• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Big dreams

lucasnelsonh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey!
I'm Luke, and I'm planning on doing a 3.0L SHO swap into a B3000. I stumbled across TRS during my scouring of the interwebs for builds on this sawp. I will take all the advice and input I can get, but I plan on carrying this all the way through! :icon_welder:
So please: any and all tips/pointers appreciated. :D

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hey!
I'm Luke, and I'm planning on doing a 3.0L SHO swap into a B3000. I stumbled across TRS during my scouring of the interwebs for builds on this sawp. I will take all the advice and input I can get, but I plan on carrying this all the way through! :icon_welder:
So please: any and all tips/pointers appreciated. :D
I maybe wrong so someone correct me if I am. If you don't already know, I think the only rwd transmisson that will bolt up is ones from a 3.0.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I can say for 100% sure that the 3.0 bell housings are different from the 4.0 and 2.9.

Sent from my iPhone.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I maybe wrong so someone correct me if I am. If you don't already know, I think the only rwd transmisson that will bolt up is ones from a 3.0.

I was under the assumption that the Ranger/ Taurus 3.0 had a different bellhousing than the Yamaha SHO engine.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
From what little googling I just did, you need a bellhousing out of an early 3.0 aerostar. It's apparently not uncommon, but the issue is these motors are screamers RPM wise with almost not bottom end. Even my regular old pushrod 3.0 hits peak torque about 3700rpm. I guess the question is what is the reason for this? Don't get me wrong - it sounds cool as hell, but I think I'd rather do a Duratec swap since 2.5's and 3.0's are much more common than a 3.0 SHO from almost 20 years ago.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I was under the assumption that the Ranger/ Taurus 3.0 had a different bellhousing than the Yamaha SHO engine.
This is what I was quoting.

"The SHO engines share a common*bell housingpattern with the following Ford engines: the 2.3/2.5*L FWD*HSC*I4, the 3.0*L FWD/RWD*Vulcan*V6, and the 3.8*L FWD*Canadian Essex*V6.[8]*In 1996, Ford discontinued the SHO V6 and began fitting the Taurus SHO's with the SHO*3.4*L V8*and theFord AX4N*automatic transmission"

From wiki, and please no flame war about how terrible Wikipedia is.

lucasnelsonh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for all of the replies!
I drove my '89 Taurus SHO for 5 months before the engine went out (suspected cam chain slip, leading to valves colliding with pistons),
and can attest to it's fondness to rev and rev HIGH. However, it does produce more than enough torque down low. No, not as much as
a 3.8 or 4.0 (obviously), but definitely adaquate.
I first found the idea from Ford's very own Ranger SHO, but then they used a Mustang T-5 with a custom bell-housing.
However, the 3.0l & 3.2l SHO share the same bolt pattern as the 3.0l Vulcan it was based on.
I found a B3000 with a seized 3.0l Vulcan(which I don't need) mated to a M5OD-R1 in good condition for $400.
From all the reading I've done, There's going to be a good amount of fabrication, i.e. longitudinal motor mounts, and the transmission
cross-member(I believe), and the exaust.

Long story short, I ended up with two 3.0l SHO motors, one in the Taurus, and the other in an unknown condition. I figured I’ll rebuild
one of them, and while I’m at it: put it into a worthy platform. Worthy being RWD/4x4 that doesn’t require a butt-load of body/cosmetic work.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
Get to it and take lots of pics! lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals