• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9L Head ?'s

sledhead999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have a '90 Bronco II w/ the 2.9L V6 with a head/gasket issue leak. Its burning oil/coolant in #3 cylinder drivers side.

I'm wondering what my options are. I'd like to replace the head with a better aftermarket design if possible. I've seen World Products mentioned as a good replacement, but they are no longer making them anymore. Nearest I cant tell, that leaves King and Odessa aka Clearwater heads. On the 'bay Odessa doesn't have the greatest feedback. King looks like a good product, but kinda spendy also. Short of those two, re-man is the only other option.

The casting # on my head doesn't line up either, is the 86TM the better Euro head for the Merkur?

If I keep this engine, w/o doing a 4.0L conversion, I'm tempted to replace both cylinder heads because of the amount of work to tear it down to that point.

This motor has had some valve ticking also, but I've read it can be injectors instead.

What should I do? This will only be used as an off highway light trail rig.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good read here on the 2.9l engine: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_9_Page.shtml

The improved head design were first used on '89 models, so you should have those already on a '90, but casting number should be 89TM, look at your rocker pedestals to see what you have, the 3rd party heads are the same as these, just sometimes easier to get.
Look for 89TM used or rebuilt.

Yes Ford injectors are loud, but rocker noise is louder.

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
For what you would have in a pair of new heads, and then finding out you need pushrods because the oil passage got clogged then the pushrod mushroomed from lack of oil, you'll have about the same in a 4.0 swap, just my 2 cents but as RonD stateted, he covered the 2.9 heads

sledhead999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the link RonD, I've looked that page over earlier...

I'm not positive the head is cracked but I have a sneaking suspicion it is. I have a donor '88 that I might just rob the heads off of it.

Any experience with either Odessa or King heads?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the link RonD, I've looked that page over earlier...

I'm not positive the head is cracked but I have a sneaking suspicion it is. I have a donor '88 that I might just rob the heads off of it.

Any experience with either Odessa or King heads?
whats the condition of the engine in the 88? if i were in this situation, id consider swapping in the donor engine instead of doing heads. same amount of work really, if you have the tools and the place to do it, but no additional expense of gaskets and head bolts, etc.

beyond that, an engine swap like was discussed earlier may be the way to go. two new heads is a lot of time and money spent, and in the end its still a 2.9, if you wanna upgrade maybe now is the time.

sledhead999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The engine/trans is probably the only good things on this donor '88, everything else is in rough shape. I've robbed the accessories off of it over the years (alt, starter, etc).

sledhead999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, the head is definitely cracked!

Kinda leaning towards picking up a King replacement head...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals