• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 2.3 timing belt trouble

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
ok sweet then. I wont worry about what position it is in. and with the crank sensor, i need to now replace that right? what are my symptoms of that being broken? and what are the symptoms of my crankshaft being 180 degrees opposite? i think im down to those last few problems.

oh and do i need to replace coolant before i try to start the first time? or can I test it for a few seconds and then add once i know it will start? i have no coolant in the engine at the moment.

sorry for all the questions, I just want to know this stuff before I ruin my engine.
The engine won't start with a broken crank sensor. There will be no spark and/or no injector pulse depending on which magnet was broken off

If the cam/crank relationship was 180* out of time you would have a no start/no compression, the engine would sound funny when cranking.

The engine can be run for a short time with no coolant, but should only be run long enough to verify it runs normally.

When you get a new crank sensor, make sure it comes with the alignment tool or you risk breaking the new sensor on start up. The crankshaft hub needs installed with the pulley removed for access.

And lastly.... don't worry about ruining the engine. 2.3L's are non-interference so if you get the cam timing off it won't be damaged

RedRyder97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 3;73 rear end 22mpg
Transmission
Manual
Timeing Belt 2.3

I feel your pain ..... Wrong marks lined up on mine . I think their called manufacture marks but look really close to the timing marks . I have pictures in my photo section . Mines a 97 2.3 . The first time I really thought I messed it up . I even checked compression . And not even a pound . Valves were way off on timing. So had to tear it apart . I can tell ya once you have it on right . It makes a world of different`s on how well it runs .

Give that knuckle head of a friend of your`s the bent wrench on the head :shok:

Its constant pressure that will get the nut loose. :icon_thumby:

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey so autozone wants $120 for that crank sensor. I dont want to pay that. Other than the same gen and size ranger, what other years and models can i pull one from? Are mustangs the same engine?

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Seriously! My truck isnt even worth that haha im just going to go to pick and pull tomorrow and get one. But 2gen rangers with the 2.3 are hard to find here. Thats why i need to see what other vehicles use the same engine.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Any of the 2.3 from 89-94 will work,a mustang will work also_Or a T bird.

97rangerxlt23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996/1988/1997
Make / Model
Ford/Ford/Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/2.3L/2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I've never had that much trouble with my ranger or my four banger stang.... Always sprayed it good let it soak and take a chunk or brass rod and hit it to shock it a bit and break up and rust inside there.. Then it should tap right off

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so update, changed the belt last Saturday, I superglued the sensor back together for a temporary fix (gotta love that stuff), and started it finally! happiest moment of my life haha. flushed out the radiator while I had it off with the garden hose, filled with coolant, and everything has been fine since. Thanks for your guys help on this!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals