• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electrical Help

jhammel85

Looking for a few suggestions on what to do with some problems I have going on...

I'm looking to fix some corroded wires that I have connected to the connector that runs next to the coil. If you notice, the orange wire and black with a white stripe wire here are barely hanging on. I was thinking about just soldering these wires to the same color on the other side. This takes the convenience of having a plug but its free! Problem is, there are 2 wires on the right connector that do not continue on to the other side??:icon_confused: Any idea what these are? Should something be connected to the other side? I think I may just solder only the two bad wires and leave the wires still connected to the connector alone....See below, what do you think?

Corrosion!

My last question is, what is this connector thats hanging under the truck? It seems to come from the same wire loom that runs two wires to the starter. Theres nothing around that it could go to. :icon_confused:

Note the plugs general area...

Whew...She's filthy!

bigblue88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm pretty sure you can pull those wires and take offthe old plugs and crimp on new ones, not sure what extra wires are for . The wire hanging looks like a transmission plug but looks like you got a manual?good luck

jhammel85

Nope actually an auto.
Any ideas what the plug would go to though? I dont see a thing under there

Thanks!!

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Here is one I can solve, for something like that, unplug the connector, and you will see that each wire is held in by an individual clip that holds a metal stop/end connected to the wire, you want to remove the broken one.

Folling that, push a crimp onto wire, solder the ends of the 2 wires together, slide the crimp over the solder point, and crimp both sides VERY tightly, so that it will assure the solder point holds well, and covers the wire.

Following THAT, cover the crimp with electrical tape, and push the end back into the connector, being sure it snaps in. DONE!

As for the hanging wire..... pretty sure its a wire.... not sure to what though =P sorry

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That hanging one almost has to be for the transmission. I have the EXACT TRUCK that you have except its a manual, I know my wiring system very well, and I don't have that plug.

jhammel85

Its an odd little plug. I can't think of anything electrical that it would connect to....Plus the truck has been fine for the whole time I've had it. It's always had a firm shift though..

I'm going to have to have another look under there tomorrow!

Thank for everyones help.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Its an odd little plug. I can't think of anything electrical that it would connect to....Plus the truck has been fine for the whole time I've had it. It's always had a firm shift though..

I'm going to have to have another look under there tomorrow!

Thank for everyones help.
As to the mystery wire/connector. Might be for a anti knock sensor...or...a oil level sensor on the oil pan??

jhammel85

I spent some time outside on my lunch break checking things out. It looks like the plug comes from the same loom as the Oil pan sensor for the CPU. Its those two wires connected to this sensor plus this plug. The plug looks to be black but really whos to tell on something this old! I cleaned it the best I could and looks to be solid black.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals