• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No 3.0 in new Rangers

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the point of my post went sailing over your head :D

the whole point behind the ecoboost is to allow the use of a smaller, more fuel efficient engine in place of a larger one without sacrificing power. e.g. a 6 cylinder will be used in place of an 8 cylinder, and a 4 banger in place of a v-6.

putting a v-6 "ecoboosted" engine in your ranger would provide the same mileage as its getting now...although with much higher power output. if ford was to equip the ranger with ecoboost, it would likely be a 4 cylinder which would provide v-6 power levels with 4 banger fuel economy.

they called it "ecoboost" because it boosts the economy without sacrificing power. if they were after more power with unchanged economy, they would have called it "powerboost" :icon_thumby:

souldoubt88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
putting a v-6 "ecoboosted" engine in your ranger would provide the same mileage as its getting now...although with much higher power output. :icon_thumby:
exactly. either way ive heard ford plans on puttin em f150's. and since we were talkin about engines being killed off (the 4.0L is probably next) i thought i would mention what a good(IMO) replacement choice would be. ideally they would offer both the 4 and 6.
(as they do now)

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I like the idea of the ecoboost boost engine it's all the other crap that goes with it that pisses me off. Some of the mileage gains wont be from engine tech but from the electric assisted steering and getting rid of the frame on the explorer. Anyone with an older truck in a norther climate (Salted roads) knows the electric crap goes first. Anyone with an electric shift t case or an electric speedo or ABS in the rust belt knows they just wont last as long as the old mechanical stuff. As for no frame, i can get one of those at the Jeep dealer if i want one. I wish they would just KISS a truck. Cheaper to buy and maintain. Europeans know and understand this but we dont. Give me a truck with a strong but efficient engine a manual tranny a manual shift T case a cable speedometer, 4 wheel disc brakes with NO ABS. 2 coil sprung solid axles. A fully boxed lightweight frame. 2 vinyl bench seats with a vinyl floor, for about $15,000-$20,000. NO air bags. No traction control. Otherwise I'll drive my 94 F350 PSD for the rest of my life. The only bell or whistle I want is a heated steering wheel and they dont make it. Go figure. RB

2004ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If they put the 3.5L in the F-150 im gonna be looking for the 3.5L in the junk yards to put in my ranger.

souldoubt88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
So many mixed feelings... Sucks the 3.0L is being retired but also excited to see what takes its place! hmmm

DaveThePear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
this thread's been dead for over 2 years... my Ranger with the 3L gets an average of 15mpg on a good day, lately 10.5mpg (yeah, I absolutely know how to do mileage calculations)... my dad drives an Exscrewsion and gets 9 with a V10! I rarely haul anything anymore, too expensive!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
this thread's been dead for over 2 years
So you revive it to complain about crappy mileage?

... my Ranger with the 3L gets an average of 15mpg on a good day, lately 10.5mpg (yeah, I absolutely know how to do mileage calculations)... my dad drives an Excursion and gets 9 with a V10! I rarely haul anything anymore, too expensive!
And this here tells me that something is very wrong with your truck as it should get much more than that even if you drive like a moron.

Go do some basic maintenance and get your CEL (which is probably burnt out by now) looked at.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals