• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where to find diagram of Engine compartment?

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Bobby.

If it is for low oil and was never plugged in..what makes the red dummy oil light come on? There must be some device/sensor which sends a signal/warning so the red light comes on?

Trying to figure out what I can replace to make sure that part was not falsely making red "oil" light come on.

Unfortunately my DD Van's tranny is going out and do not have the time to fix BII on my own quick enough. No one around here to take the project on. So...I am off to look at a 1989 BII which is currently running and for sale. At least have something to drive while I attempt to learn and fix 1986 BII.

Will take Solder lesson this coming weekend and look thru the Shop Manual I got.

A HUGE Thanks to all of you for being so kind and patient while sharing your knowledge/experiences. :icon_thumby:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
low oil level light...or just red dummy light that says oil?

the dummy light comes on when the sensor is below 5 psi or simply failed/unplugged.

looks like it could be the canister purge and the los wires

the oil pressure gauge switch has the red crimp type connector on it.

Last edited:

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for your help Bobby.

It was a red dummy light that says oil.

I put numbers in the photo as I am confused as to which one is being referenced.

# 3 with the little red thing has nothing attached to it? It appears to have a teeny bit of a metal rounded end exposed at the end of the red crimp thing.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
find the wire that went to that....and your light will be controllable:icon_rofl:

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
:D But if that red crimp thing is for a oil pressure gauge switch and I do not have a "gauge", I have a dummy light....are you sending me on a wild goose chase? :D

# 2 in the pic has a piece of red plastic on a portion of the interior which appears it could have been broke/snapped off. It is clean and smooth.....and as you can see, most everything is kind of dirty under there. Maybe that went to #3?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
possibly 1 and 4 were mates and 4 some type of knock sensor, but it seems it should be canp.

maybe just a different pressure sensor for some aftermarket gauge...i cant remember what is supposed to be there

# 3 should be the normal oil pressure sender location...the missing wire when it grounds light the idiot light.

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good morning.

Thanks Bobby.

I am thinking I will find a salvage(s) yard with BII and take a field trip. Just start crawling under them and see if I find one which has something connected to that red crimp part.

Would the wiring on a 86 BII 4WD be kind of like a 89 BII 4WD?

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good morning everyone.

I am leaving Texas today to go check out a 1989 BII in Kansas. Appears to be a pretty nice one. Hopeful anyway. :D

Not giving up on my 86 BII but getting it back on the road is going to take me some time and I need a DD now.

Will stop at salvage yards on the way back and look for a 86 I can get a couple of parts off of. Need a couple of interior plastic pieces and missing one of the Eddie Bauer emblems. Anyone need anything..small? :D

Flat Toy and unoleisu..will be waving at you as I will passing by your area. Let me know if you have time to meet me on a pit stop for a cup of coffee. (Hopefully will be in a 89 BII not on the Greyhound.) :D

Thanks again for all of your help and will be back to let you know what I find out about the "suspicious" dangling wires.

Hopefully will not be back asking questions about 89 BII. (My brothers think I am off my rocker to get another one but then they think Chevy rules) :D

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
make it back from kansas yet toto?

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good morning.

Still in Kansas. The 89 BII is sitting in parents driveway and we cannot get the 4wd to work. No light is lite up on dash and no idea as what to do from the Owners Manua. Any ideas as to what we should be doing?

l

jhammel85

OK...Sorry I've been away, Unable to help

Here is what I've found:

The mystery skinny plug is still...A mystery. I found that it is a blue wire (solid blue). This blue wire is in a loom with a ground and the wire that goes to an L shaped plug that goes into the side of the oil pan. This whole loom starts at a plug near the coil. This plug near the coil looks like it has a red / yellow wire going into it, a red white wire going into it and then a black / white ground. I still have no idea what this goes to..Even though I'm looking through all of these wiring diagrams.

As far as the 89's 4wd not working, is it a push button that engages it? If so, its an electric transfer case. They're known to have issues. If you search our forums you'll find a ton about it.

If it's not button 4x4 then you have a lever for 4wd. Thats a manual transfer case. In this case you need to go out to the front of the truck and turn the hubs on the wheel to engage 4wd. Get in, and put it into 4wd at that point and then you'll have 4wd.

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi jhammel. Welcome back and Thank You for checking back here, :icon_thumby:

Will be checking out somw salvage places on Sat. if they have any BII. I will find one wired some where.

The 89 is electric button. Will check the threads as you suggested. Using a laptop PC w/o mouse when used to Mac w/mouse is very tedious as I make many wrong moves on this thing.

Thanks again......... :D

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good morning guys. :D

Made it back from Kansas with the 89. :yahoo:

Whew! that was some cramming to get things done to her. Come to find out the AC compressor was leaking and hoses were going bad. Took some work to find all of the parts only to find out they shipped some of the wrong ones and accumulator was damaged. Finally got everything done and switched over to R135. Haven't had car AC for 10 years and I feel so very spoiled! :yahoo:

The 4WD turned out to be challenging as brothers had to track a electrical problem and take the transfer motor apart. By the way...the tester module is behind driver seat in a little cubby hole. Finally have it working.

Replaced the sway bars/bushings, belts, changed air, oil, tranny filters and those fluids. new spark plugs/wires, rotor, oil sending unit, thermastat, New shocks on the front and had a CD player installed as someone had wired things wrong to a transformer and I certainly had no idea why I could not get the used one to work.

Advanced Audio in Wichita, Kansas are AWESOME! The Owner and his staff are straight up people and know what the heck they are talking about. I was blown away by their kindness, helpful energy, products offered and their most professional treatment. Their installer is amazing. Owner set me up with a great sound system even though I was on a budget. Groovin on the road once again...:D

Stopped in Maysville, Kansas and found a decent rim to replace the one we found out was cracked and repaired. Is there any way to "recondition the alum cast rims? this one has a little oxidation and is gouged some on edges. (rollover donor)

Stopped at 4 other salvage yards and no luck finding BII or if they had any they were all pretty much stripped. Still need one more rim and tan interior pieces that are slightly damaged.

Will have to take 89 to someone to replace the timing chain as we ran out of time to do that task and I am not even considering taking that one on. At least at my brothers...they had all the tools and between 5 of us at times...we were able to get many things done. Of course there were the "debate" sessions/bonding as well. but no punches were thrown and we all still love each other. :D

I did find out the wiper only has one speed. Add another part to the list. Also decided after a huge burn on my hand from a drop lite...I will get a "wand" florescent light from SnapOn. (brother is a Sanp On dealer) :D

BTW........In the process of doing all of the work.......All of you were a huge help. I had that lap top on the entire time as I searched for guidance/help/answers. Everyone who has posted in these forums keep people sane and BII on the road. you guys ROCK! Thank You!!!!! :icon_thumby:

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good morning. :D

Hay..I actually miss all of you. Not much time to post as I have been trying to catch up from Kansas trip. I have been reading threads in the forums and I so enjoy all of the sharing.

I have been waxing/detailing my "89" BII in the moonlight since I don't get home until late. Actually turning out quite nice. I have some questions about using Meguiare products but will save them until I find time to get some serious waxing done.

*My question for the day........

BII's have a dingaling thing to remind you about leaving keys in the ignition. On mine...I can very faintly here it when it is very quiet. Like it is in a underground bunker or something and seriously muffled Why is is dinging but not out loud?
And yes...I cleaned my ears out. :D

Thanks everyone and wishing you a great day and a BII cruising down the road.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's on it's last leg. On my 87 BII I have a buzzer for keys warning/headlamps, and also seat belt not buckled. My electrical trouble shooting book says the key warning switch is part of the ignition switch, and the seatbelt switch is in the driver's seatbelt buckle. The buzzer is located on the righthand side of the dash, above and to the left of the glove box, which has to be removed to get to it. Seams like there was just one screw mounting it.
After trying several from salvage that were just as bad, I ordered a new one from LMC truck catalogue. It's great to have a new working one, but irritating if you work on the truck alot, like I do. (I just can't leave a good thing alone).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals