• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Carb? EFI? What to choose.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
and one lesson in life, never you asume you know the 3-4 general reasons why people do somthing. Because as smart as anyone is, there is always someone smarter.

SRL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Automatic
If you have an intact EFI system that you know worked, it's not that hard to get it in. All it really needs is power for the ECM, fuel pump, and o2 sensors. On top of that is ignition and dash gauge wiring which you'll have to do regardless of whether you've got a carb or EFI. The only complications come from luxury items like cruise control and A/C. If your ranger doesn't have those (like mine) you don't even have to worry about that.

But like I said, make sure you have a complete system that works. Finding components in a yard will make your life a bazillion times harder and you may as well go for a carb in that case.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
There is no "gauge" nor "dash" wiring to do on a swap. The gauge wiring harness is completely separate from the EFI stuff, or at least it was on my 89. The only wiring I had to do was for the fuel pump to run a carb. Only dash wiring I did do was to adjust the factory tach to read with the V8 and a circuit to run my electric fans.

SRL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe the GenII trucks are different. I know on my 86 I had to wire the gauges up to the senders on my 5.0 for water temp and oil pressure

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i like carbs. Simple. They look nicer under the hood too.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
EFI!

it's not that complex.
and megasquirt II is looking really good for tuning.

mudranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
carbs...simple, no sensors, codes, extra wiring, useless emissions crap. less stuff to go wrong= better everyday reliability.....all the tech stuff controlled by all the input sensors to a cpu is really great ...until it doesn't work...then its just like every other sophisticated system when it breaks- its a paperweight. for the trail, gimme simple- I can almost always fix it right there well enough to limp home....

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
im sick of the ECM! If you can wire then go for it but a carb is way more simple for first timers.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
carbs are more reliable then EFI? Only to thouse who dont understand it. I understand both, and there is a reason why companys were moving over to efi in the 60's

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
carbs are more reliable then EFI? Only to those who dont understand it. I understand both, and there is a reason why companys were moving over to efi in the 60's
Like who? I always thought the big shift was more in the 80's with increasing emissions. GM had a distant relative of fuel injection in the 50's, it is worth alot of money now because nobody cared for it then making it a rare option.

BigBlockRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 (8.9L)
Transmission
Automatic
EFI > carb

Mechanical fuel injection has been around a loooooooonnnngggg time.

I'll never build another carb'd vehicle. Not with inexpensive EFI stuff like Megasquirt out there. Carbs are definately NOT more reliable than EFI. That's the equivalent of saying a set of points are more reliable than a duraspark ignition. (I'll leave the TFI out of that, LOL) They are reliable to the point that people pay no attention to them. Then when it finally starts causing trouble from lack of basic maintenance, people cuss about 'all them electronics' and want to slap a carb on there.

I can tune a carb, but I find it much easier to plug in the laptop, adjust a few settings, save them and go on about my business without having to pop the hood.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And everybody has a laptop with the programs to plug into their truck...

And when our Duraspark module was overheating in our one ton coming back from a tractor pull in July a set of points was looking mighty inviting.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
HA...See, hears the funny thing. Whne somthing new comes out, thouse who dont undrstand it tend to revert back to old technology, where they are more comfy. Im pritty damn sure everyone has some type of computer these days. Tuning a EEC IV system doesnt requier YOU to have a lap top accessable to "dial in" somthing. Its not like a carb boys, it doesnt need attention. Plug it in, power it up, and play on. When somthing goes wrong, replace the part, dont turn your brain off and start to drool and say you would rather use old school stuff. EFI is NOT hard to work with. Saying that EFI isnt as good as a carb....well, its like this way back when hydraulics were introduced, no one trusted then, and be damned if they were going to use hydraulics on THERE equipment....it was new, different and everyone trusted cables...including cable operated service breaks. NOW where are we? if somone was to tell you to use cable's levers and pully to activate the service breaks on YOUR TRUCK, you would say they are insain and there are better ways. Even tho billy bob can fix them olf breaks with a hammer. The technology is changing, and EFI isnt new any more, the tools are also changing. Accept it, learn how to work with it. But dont claim carbs are juss "better" only because one doesnt understand fuel injection. and EFI was being worked on way befor the 80's, and the principal of fuel injection is even OLDER then that.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Unless you are really good at guessing throwing parts at an EFI system you will not get anywhere without a code reader or scanner of some sort, the more money you spend the more it will tell you. 2/3's of the vehicles that have entered my stable have been fuel injected, I am by no means scared of them. But the 1/3 that are carbed have really given me little reason to ruthlessly bash carbs either.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
no ruthless bashing, carbs have there place, and you dont need a code reader to diagnose EFI problems

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals