• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where to find diagram of Engine compartment?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My Tempo shop manual did not cover much wiring, not like the EVTM. But worth their weight in gold either way. They put Chilton's and Hayes' manuals to shame. Thicker and they are only covering just one year. I can't think of any time I have gotten the information I've needed (or already didn't know) from a autopart store manual that covers too broad range of years.

jhammel85

Thanks jhammel. :icon_thumby:

Basically you are saying you have the same 2 plugs "dangling" unplugged and your BII still runs like a champ? :D

Should be getting my Ford Shop manual in mail soon. Not sure if I have to get the Vacaum /electrical to track plugs down or not.
I hope it does!

As far as the truck running, for the most part it's awesome. I've been driving it as is for over a year and a half now. The skinny plug is still disconnected with nothing to go to. I found it hanging like you did.

The only hiccup I have is that when the truck is 1st started, especially warm, it will idle normal and then start to chug for about 30 seconds. Basically it will go from 850 rpm (or 1200) and go to 500, then back up and it will do this for about 30 seconds before they truck wakes up and smooths out like nothing happened. Sometimes it has a tiny bit of black smoke coming out of the tailpipe when it does this so for some reason, the spark is going a bit nuts when this happens. Fuel PSI stays the same and everything.......I have NO idea what it is....

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Pete...I am easily confused already and Haynes is not helping much. :D

I bought the "1986 Ford Ranger Bronco II Factory Shop Repair Manual".

jhammel...so your little skinny plug is dangling and the larger plug is connected to something? Do I have to pay you or can I just come detail your BII to have you tell me where it is connected? :D

I forgot what mine does it has been so long ago. :sad:

jhammel85

I have a Ranger, Don't worry about detailing ,lol...Even though it is pretty filthy inside right now..

The larger plug is connected. The one that I have disconnected (other than the skinny) is the odd 3 holed one in your 1st picture. Sorry for the confusion. For the bigger plug (that is with your skinny one) I think it looks a lot like one of the plugs that are used on the upper intake. Mainly the Air Charge Sensor plug (passenger side, goes into the side of the intake). I might have to take a look for you in a bit here to see if recognise that connection.

I don't know what it is about that skinny plug but no one knows what it is..I had a thread about it not too long ago. I'll find it and post it on here, maybe it'll give you an Idea.

jhammel85

Here you are. Sorry about the pictures not being on there anymore. So you know, the other connector that needed fixing was to the ig coil. It was badly corroded.

Is your truck an automatic? It could be for the trans? if you driving an auto, this might help point us in the right direction. I never found it to go to my trans.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85991

Last edited:

Flat Toy

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Pony,
I have a few min. Let me go out and see if I can find anything on mine. Did you ever find wire color going into the plugs?

jhammel85

He said that the plugs were:

"The larger plug has two wires. One is a yellow wire and the other is a black with white pinstripe?

The smaller plug has one wire which appears to be a light green. They are larger gauge..maybe a 20?"

jhammel85

It just dawned on me!

I know where the bigger one most likely goes. Its the Engine Coolant Sensor that reports back to the EEC (computer). This sensor is on the front of the motor just under the Throttle body. If it's not that, I think it could be one of the oil sensors on the side of engine (from underneath). It's the round ports that make me think its to one of those, thought I would not rule out the oxygen sensor.

And one more thing..Here is a simple diagram for our lil 2.9
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagrams_ElectronciEngControls2_9_1of3.JPG
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagrams_ElectronciEngControls2_9_2of3.JPG
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagrams_ElectronciEngControls2_9_3of3.JPG

More stuff from our library:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/index.htm

For that skinny one...I at 1st thought that maybe it was for the neutral safty switch for the transmission. It isn't since it will not start in gear but it will start in park or neutral. Also, my reverse lights work so it's not for that.

From what I under stand, I only know of two plugs for the auto trans. A 2 wire is for the torque converter lock up and a 3 wire for the 3-4 shift. I know of nothing on the trans that has 1 wire...

Hope some of this helps eliminate a few other probable connections.

Last edited:

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good evening and Hello FlatToy and jhammel..still. :D

Yes..the colors jhammel just mentioned are the colors on the two plugs I found disconnected along side the oil pan.

jhammel..Thanks for checking, and the link to your thread... most interesting. And to the "library". Do I have to take a Community College class to figure out what any of that means in those diagrams ? :icon_confused:

Tranny is Automatic.

Wouldn't it be grand if the little skinny one was a oil sensor. That might explain why the engine light would come on after a couple of minutes? Oh to be so lucky....and tragic at the same time. :shok:

Will have time to crawl under BII with flash light on Sat. Might have to buy a large piece of plywood to put under it. Gravel is no fun to try scooting on.

FlatToy, thanks for the offer. Much appreciated.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
PONYUP: FYI

http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/how_to/solder/index.html#Anchor-TINNING-23240

Here is a decent link on soldering. It shows tinning and mentions twisting.
thats exactly what i do and what i was attempting to describe....onle i dont work that nice...i am a bit of a pig....but its an awesome page thanks :icon_thumby:

the tee twist it shows is known to me as a mechanical tee.

i do do that, but .....note....all mechanical wire connections are tinned before twisted. and that was my only difference in opine....

and i have never seen a mechanical connection of that type in a harness oem:dunno:

for repairs to make the smallest connection is generally my goal, though you do what you must to make it work.

jhammel85

I hear you about the gravel. Same thing for me. If I get time today I'm going to look, tomorrow I have a wedding. So, Sunday at the latest for me. I want to follow the wire all the way back to the computer if I need to.

As far as the oil light goes, Mine has never come on. So I don't think thats it but perhaps that is what the other plug goes to. It's gotta go to one of those sensors on the engine..

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have fun at the wedding jhammel and best to the happy couple.

>>"I want to follow the wire all the way back to the computer if I need to."<<

You are a brave person. :icon_thumby:

I hope to get some idea of how to even read a electrical map one of these days. might as well..no gardening with the drought here. :D

Wishing everyone a great weekend.

ldbill39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Single wire plug

The single wire connector on the left side of the picture goes to the oil level sensor on the left side of the oil pan. It is used to let you know if the oil level is low, with a idiot light on the dash. Hope that helps.

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
:shok:

Really? Thanks ldbill39. I will check that out in the morning. Mine must have the idiot light because there is no dash gauge.

So.....I some what perplexed as I was starting the BII every week for a couple of months. Then I did not for ummmm..way too long. When I did go out to start it ummm..3 months later...the oil light came one within a couple of minutes. I ran the engine cleaner and new oil/filter. Light came on again and again after I did the same the second time.

Trying to get this thought straight.
So if it was not plugged in I would get no red idiot light at all no matter what?
Beasts must have pulled it out?
And I am in big trouble because that means no oil was circulating when that happened 6 years ago?
Could it just be bad?

I am thinking I am in big trouble or a "oil switch" part needs to be replaced because it was lying to me. But...parts place said there is a "oil switch' which costs under $10.00. Since this is a plug...what/where is the "oil switch" part they told me I can replace?

Any one know what the manual pressure gauge to test oil pressure is called? Napa nor Auto Zone knew what I was talking about.

Thanks again to All.....you have been most helpful and inspiring.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
The single wire connector on the left side of the picture goes to the oil level sensor on the left side of the oil pan. It is used to let you know if the oil level is low, with a idiot light on the dash. Hope that helps.
your truck may never had that hooked up. many are not

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals