• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Carb? EFI? What to choose.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

BigBlockRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 (8.9L)
Transmission
Automatic
Geez, I just posted that so maybe some of the guys interested in TBI's and GM computer's *might* get an idea of what parts they need.

:rolleyes:

baddad457, you have alway come across to me as a prick and this post is no different. Beat that? Beat what? You found a bunch of cheapo parts that could convert a Ranger to a carb (and screw it up so it would never pass state inspection around these parts). So freakin what? Instead of being a dick, maybe next time you could try to... I know this may be hard for you.... help these guys piece togeter a low buck EFI systen instead of blabbing about how wonderful carbs are.

:annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The only "dick" here is you, :icon_idea:I couldn't care less what the hell you think anyway.:thefinger: This thread IS all about CARB VS EFI isn't it? Or did you bother to READ the title? Seems to me, you're the sore loser(you can always tell who that is from the name calling they resort to:idiot:) and can't stand the fact that someone else can piece together something that's probably beyond your comprehension abilities.:icon_confused: So what, it won't pass emissions where you're at? Who the hell cares ? It ain't my fault you choose to live somewhere, where you gotta ask "permission" from the government to take a crap.:nopityA: I'll match my carb setup to your high dollar "wonderful" EFI system anytime. And when it seems to get out of tune, I'll have it fixed twice as fast for half the cost.:icon_rofl:

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't mind carbs, and I found his link very informative. You are buying all new stuff from that website, with enough markup for them to keep the lights on. I bet you could find the setup from a junkyard or someone ditching it to run either a different fuel injection setup or a carb alot cheaper than that and probably more in line with what you guesstimate your used carb stuff being. I have priced new stuff for a carb setup, it isn't exactly cheap either, unless you stumble apoun a deal. Not sure about your area but late 80's/early 90's Chevy pickups might as well be growing on trees around here, stuff should be pretty cheap and easy to find.

From what I understand assuming you have electric choke there is only 3 more wires than a carb, sounds pretty stupid simple to me. Like I mentioned before my dad's GMC would pass for being carbed until you got to looking at it, there is not much going on wiring wise under there.

BigBlockRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 (8.9L)
Transmission
Automatic
The only "dick" here is you, :icon_idea:I couldn't care less what the hell you think anyway.:thefinger: This thread IS all about CARB VS EFI isn't it? Or did you bother to READ the title? Seems to me, you're the sore loser(you can always tell who that is from the name calling they resort to:idiot:) and can't stand the fact that someone else can piece together something that's probably beyond your comprehension abilities.:icon_confused: So what, it won't pass emissions where you're at? Who the hell cares ? It ain't my fault you choose to live somewhere, where you gotta ask "permission" from the government to take a crap.:nopityA: I'll match my carb setup to your high dollar "wonderful" EFI system anytime. And when it seems to get out of tune, I'll have it fixed twice as fast for half the cost.:icon_rofl:

There's so much ignorance and flat out stupidity in this quote that I'm just going to have to leave it alone. Otherwise I'm afraid I'll be typing all day.....

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
can't stand the fact that someone else can piece together something that's probably beyond your comprehension abilities.:icon_confused:
I'd love to see how well an EFI system works that you've tuned as he has described. I don't know how you can justify saying something as such.

So what, it won't pass emissions where you're at? Who the hell cares ? It ain't my fault you choose to live somewhere, where you gotta ask "permission" from the government to take a crap.
No emission testing here, but I know my days are probably numbered. With things going the way they are, you shouldn't rely on that. Sorry, read the news:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/11/11/terrorist.surveillance.ap/index.html

Yeah, soon enough you'll have to ask for the government's permission to take a crap. Then they'll want to analyze it, thereafter.

I'll match my carb setup to your high dollar "wonderful" EFI system anytime. And when it seems to get out of tune, I'll have it fixed twice as fast for half the cost.:icon_rofl:
That's the thing, an EFI system won't come out of tune.... An EFI system might have an issue... every two years (and that's generously)? I didn't have to touch mine for 3 years after I rebuilt my 2.9L, and it was running on old EFI sensors from before the rebuild (maybe even some stock?). A carb needs re-tuned every season change, yes?

I have both EFI (177) and carb (327); they work.

Pete

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
My carbed setups last just as long as EFI. I've yet to have to make any adjustments to the setup in my Ranger and it's been running as is for two years now. You tune his EFI setup, I'll stick to what I know works. None of my carbs need adjustments with seasonal changes. That includes the triple two barrel setup on my 331. When you think a carb is out of tune, 90% of the time it's an ignition problem, 5% of that is fuel quality related (dirt or water in fuel) and the rest MAY be a carb issue.:rolleyes:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
There's so much ignorance and flat out stupidity in this quote that I'm just going to have to leave it alone. Otherwise I'm afraid I'll be typing all day.....

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
:nopityA:Yea, that's what I figured, you're in over your tiny little head.:icon_rofl:

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Fuel injection does the same exact thing a carb does....it gets fuel and air in the proper mix into the cylinder.

It just is 100X more complicated then it needs to be.

Cars have not progressed at all since the mid 70's, really, as far as engine mangement and emissions and what not go.....they just made waht was already being done more complicated so it could not be serviced by anyone but the dealer.

Press the acclerator on a 78 F150....does the engine rev? Yes. Press the acclerator on a 07 F150.....does the engine rev? Yes. On the 78 A throttle cable opened up the butterflys and more fuel was sent to the cylinders.

On the 07, the TB opens, sends a signal to this sensor, which sends one to this sensor, which sends to another, whcih sends it to the computer, which then finally opens up the pulse width on the injector and tells the engine to speed up.

Same thing....only more complicated.

later,
Dustin

BigBlockRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 (8.9L)
Transmission
Automatic
LOL I'm not the one that had to go back and edit my responses.....

:clapping:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
LOL I'm not the one that had to go back and edit my responses.....

:clapping:
And that means what ? Only that you're simple minded.:bsflag::idiot:Can't you come up with something more intelligent as a reply ? :icon_confused: Something relevent to the debate ? I'll give you a clue: when the title of the thread includes "VS" that means you're supposed to ARGUE your point, not name call your opponent, like a 5 year old :icon_rofl:

BigBlockRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 (8.9L)
Transmission
Automatic
It means I can compose a response without having to think about it and come back and change or add to what I said.

Check the title again blabber mouth. Funny, I don't see "VS" in it anywhere.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And that means what ? Only that you're simple minded.:bsflag::idiot:Can't you come up with something more intelligent as a reply ? :icon_confused: Something relevent to the debate ? I'll give you a clue: when the title of the thread includes "VS" that means you're supposed to ARGUE your point, not name call your opponent, like a 5 year old :icon_rofl:
I think the Carb vs EFI debate has raged in about every version of TRS and neither side has ever really won, because for every plus with one system has a fault in another area.

Aside from barging into an intellegant conversation about a super simple EFI swap that IMO would make a fool out of either setup I don't think your last few posts have really brought anything special to the table that hasn't been discussed before. Not to mention it is getting annoying, I have to side with BigBlock on this one, you can come across as being fairly abrasive.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
That goes both ways too. Neither of you are smooth operators yourselves. :icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals