• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Air Compressor Suggestions

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The stock regulator on my compressor can't keep up with most tools, I think it is the flow restriction so I just maxxed it out and it runs 120psi to the tools (just on the restriction in the regulator) but tank pressure goes up to 145psi or whatever it's supposed to do, works good on everything, when I need reduced flow I have a regulator with a male and female quick connect to put at the tool to drop it down for say paint spraying where you need like 50psi max... that way the hose is up to pressure and you don't get hose related inconsistencies... My impacts work much better at 120psi than they do at 90psi :)
Same. My pressure switch cuts out at 155 PSI.

I plumbed my shop with hard-line myself. Standard two car garage, and I have four air drops. One reel at each door (man door facing the house, one between the two car doors), one more reel located very centrally on the ceiling, and a fixed drop at the press because I put a pneumatic ram on it. The one at the press is the only line that is regulated at all. I use that hook up for the press (obviously), high-use tools like grinders, and low-pressure tools like my paint guns.

All momentary use tools like air ratchets and impact guns get run off the unregulated lines.

I also have a large central water seperator, and a smaller one at the press drop. Additionally there is a shutoff at the tank, and one at each air drop, and a few others spaced throughout, in case I suffer a pipe or hose failure I can shut off just part of the system, and not loose the whole thing.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
some stuff is just not the same battery powered. Nailguns and die grinders are the first that come to mind. They just dont work as good or feel the same. On the contrary, I actually prefer battery powered impacts and ratchets over air.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Same. My pressure switch cuts out at 155 PSI.

I plumbed my shop with hard-line myself. Standard two car garage, and I have four air drops. One reel at each door (man door facing the house, one between the two car doors), one more reel located very centrally on the ceiling, and a fixed drop at the press because I put a pneumatic ram on it. The one at the press is the only line that is regulated at all. I use that hook up for the press (obviously), high-use tools like grinders, and low-pressure tools like my paint guns.

All momentary use tools like air ratchets and impact guns get run off the unregulated lines.

I also have a large central water seperator, and a smaller one at the press drop. Additionally there is a shutoff at the tank, and one at each air drop, and a few others spaced throughout, in case I suffer a pipe or hose failure I can shut off just part of the system, and not loose the whole thing.
Awesome.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, I'm getting an assortment of cordless stuff, I was using my Bauer 4.5" grinder today just since it was handy doing some cutting, it's convenient but it doesn't have the power of even a low amp corded grinder and if you push too hard you hit the low voltage cutoff even with 2 out of 3 lights on the charge indicator... I have two cordless blowers though, those are handy as heck, I have the little Bauer workshop blower which works pretty good for small stuff and the Lynxx leaf blower which works good for the bigger stuff, kinda annoying that the Lynxx is discontinued but what ya gonna do...

I'm hoping to go kinda crazy on the compressor setup similar to what adsm was talking about when I get further on the shop, don't want to have to drag hoses around...

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Yeah, I'm getting an assortment of cordless stuff, I was using my Bauer 4.5" grinder today just since it was handy doing some cutting, it's convenient but it doesn't have the power of even a low amp corded grinder and if you push too hard you hit the low voltage cutoff even with 2 out of 3 lights on the charge indicator... I have two cordless blowers though, those are handy as heck, I have the little Bauer workshop blower which works pretty good for small stuff and the Lynxx leaf blower which works good for the bigger stuff, kinda annoying that the Lynxx is discontinued but what ya gonna do...

I'm hoping to go kinda crazy on the compressor setup similar to what adsm was talking about when I get further on the shop, don't want to have to drag hoses around...
I was talking more about die grinders, not so much angle grinders....However I do wish they would come out with a battery powered angled die grinder....Anyways I digress, back to angle grinders. They have come a long way, or at least Makita has. I have three, one is the original brushed motor that I never use anymore, and two are newer brushless models. They are much more powerful. Still not compared to a real corded grinder, but will keep up w/ a HF brand no problem. One is a thumb switch and the other a paddle. I dont like having to switch back and forth between grinding and cutting wheels, so I keep one on each. Same with blowers. My makita blows circles around my buddys ryobi.

I been looking into plumbing lines, there' some options out there....hoses suck.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Personally I prefer tools powered by plasma fusion reactors.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
I do wish they would come out with a battery powered angled die grinder
I think Milwaukee has one in their m12 system, though I’ve never used it so I can’t speak to its effectiveness. I have a 60 gallon compressor I bought from menards a while back. It has served me well. I am able to run basically anything I want. Once I get my garage insulated I’ll install piping like adsm has. For now I have an external regulator and a couple hoses. I also want to build a dog house so I can have it outside next to the garage. It takes up valuable floor space in my single car garage.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Ditto on the battery stuff, some amazing stuff out there. Like my air system, when I built my shop, I put at least a double duplex outlet every six or 8 feet, I have a couple of cords hanging from above, etc., etc., wire mold strips at each work bench, etc., all for convenience since I’ve got dozens of power tools from four generations. Depression mentality, so after what could only be called a ridiculous amount of reflection, I got a Dewalt 12V little impact wrench driver a few months ago. I have no idea how I lived without it for the last 50 years!!!!!

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Afterthought for the new shop builders: about 3-4 years ago I put regular inside type outlets strategically outside for car chargers or whatever, with regular inside cover plates (plug and play.). But I didn’t hard-wire them. On the inside, I wired them with a scrap 3-prong cord just long enough to reach one of the inside outlets. I plug them in when I need them: no more headaches with stringing tangled extension cords, usually taking more time than the subject task!

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I've got outdoor outlets surrounding the garage, the most used is just outside the big door. Now running an air outside would be next level convenient. Seems adsm's piping is the talk of the town.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I used a piping kit from Northern and put drops around my garage. Very convenient.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
The battery powered nailers are pretty good IMO, but only finish nailers, staplers and such. Without rapid fire ability, air is still the king for framing or roofing nailers. I don't generally need rapid fire for finish type work, especially if it means I don't have to drag a hose around.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I bought my dad an air framing nailer a couple years ago. He insists on gently pressing the head into the wood to disengage the safety, then pressing the trigger, then slowly moving on to the next nail.

It drives me effing insane. You can use a damn hammer faster! I grabbed it from him once and pulled the trigger and proceeded to slam the head down rapidly like a normal person and finished nailing the stupid bench together in 10 seconds and walked away.

10 minutes later I could hear him in the yard putting in one slow nail after another...

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I know I’ve said it a few times, I’m as cheap as they come for stuff in the background. My son says I can’t use a nickel in a vending machine because I hold on to it so tight, it bends, and it won’t fall down the slot!

My experience, not a recommendation, don’t have your descendants sue us all if you blow yourself up:

“Real” air pipe is expensive no matter what you get. But a lot of that is for “pretty“ or for “risk management“ on paper. Glued schedule 40 PVC up to about 1 1/4” is completely safe for virtually anything any of us would do at home.

CA42BD14-5AA3-4E6B-88A6-F398A3FA948A.png

02841C2A-8DBB-493D-86FD-EF021E63FA9C.jpeg
E1F8DEF0-44CC-4DD9-A45C-EC53841F1B72.jpeg

The most important things are to prime it properly (coverage and soak-in time) glue it properly (rotate each fitting about five or six times till there is no tendency to push back out) and let it sit longer than usual. I learned this from my body shop guy, and I’ve been doing it for 30 years without one ever breaking or popping. Most of mine is 1” feeders with 3/4” drops, a couple 1/2” runs to low-volume stuff like blowing shavings off my drill press. Most of my installations are fast and dirty, but safe, but you can still make it as pretty as you want by buying a few more fittings and being a little more careful with the primer and glue. If I’m running over 15 feet, I’ll usually put in a 12” “U” - like a steam line shock/expansion loop - but I loop it to the side or I loop it overhead depending on where I want condensate to go. And I think I just mentioned I use a lot of tire/Schrader valves to drain moisture. All works like a charm. Also a lot of cheap brass cut off valves on various parts of the system.

Two disclaimers: I don’t think I’ve ever run over 90psi, and you guys in the frozen north should probably double check temperatures when you’re putting it all together, and you may want to put in an auto-freeze drain or two.

my 2 cents, hope it helps!

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I know I’ve said it a few times, I’m as cheap as they come for stuff in the background. My son says I can’t use a nickel in a vending machine because I hold on to it so tight, it bends, and it won’t fall down the slot!

My experience, not a recommendation, don’t have your descendants sue us all if you blow yourself up:

“Real” air pipe is expensive no matter what you get. But a lot of that is for “pretty“ or for “risk management“ on paper. Glued schedule 40 PVC up to about 1 1/4” is completely safe for virtually anything any of us would do at home.

View attachment 53259

View attachment 53261View attachment 53262

The most important things are to prime it properly (coverage and soak-in time) glue it properly (rotate each fitting about five or six times till there is no tendency to push back out) and let it sit longer than usual. I learned this from my body shop guy, and I’ve been doing it for 30 years without one ever breaking or popping. Most of mine is 1” feeders with 3/4” drops, a couple 1/2” runs to low-volume stuff like blowing shavings off my drill press. Most of my installations are fast and dirty, but safe, but you can still make it as pretty as you want by buying a few more fittings and being a little more careful with the primer and glue. If I’m running over 15 feet, I’ll usually put in a 12” “U” - like a steam line shock/expansion loop - but I loop it to the side or I loop it overhead depending on where I want condensate to go. And I think I just mentioned I use a lot of tire/Schrader valves to drain moisture. All works like a charm. Also a lot of cheap brass cut off valves on various parts of the system.

Two disclaimers: I don’t think I’ve ever run over 90psi, and you guys in the frozen north should probably double check temperatures when you’re putting it all together, and you may want to put in an auto-freeze drain or two.

my 2 cents, hope it helps!
Yes PVC works fine for home air systems, but there is one small problem with it. Try cutting it and adding a T or another line after it's been used for a while. You can't because the pipe has expanded and new pipe/fittings won't fit on it. Ask me how I know. :icon_rofl:

Not a huge deal if you just plan ahead and add more connections than you think you'll need but it's a major pain if you remodel/reorganize and need to move lines.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals