• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No 3.0 in new Rangers

ckblum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
For those of us who can't afford to just choose a vehicle with a newer engine the 3.0L is great. I can't afford a vehicle new enough to have the Duratec 2.3 but I still need good power and decent mileage for my 3 hour commute to school. The old 2.3L was gutless but great on gas, the 3.0L had good torque and hp and was still pretty decent on fuel, however getting a 4.0L was pretty much pointless just to gain more power but sacrifice economy. For me and many other people the 3.0L was the perfect mid-range engine.

Don't bash it because it has served it's purpose just fine, of course it will be beaten by newer, better engines. That's a good thing isn't it? I'm glad we are making advancements in technology that allows the newer 4 bangers to compete with a 3.0L, I'm sure at the time the 3.0L was made they never thought a 2.3 could make as much power as it and still get great mileage.

Who knows maybe one day all vehicles will be perfect little 4 bangers with phenomenal torque, great horse power and awesome gas mileage. Then you can all argue how every other engine was obsolete and sucked and pretty much a waste of time and resources.

Motorcraft

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I would have to say after owning a ranger with a 3.0 auto on 33's and driving the hell out of it, the engine never gave me any issues and would do anything i asked of it, now my 4.0SOHC with 35's is more powerful but i get around the same fuel mileage with both trucks so eh. the 3.0 started every day and as far as i know is still driving my old truck around. this 4.0L i have in my truck hahahaha if it gets past 120k before dieing i will be happy

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Seems like some people get good 3.0 and some get dogs for a motor. I always hear people talking about how gutless they are, until they'd sit passenger in my good ol 92 3.go! too bad I sold that thing I loved that truck, and I got middle of the road MPG 17-18 in town 20-22 on the highway. I guess you either love them or hate them. I personally loved mine, alothough my next ranger will have a 2.3 duratech =].

hades

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Really? It's not in the list? Well maybe they got rid of it. Or perhaps, they're gonna update it or do some upgrades.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ford killed all of their few remaining pushrod engines this year (3.0, 4.2, whatever else there was). we wont be seeing a return of them, the design is just too outdated.

the duratec line will slowly replace everything soon. even the 4.0 SOHC's days are numbered...since the 3.5 duratec makes more power with less fuel.

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Seems like some people get good 3.0 and some get dogs for a motor. I always hear people talking about how gutless they are, until they'd sit passenger in my good ol 92 3.go! too bad I sold that thing I loved that truck, and I got middle of the road MPG 17-18 in town 20-22 on the highway. I guess you either love them or hate them. I personally loved mine, alothough my next ranger will have a 2.3 duratech =].
Apparently. A lot of the 3.0 haters have never owned one. As for those who have, I can only attribute it to them getting "bad apples." I love my 3.0. It scoots along pretty well, and it sounds so nice at 5000 RPM. There isn't anything I'd rather have but an EFI 5.0 in my truck.

loneranger04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i have 2004 ranger edge with the 3.0L and it has never let me down no matter what i ask of it.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
yea, no matter how much anyone hates the 3.0 it's bullet proof. i put a quart of oil in mine every time i filled up the fuel tank for over 70,000 miles and it never whimpered. I don't remember who said it but I love this "If you can manage to destroy a 3.0 that has oil and coolant in it, you shouldn't be able to operate anything more complex than a refirgerator".

bmxryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well ive never ridden in a 3.0L but when i bought my ranger and i heard there was a 3.0 and a 4.0 v6 i didnt see the point in buying a motor with less power and a small bit better mileage. is it really worth it? if i spend $75 more on gas a year for the power then i DEFINANTLY feel its worth it.

hihoslvr

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
F.O.R.D.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have 2004 ranger edge with the 3.0L and it has never let me down no matter what i ask of it.
x2 (knock on wood)

and to bmxryder: ever heard the phrase "Run whatcha brung"? If I had a 4.0, I probably wouldn't complain about it neithr. But I got what I got, and it's paid for too.

bmxryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
and to bmxryder: ever heard the phrase "Run whatcha brung"? If I had a 4.0, I probably wouldn't complain about it neithr. But I got what I got, and it's paid for too.

yeah i agree with run whatcha brung, but why did you end up with a 3.0? did you just blindly buy a truck without researching what you acually wanted?

hihoslvr

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
F.O.R.D.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hehe, yeah sort off. I had an old Toyota PU with a 3.0 V6. Wanted to get an F150 w/V6, couldn't find any I liked that I could afford (this was back in '04 mind you, when they were still goin' for 15K+), then I found this little gem, and the rest is history!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if i spend $75 more on gas a year for the power then i DEFINANTLY feel its worth it.
i drive 11,000 miles a year just for my commute (doesnt include other runnings around). my 3.0 gets 23-24MPG highway. we'll give the 4.0 a GENEROUS figure of 20MPG. if i average a cost of $3/gal for the year, that saves me about $300 a year on fuel. if we give the 4.0 a more realistic fuel economy figure like 18MPG, i save over $450 a year.

of coarse i actually drive more than that since i also tow my boat into town during the summer and drive out on the beach quite a bit...so actual savings are even higher.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
I have been in and driven countless 3.0's. Sure they aren't barburners perfomance wise, but they are dead nuts reliable. My wife's 08 Ranger with the 3.0 has been excellent. I ordered it with a 5 speed and a 4.10 limited slip so it will pull the 85 to the track pretty easily too.

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
It is weird what someone said, some 3.0's do seem really slow. I love the one in my pickup, it will get up and go, and it has 3.73 and open diff, extended cab so a little heavier. The ranger's we have at work also have the 3.0. but they are single cab with open 4.10 ratio, yet they go way slower. It takes them forever to get up to 3 grand for some reason, I know that I could beat them in my personal pickup. You would think they would haul ass with a single cab and low gears.... Still nice little pickups anyways though, even though they are xl's...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals