• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Carb? EFI? What to choose.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You don't ALWAYS need a code reader to diagnose EFI problems but, sometimes you need even more sophisticated equipment. You never need any expensive equipment to solve a carb problem. Carbs also give you a lot more H.P. per dollar.
If I were building a street truck, I would use a carb.
Carburetors just plain don't belong on 4x4s. At least not on one of mine.
Efi systems do NOT provide better performance or fuel mileage. The only real benefit is driveability.

BigBlockRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 (8.9L)
Transmission
Automatic
Prior to yanking the 5.0L out of my Ranger in preparation for the big motor, my ranger had been sitting in the same place, unstarted for 4 months. Went out, put the battery back in, hit the key and it started on the first try. Try that with a carb! LOL

For me, a guy building a drag truck, EFI just makes it that much easier to tune the motor and make it run like I want it to. I can datalog my info, see where it needs improvement and make the necessary changes relatively easy and quickly.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Our 1967 International 1100 light half ton pickup with a 304 sat for 4 years without being started. Dumped a little gas in the carb, it turned over about three times before roaring to life without a fight. Couldn't ask for better, we were expecting a tooth and nail fight to get it going.

I have never had an issue with carbs on my offroader, but I don't too much of the off camber stuff that gives them fits either.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a lot of problems with the carb on the Mutant pony. When I made the sheetmetal intake that is on it now, I tilted the carb forward a little extra. That solved the hill climbing problem but, I still had issues with rough surfaces at speed.
My offroad Ranger has none of those problems as it is Efi. Both are extremly dependable and have sat for many months at a time without issue.
My mud truck is carburated and sits from aug to june every year. It fires right up and runs fine every summer. I would rather have Efi on the mud truck but, simply cannot afford an Efi system that will work on a 351c in a mud truck.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
I had the block checked out by a local rebuild/machine shop and, to my luck, she had been bored out 040 already. Only $60 to boil and magnaflux the block and check the crankshaft. Now I need aluminum heads for this beast. EFI all the way baby!!!

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
The only issue I can see is the height of the upper plenum on the truck EFI setup.

There's an early image from my swap. I was still using truck mounts at this point and the upper plenum would contact the hood. I ended up running a carb, but I'm still looking to run a GM TBI setup on my motor. That must be pretty similar to the electronic carb you were talking about.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ended up running a carb, but I'm still looking to run a GM TBI setup on my motor. That must be pretty similar to the electronic carb you were talking about.
I always wondered how well that would work on a Ford engine. You would get the best of both worlds, the nice clean look of a carburated engine and the versatility of EFI. I don't really know what all makes them work, but judging by the look of the 350 in my dad's '92 GMC it doesn't take a whole lot.

It is probably completely different but the feedback carburator system that came on my 2.8 really turned me off on any electronics on a carburator aside from the choke. :bad:

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
I've done a fair bit of research on this mod and I'm confident that it can be done with factory GM parts for far less than Holley is charging for their Pro Jection kits. Best bet is to find an early 90's Chevy truck with a V8. The computer need to do this is GM# 1227747. As long as you have that, the wiring harness and a few sensors (O2, TPS, IAT, ECT), you're golden. The fuel requirement on these systems is only 15-19 psi so finding a fuel pump shouldn't be too expensive.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What engine does that computer come with? I was thinking a setup off of a 305 should be pretty close for a 302, which is nice because those trucks don't hold their value all that well compared to a 350 truck.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
That computer came on everything from a 4.3 to 7.4 engines in CK series trucks, vans, Astro/Safari vans, and S trucks. Ideally if you get one, the 305 will have a PROM in it that will closely match our blue oval powerplants. Just make sure you get all the sensors with it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to hyjack this a little, but how well do you suppose all this would work on my 289? Are TB's different between engines or are they the same like the computers? I wouldn't think they would be the same but then I wouldn't have guessed the computers were either.

What is a PROM? That is one Acronym I have never came across

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
No problem. It would likely work just fine on a 289. Just need to make an adapter plate to mount your TBI unit on the carb intake. A PROM is a programmable read only memory. GM computers were often updated with different PROM chips. These chips are pressed into a socket on the PCM's board much the same way as a RAM module is installed on a computer motherboard.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did some poking around and found this, I notice they mention more sensors on it: the MAP, which doesn't sound all that hard to retrofit, the knock senser which could be tough, and the ESC or the electronic spark control, which means if the ignition is tied into this thing too we could have a problem there. Or are these not an issue with the one computer you specified?

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/tbi.html

Best line in the whole site, and I barely know what a PROM chip is.:icon_rofl:
Your factory PROM chip is a brainwashed tree hugging hippy.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Prior to yanking the 5.0L out of my Ranger in preparation for the big motor, my ranger had been sitting in the same place, unstarted for 4 months. Went out, put the battery back in, hit the key and it started on the first try. Try that with a carb! LOL.
I do it all the time with the 5.0 in my Ranger. Sits for weeks at a time in the yard. Go out, bump the starter and it fires right up. It's all in the cam choice and carb selection and tuning.:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals