• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4WD not working, please help me to get this fixed

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its called a Shiftster, so you can shift transfer case manually, but have to get under the truck to do it

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
No I mean right on the motor so it wouldn't have to be removed! [emoji848]

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I removed my shifter motor this evening, I hated cutting that wire but couldnt readily see how to fish the connector out of the end either so my plan is to put a waterproof quick disconnect in the line when I put it all back together.

I know there are instructions here https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/transmission-transfer-case-driveshaft/rebuilding-a-ford-transfer-case-shift-motor/ for going thru the thing but I dont find them especially helpful ( prob cause Im thick skulled )

I couldnt figure out ( didnt see any pictures ) what he meant when he suggested marking the cover plate.

Long story short I think I get it now, I should mark the grey plastic cover in reference to the cast steel body so that putting it back together will be a no brainer.

I have reference marks on mine that can be easily referenced later so as far as I know there is no need.

I hope to get this open tomm, it just depends on how my work load goes. Anyway here are some clear pictures of my motor and the marks I mentioned.

Wont let me upload the pictures, Ill try later

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
my thoughts are to just go directly to the motor with 12 volts forward & reverse not to run it just to see if it starts to rotate in forward and reverse

I'd NOT run it forward or reverse with a hot wire directly to motor, that would probably break the gear inside,

Oh, you do know replacement is around or less than $100 don't you?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The reason the motor is intermittent is because the Brushes are not making good contact with the Rotor.

Both brushes need to be clean and the rotor's contacts need to be cleaned
Brushes also need to be free to move and not get stuck in their "sliders"
The brushes are very soft metal(like graphite) and are suppose to wear down, but if the brushes get too short they will get stuck, so replace them if needed.
Just look up NEW brush sets online to see original length

I doubt if testing the motor at this point would be of any value, maybe, but if its intermittent, and works now................what have you found out, lol
And if it doesn't work then you would rebuild it..................so just rebuild it

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I didnt get a chance to open it up today, Im going to the salvage yard tomm to get a power window motor and see what I can see, If I find a 4 WD ranger what should I grab just for the heck of it other than the shift motor? ( as a spare )

Should I grab the GEM thing? Or is that real specific to each ranger.

Im just thinking in case its not the shift motor and if its easy to remove from a donor truck than I may as well grab it.

Hopefully I can get that motor opened up this weekend, that my plan.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The window motors are really easy to fix they're harder to take out and put in then they are to fix. (Drill out the rivets)
there's video on YouTube how to do it.

They use the same mechanical principle that the shifter motor motor uses, a worm gear and a driven gear,

they are year and generation specific make sure you double check what generation your truck is

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The window motors are really easy to fix they're harder to take out and put in then they are to fix. (Drill out the rivets)
there's video on YouTube how to do it.

They use the same mechanical principle that the shifter motor motor uses, a worm gear and a driven gear,

they are year and generation specific make sure you double check what generation your truck is
Maybe its just jammed but my window motor stopped working all together, for me its less hassle just to swap it out

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
My window jammed a lot until I pulled the panel and lubed all the channels with white lithium grease and it has worked perfect ever since. Before it would get stuck all the way down and I would have to beat on the door to get it to move.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Craig, you got lucky! Both of them in my truck needed to be replaced or fixed there are three little stops inside the gear, the fix is to use 3, 7/16" bolt nuts to replace the plastic stops in the gear.

and the gear & plastic stops can also be bought.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have my shift motor taken apart, unfortunatly I can no longer post pictures on this forum, this started the other night out of the blue, when I hit the load button it just tell me upload failed?

I need to be able to post pictures here, I can post them on every other forum I participate in? Maybe someone can help with this?

I am not good at comp, I use mozilla forefox and Im not sure what operating system, thats about all I do/dont know.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have my shift motor taken apart, unfortunatly I can no longer post pictures on this forum, this started the other night out of the blue, when I hit the load button it just tell me upload failed?

I need to be able to post pictures here, I can post them on every other forum I participate in? Maybe someone can help with this?

I am not good at comp, I use mozilla forefox and Im not sure what operating system, thats about all I do/dont know.
It seems it will load some pictures and others wont, I do not understand

Attachments

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I don't even bother with pictures on computer anymore. I load them to Google photos and upload or download them to my cell phone.

On forums like this I use Tapatalk, it's very picture friendly.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you find the problem with shift motor?

Not sure why you would need to post pictures, loads of pictures of shift motors assembled and disassembled already out there, just reference those if there is a question

There is a limit to the size of the picture, for good reason, lol, resize images and see if that helps, i.e. your image above is 37.23 KB, and is a good size for posting

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Did you find the problem with shift motor?

Not sure why you would need to post pictures, loads of pictures of shift motors assembled and disassembled already out there, just reference those if there is a question

There is a limit to the size of the picture, for good reason, lol, resize images and see if that helps, i.e. your image above is 37.23 KB, and is a good size for posting
Let me try it this way, I hope this works!

This is the inside of my shift motor, I see no electrical and dont see the bushing that I thought I would see, only a steel pin but I believe there is a plastic bushing down inside the housing?

What am I looking at here and whats next?

Thanks

https://postimg.cc/9wPWg6Z9

https://postimg.cc/BPZqyhgw

https://postimg.cc/bdqNsJhH

Im glad that works, all you have to do is click on the urls.

I dont remember seeing a shift motor like this online ?

Where are the electrical contacts that Ive seen on these shift motors?

Im in no rush and I appreciate the help

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals