• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 ranger build "Lizzy" (Slow build thread)

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Ok, the three trucks are...

1971 F-150, 360 v8 sat since 03, auto trans, 2wd,

1986 F-150, 351M v8, auto trans, 2wd, specially built topper

1991 F-150, 300 I-6, manual 4 spd, 4x4. (my uncle already called it too....:bawling: lol )

All for scrap price, gonna go look at them tomorrow around 4pm

so far a friend is going to use the bed off of the 71' I might use the frame for my 78' the 360 might just make it in Liz eventually. I'm thinking Gwaii setup :D :D :headbang:

just gotta find a couple manual trans. for this thing.

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
got home to find two boxes sitting in my room, the taurus E-fan and the controller. :icon_hornsup: Now i just need time to install it, lol. I'm also trying to collect videos and pics from playing at my grandfathers land by the river with friends, which is pretty hard when were all driving and playing in the woods, lol.

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well, it seems that the taurus fan doesn't fit without some modifications to the radiator support when you have the H.D. radiator installed... oh joys :annoyed:

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well I went out and bought a 14" universal e-fan to install and run until I have the time to build a radiator support for Liz, I'm kinda shocked at how bad the rust is around the mounts for the radiator support, although its not the worse I know of, its bad enough to build one. lol (plus I need a little more experience with the mig :D )

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Welp.. I was driving home from a friends house and hit a deer at 55 mph, we pulled over and gawked at what we saw...

It pushed the drivers side of the bumper in and down on the drivers side, and somehow it broke the headlight bulb on the passenger side. :icon_confused:
otherwise it drives fine (actually it doesn't seem to have the slight pull to the left anymore:icon_rofl: )
I guess this is the motivation I need to start designing and building my winch bumper, lol.
Is it bad that after hitting the deer and checking out Liz, I walked over and kicked the deer in frustration?

I'll get better picks tomorrow, lol

jesse93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
did you keep the deer????!!!!!...just kidding

i have 2 10" pusher fans on mine and i have no over heating issues...but i live in florida so i dont run a t-stat..lol

looks like you have a good start

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
thanks, as the title states its going to be a slow build thread, lol

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lol, add it to the list of things that truck has hit, i hit one deer, another ran into the side of it, and a snowmobile pulled out in front of me and it got hit too lol

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
on saturday my oil pressure gauge (yes, the dummy one) has been going nuts, wildly fluctuating everywhere across the gauge, then dropping to low and staying there, I thought that it was just the gauge acting up (i cleaned the pickup tube before putting it in) until i was driving to work and she decided to start running on 5 cylinders and spraying blue and white smoke out the exhaust. I limp it to work and let it sit until it was break, I went out and started it up it sputtered to life running raggedly and cleared up for a bit I shut it off and when I get out to go home the batteries dead, push started it and drove it home, its lost alot of power, the check engine light is now on, and the oil pressure gauge barely creeps up from L while driving, and the temp is rising to the edge of the normal zone on the gauge even with the fan going driving down the highway... I'm getting ready to drop in the 351M and everything into Liz and be done with this.:annoyed:

one hell of a weekend, huh? :dunno:

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well, I changed the oil again after running a little atf through the oil and it cleaned out a couple clumps of sludge and my oil pressure has risen a bit but if you tap the gas heavily the needle will still drop down to right at the edge of low. so a couple more oil changes are in my future, plus I still haven't dug into why a cylinder isn't firing. I should probably pull the plugs and check them....

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well, I put a mech. oil pressure gauge in it and found out that my oil pressure is fine, the cylinder misfire is still plaguing the 4.0. Now onto the new problems i caused the playing down at land of the lost, after running fine for a while it'll die and not start until it sits for about four hours, I've changed out the ICM, no luck... anyway I tried to cross a different creek and found out that its a steep drop off after the little sand bar. got pulled out and saw that the drivers side tire was still turned to the right while the pass. side was straight, got underneath and saw that the drivers side steering linkage is pushed onto the D35 beam, not to mention it looks like the drivers TTB beam is pulled forward (probably doesn't help getting yanked out by a 4x4 7.3 turbo diesel)

well if I can't figure out the problem with the 4.0 I'm gonna swap in a recently rebuilt chevy 283 v8 (only $50 for it, love family deals) and retro fit s.b.c. fuel injection onto it (that should be a blast to wire in :icon_confused: )
and if the ttb beam/crossmember is tweaked i'm gonna swap in the D60/9"/N.P.205 from the 78 F-150:D
I just have to find a transmission now thats a manual that'll bolt up to the 283, and the n.p. 205

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well I'm going to be renting out an old boat shop right across the river so that means a place i can actually tear apart things in, lol also I finally picked up the 1966 Chevy C-10 with previously mentioned 283, three on the tree, runs, drives, and stops too... lol here is some pics of the truck

Where it sat for years

the little 283

not to sure how that happens lol

on the trailer sitting at a friends house

originally it wasn't starting for us, we checked the filter and tank and found that the pickup tube in the tank rusted to nothing, after that... well after playing with it we drove it around til we ran it out of gas, lol its a fun little truck oh and the vacuum advance is frozen on it too.

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The old boat shop is a no go due to the bank not wanting to rent it out to us at the last second. Well it seems that the '66 C-10 is in better shape and worth more then I originally thought, so its getting a full tune up and a pick up tube for the tank then it going to car shows as a rat rod. That leaves me without a motor for liz, until I tripped over a 289 v8 out of a 67 mustang, offenhauser high rise intake, with an 850 double pumper carb. it supposedly has been buillt up and ran low 11 seconds in the mustang. So I'll see what it has when it comes apart to get cleaned. I hope its true though, lol:D

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so what is the plan for lizzy???
289/5 Speed/SAS???

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The plans as of now are
90's fuel injected 302 with the 289 rotating assembly in it along with rebuilding the upper end of it
A Gwaii specialty, two N.P. 435 4spd transmissions with a n.p. 205 transfercase
94 f250 axles, bj dana 60 front with a sterling 10.25 rear with a locker (so the guy says anyway) going to get rebuilt
And last is the exo cage.
So much for a mild build, lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals