• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5speed swap

billydad3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have an 87 2wd 2.9L I have the tk5 on this site it says that all the 5 interchangeable. My question is will the drive shaft have to be modified? I have a 2 piece with the carrier bearing.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Unclear about what you have now and what you will be putting in???
Extra-cab will have 2 piece drive shaft

TK5 to M50D-R1
TK4 to TK5

Just measure length of the old and new trans, but generally no change will be needed if new trans is from a 2WD Ranger

billydad3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes it is an extended cab. Thank you for the clarification! I am looking for a 2wd transmission that will fit. It said in the transmission information section that all manual transmission will fit but there is a plate that need to be addressed. But then on the identification section that the transmission are different lengths? I'm confused about that

Last edited:

billydad3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
In the transmission information section on this site it says that all manual transmission will fit but there is a plate that need to be addressed. Also in the transmission information section it shows the identification section that the transmission are different lengths.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If the overall lengths are different then drive shaft will need to be changed.

Not sure where you are reading that specific info but many tech articles were written many years ago and would only apply to transmissions up to that date.
And even then they can be incorrect, while the tech articles are usually better than the Ford service manuals they can have errors.

Usually what happens is someone sees the error and reports it here: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5
But it needs to be a specific "this article" has "this error"
Then the administration corrects the error(s) so the article is up to date.

While I still believe EVERYTHING on the internet is TRUE I do have to accept the fact that some can misinterpret the TRUTH as a error :)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals