• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4WD not working, please help me to get this fixed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi
At this point both four-wheel-drive lights are flashing on the dashboard again as I'm driving it.

4 High and 4 Low turning the knob on the dash does absolutely nothing to affect the motor that's disconnected from the transfer case and that I have zip tied to this Shield
I would think that I would or should test that the motor is getting power or something like that before I assume the motor is bad.

I doubt the motor has been even rarely used

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Got to be a way to test the motor by giving power to it I just am unsure how to do these things

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Got to be a way to test the motor by giving power to it I just am unsure how to do these things
Please re read post #4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I read that post many times, thanks. So I need to look at schematic again, determine the wire colors leaving the fuse panel, check for continuity of these wires down to whatever the next device will be.

I'm assuming (don't have schematic in front of me ) that the wires will run down to the relay.

I need to see that relays open and close as they should and then continue to follow schematic checking for power.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'll look at it better tonight and see what I can see

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you have a Volt meter set it for DC volts

Unplug the shift motor connector and connect volt meter's 2 probes, one to the Yellow wire and one to Orange wire
Those are the 12v/Ground wires that power the motor
Key on
Change 4WD switch setting and see if volt meter shows +12v or -12v that means GEM is activating 4x4 Module and its relay is working, but shift motor is not

If you don't get +12v or -12v then 4x4 module is likely problem

The +12v or -12v will only be for a second or two, and it might come up +12 and then quickly change to -12, or visa versa.

The GEM expects instant feedback from the contacts inside the shift motor housing when it activates the relay, since the shift motor is not moving the contact wheel, the GEM stops sending voltage and sometimes reverses polarity to move motor back to its 'original position', because if contact wheel was the problem and motor was working then the driver repeatedly changing the knob would get 1 or 2 seconds of power at the motor and the transfer case rod would move, and could end up in between "gears" or even in Neutral.

So start at the motor end and see if wiring there is getting +12v or -12v on the yellow and orange wires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you have a Volt meter set it for DC volts

Unplug the shift motor connector and connect volt meter's 2 probes, one to the Yellow wire and one to Orange wire
Those are the 12v/Ground wires that power the motor
Key on
Change 4WD switch setting and see if volt meter shows +12v or -12v that means GEM is activating 4x4 Module and its relay is working, but shift motor is not

If you don't get +12v or -12v then 4x4 module is likely problem

The +12v or -12v will only be for a second or two, and it might come up +12 and then quickly change to -12, or visa versa.

The GEM expects instant feedback from the contacts inside the shift motor housing when it activates the relay, since the shift motor is not moving the contact wheel, the GEM stops sending voltage and sometimes reverses polarity to move motor back to its 'original position', because if contact wheel was the problem and motor was working then the driver repeatedly changing the knob would get 1 or 2 seconds of power at the motor and the transfer case rod would move, and could end up in between "gears" or even in Neutral.

So start at the motor end and see if wiring there is getting +12v or -12v on the yellow and orange wires
Very clear direction. Exactly what I was looking for

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a pretty good V.M at my shop. (Which I'm not familiar with using ) I'll drive out there and get it. Will post results tonight.

Thanks again

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
4x4 relay module is in the dash, it has the 2 relays inside it

The GEM module is behind the Radio, 4x4 relay module may be there as well, but could also be behind glove box, not sure in 1996
GEM module is working, i.e. flashing 4wd lights

Do you hear relay "CLICKS" when you change the knob positions?
If so relay box is working

If you tap on the motor part of the shift motor assembly you can sometimes break loose a stuck brush, this will get motor working again, but it is temporary, needs to be rebuild or replaced

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
4x4 relay module is in the dash, it has the 2 relays inside it

The GEM module is behind the Radio, 4x4 relay module may be there as well, but could also be behind glove box, not sure in 1996
GEM module is working, i.e. flashing 4wd lights

Do you hear relay "CLICKS" when you change the knob positions?
If so relay box is working

If you tap on the motor part of the shift motor assembly you can sometimes break loose a stuck brush, this will get motor working again, but it is temporary, needs to be rebuild or replaced
When I turn the knob I hear absolutely nothing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So does the truck have to be moving running and driving for anything to happen because up until now I didn't think anything was happening but I'm driving along now and I switched it from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive high and I heard the relays click in the 4 wheel drive light Dash came on

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Then you most likely will need to pull off the center console cover and pull out the radio.
Best guess is the 4x4 relay module is in that area
GEM will be on the left side, lots of wires and larger module
4x4 relay module is probably on the right, much smaller, maybe 3" square, and just a few wires, look for wiring colors on the diagram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Then you most likely will need to pull off the center console cover and pull out the radio.
Best guess is the 4x4 relay module is in that area
GEM will be on the left side, lots of wires and larger module
4x4 relay module is probably on the right, much smaller, maybe 3" square, and just a few wires, look for wiring colors on the diagram
C post above

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Things seem eratic, I've never heard anything up to now when I turned knob

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals