• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

finally got some pics... what do ya think?

Quasi242

January 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Nice truck and belated congratulations on the OTOTM. Bonus rep for pushing you to 8 pages:)?

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
hey, thanks! you know id trade you trucks right? well actually id like to start all over from scratch tho.

Quasi242

January 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I really like how mine is turning out. I have learned so much working through the development of my truck. I thought long and hard about a SAS before I finally committed to the DBR.

c_note

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
well i got tired of the dinky jeep/ranger manual hubs so i decided to upgrade my Rubicon dana 44 with the Reid Racing knuckles that use 1/2 ton hubs. the knuckle come tapped and drilled for highsteer arms. so then i decided to design and machine my own highsteer arms.

i took some shots of the prototype arm being machined by the Haas TM-1 CNC mill. i wasnt able to check everything because someone at the shop tossed 2 of the 4 studs i needed to check for proper fitment. i guess ill just have to machine new studs as well. i plan on completing the conversion this weekend.

Prototype out of aluminum

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

mounted on the knuckle

i designed the arm to be a double sheer for the tierod and have the draglink mount on top of the the arm using the same bolt.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

c_note

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
dude that is sick what did you have to do for the solid front axle swap ?
well i had to cutt off all the a arm crap, machine new brackets, machine and weld Y-links, weld on coilover brackets, rebuild coilovers, strip axle and weld new brackets, build trac-bar drag-link and tie rod, machine inserts for teraflex knuckles, install steering box and build new steering shaft, and god know what else!

thanks for the compliment!

RangerSkate28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
4x4 sport
Engine Size
3.0 flex
Transmission
Automatic
dude! i know right! well i currently live in Maryland where there is no legal place to wheel. im hopin to go to roush creek or big dogs but its all like 3 hours away from me. im gonna have to find a club to go with cuz all my buddys have crap to wheel in. all stock jeeps n shize. ill put something together tho.

and ya, there is nowhere within a 100 mile radius that can re-charge my shocks either. this place blows!!!!
I live in VA and the only reason why I haven't put any serious suspension mods on mine is because there is no where to wheel...legally. IT SUCKs! The only offroading done here is in mud or on the beach in the OBX.

Anyway ur truck is sick and this is what i would do if I could!

If you want to try to get something together I am down to help for sure

Clay Lorance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 V8
Transmission
Automatic
c_note your truck is AWESOME! If I had the money and the welding skills i'd do it to mine.

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
can you still use the 5x4.5 bolt pattern with the new knuckles?

c_note

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
I live in VA and the only reason why I haven't put any serious suspension mods on mine is because there is no where to wheel...legally. IT SUCKs! The only offroading done here is in mud or on the beach in the OBX.

Anyway ur truck is sick and this is what i would do if I could!

If you want to try to get something together I am down to help for sure
im down for the beach, just dont expect me to put the truck anywhere near the water. i got a buddy with land out near chesapeak where i could do some hunting. i hope he still has the land anyways.

ive noticed theres quit a few members from VA. maybe we can have a meet sometime!

c_note

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
c_note your truck is AWESOME! If I had the money and the welding skills i'd do it to mine.
i split the cost in half by welding a machining ALOT of the parts. i dont think i ever spent retail on any of the parts. i got the coilovers for a pair of wheel spacers and an Alpine CD player. i got the Rubicon Dana 44 with a Detroit Locker, Chromoly shafts and hydro assist set-up for 2 half built dana 30s i bought for 50 bucks each and $250. the axle is worth 10 times that.

can you still use the 5x4.5 bolt pattern with the new knuckles?
nope. i can use 5 on 5.5, 6 on 5.5 or 8 on 6.5.

i do plan on doing dana 60 spindles on the rear axle and possible going with 6 on 5.5. i'll figure out a way.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
steering arms look beefy, one off custom made parts are what really makes for a nice rig. more pics please.

c_note

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
steering arms look beefy, one off custom made parts are what really makes for a nice rig. more pics please.
im workin on the 2 piece skid plate right now. im gonna machine the mounting tabs tomorrow and hopefully weld them on this weekend along with my buddy's rock sliders.

rangercrawler

Reaction score
WOW! Couldn't of said it better! I have always thought the same thing. :headbang:
Can't wait to build my ranger up like yours, great work! :icon_cheers:

thanks. but u know some redneck is gonna bash on it saying it wont hold up just because its not a dana 60 or some other type of overkill. to me, a good offroader can make it through a trail without making any body damage or break any parts. thats the true test and thats the way i was brought up as an offroader.

so if you can make a dana 30 hold up, ur the man.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals