the fluid pressure will go to the front axle. I can tell just by looking at the rust on my rear rotors on the '86 that the pads never touch the rotors unless I'm really hard into the brakes.
Yeah, I have an Explorer 8.8 with disks in the back. It feels like the fronts come on too hard. I don't know how the twin piston front calipers will effect that so I am just sitting tight at the moment until I find out. I figure an Explorer MC would probably have a pretty close to what I need fore-aft proportioning for my set up, later trucks with ABS are supposed to be ok too... I need to check into that more and burn that bridge if/when I get there.

Canadian_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for welcome back!

Plans are 4.56 gears, lockers front and rear, little 31" tires and a small lift. Nothing crazy this time.
Seems like someone got caught in a project again! Sick ride man hope i can get my 94 all the way up to yours someday!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals