• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 intake manifold and carb options?

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the links John, I have been all over that site before, looking at all the 2.3 goodies they have to offer, and I agree that Bo-port does have some decent deals… There is also some stuff on there that I can’t believe the price of, yikes! Haha

The D port gasket you linked to on the Bo-port website is a good deal, especially for a HD race gasket. However, it is for manifolds that have the coolant passage blocked off unless you wanted to cut it out yourself… It would make a perfect choice for the Esslinger D port intake manifold.

Here is another link for correct D port intake manifold gasket, cheapest I’ve found so far!

http://www.esslingeracing.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=E2803-5&Category_Code=GSK

Also, another option besides going to Ford for the HD rubber valve cover gasket.

http://www.esslingeracing.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=E2800&Category_Code=GSK

Drew- I'll give a link to my build thread at the end of this. There's not much there right now. Only how I'm doing the radiator and a little about the engine.
Right now, it's running a new 1776 with a mild cam, headers and a Weber 32/36. It runs good but I need it to pull my camper AND run good!
A couple people in here want to see the build in VW so here's a link. I hope to have it completed by late spring/early summer.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=138764
That is sick, I love it! Thank you for sharing, I am looking forward to seeing your progress. :icon_thumby:

It’s funny, and kind of ironic too… I thought I would share this link with you although it applies to the predecessor of the Ranger, the Courier. This is the reason that we don’t see VW single cabs too often, and why they are so rare (older ones especially). Also the reason there was a demand for an American made light truck…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

One of the problems with the offy intake is that it has quite big ports making for poor bottom and mid range.It works great for what it is for,rpm racing,but not the best for the street.The 88-89 EFI intake is a little better choice.Same thing with the head,if you get one with the smaller ports,you will have better throttle response on the street.
4b316 - Good call man, thank you for sharing all your great 2.3 knowledge that you have! Please, keep it coming. I am eager to learn more as I’m sure others are as well. It sounds like you have been around these 2.3’s for a while…. You run mini-stock right?

I would love to see any pictures of your engine if possible… :D

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
That wiki link was something else I'd never seen! thanks! Mine isn't even old('71), but I hear "I haven't seen one of those in ages" almost everyday.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
We race a 98 2.5 ranger right now.This is the second 98 that we built.First started with a 94,then another 94,a 95,a97,and then the 98,s.We are running EFI right now but several of the guys are running carbs.here is a link to our organization with rules,tour dates,photos etc.We are the 316 truck in the photos. http://www.wix.com/estseries/estracing

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
That wiki link was something else I'd never seen! thanks! Mine isn't even old('71), but I hear "I haven't seen one of those in ages" almost everyday.
Haha, I know huh? No problem man, I dig your ride though, as you said you don’t see them too often. I would think the 2.3L will be plenty for you to tow your cool trailer around. I’ll be eager to see it when you are finished for sure.

We race a 98 2.5 ranger right now.This is the second 98 that we built.First started with a 94,then another 94,a 95,a97,and then the 98,s.We are running EFI right now but several of the guys are running carbs.here is a link to our organization with rules,tour dates,photos etc.We are the 316 truck in the photos. http://www.wix.com/estseries/estracing
Nice man, that’s awesome. Thank you for sharing.

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anyone got any pictures of an OMC intake? I can't seem to find any and am curious what it looks like. 4b316, were you able to get down to 2650? That's light with a 6 point cage, and with driver.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Anyone got any pictures of an OMC intake? I can't seem to find any and am curious what it looks like. 4b316, were you able to get down to 2650? That's light with a 6 point cage, and with driver.
Search for posts by Kenneth S as he was using one about a year or so ago...think he was quite happy with the results but haven't seen him on here for a while...I will see if I can find a link to his thread(s)...

EDIT: Forget what I said...I found a bunch of his posts but the images are all dead links...guess he moved the pics...but, yeah, he had one working fine but was having carb issues or something that got him to go FI...

Last edited:

John Smith

Reaction score
I actually own one..

if you need anymore pics let me know..

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2262&pictureid=8842

It's a "d-port" style for all omc marine applications in the late 80's..
It generally uses a Rochester 2gc, and along with a Mallory marine diz touts 130-140 hp reportedly..

I actually have the manifold, carb, and diz..yet unused.

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Anyone got any pictures of an OMC intake? I can't seem to find any and am curious what it looks like.
Here are pictures of the one I bought off Ebay.

It generally uses a Rochester 2gc, and along with a Mallory marine diz touts 130-140 hp reportedly..
Good call man, when are you going to install everything? I would love to see it. I am gathering all those parts as well; however I think I will be going with an Autolite 2100 instead of the 2GC.

What size 2GC do you have for it? Do you know what size came on the stock OMC 2.3L?

What model of Mallory distributor do you have?

Not positive, but from what I have gathered the original OEM distributors in the 1987 through 1990 2.3L Cobras were Mallory YS point type (OMC also used some Prestolite point type distributors in 1990). However, the newer YL with the larger body allows you to convert to electronic ignition at a later date if you chose where as the older YS could not be converted.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hmmmm...nice colour...lol...

Are you going to tap in a vacuum tree for that? The only vac opening I see looks like one for the PCV...I'd want a brake booster and vac advance for my system...

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hmmmm...nice colour...lol...

Are you going to tap in a vacuum tree for that? The only vac opening I see looks like one for the PCV...I'd want a brake booster and vac advance for my system...
Haha, I know right? It’s got that nice rust finish; you hold onto an intake this cherry…:cool:

I plan on sanding the shit out of it and painting it up, along with what you suggested – tapping a vacuum tree for the brake booster and vacuum advance.

I may still eventually be looking into the Esslinger intake, but I wanted to make sure and get this one while I could find it for the price it was, even if it is a little rough.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor

Gee, I'd think they rate a marine application in whale power or even dolphin power...

Haha, I know right? It’s got that nice rust finish; you hold onto an intake this cherry…:cool:

I plan on sanding the shit out of it and painting it up, along with what you suggested – tapping a vacuum tree for the brake booster and vacuum advance.

I may still eventually be looking into the Esslinger intake, but I wanted to make sure and get this one while I could find it for the price it was, even if it is a little rough.
I'm sure you will do it up nicely...

I was into painting things on my truck till I discovered the difference between regular and high heat paint...I can still see traces of the regular blue paint I sprayed on my exhaust manifold...:icon_confused: it was more smoke than I'd seen in a long time and thought I'd screwed something up...lol

John Smith

Reaction score
I have the long block engine built..

Here are pictures of the one I bought off Ebay.

Good call man, when are you going to install everything? I would love to see it. I am gathering all those parts as well; however I think I will be going with an Autolite 2100 instead of the 2GC.

What size 2GC do you have for it? Do you know what size came on the stock OMC 2.3L?

What model of Mallory distributor do you have?

Not positive, but from what I have gathered the original OEM distributors in the 1987 through 1990 2.3L Cobras were Mallory YS point type (OMC also used some Prestolite point type distributors in 1990). However, the newer YL with the larger body allows you to convert to electronic ignition at a later date if you chose where as the older YS could not be converted.
but I have been at an intersection to use the engine either in an "88" b2, or carbed as a drop-in for an 84-85 B2. I bought all the OMC stuff a year or so ago and have the Original Cobra 2GC carb, and YS points diz you talked about. I have sold my 88 b2..since it was running so well as a 2.9, I never did anything but make a DD out of it. When i bought this present 84 B2 I had in mind now i finally have the one to put this 2.3L into,,but i have been involved in fine turning the 2.8, and so far have not decided to do anything yet with this long block I have built. (It's a "92" .040 over flat tops, with an early style 4 plug d-port head, overhauled with a roller cam etc.)..

I think this OMC manifold has the capability of making a fine motor run, and Since the 2GC bolts right up it's tempting to use it, but a small 2100 tuned well would work as well.

I also have a couple late 70's aluminum Pinto manifolds that are OVAL port that I could use with an oval port head with LARGE valves. Not sure what I'm going to do with all of these at the moment..but it makes for good conversation...

I also have a few duraspark diz's so I'm not hurting for a way to fire it..

As a side note, I just acquired another 91 complete engine that I may sell the head from if someone is interested. I DO want the roller cam and followers but the rest I would sell complete (valves etc)...this engine was running ..just not well (smoking etc)..I suspect rings..

I also don't need the ignition parts of intake and coils etc for a 91..I only am into the pre-89 stuff..(early)

I also have an extra 88' lower intake...not sure what I'll do with that either..I have basically everything to make this 91 long block into EFI or Carb..along with the 94-up tube header..

I also have a few spares of the original Ford service tools for these if anyone is interested in certain ones...

Last edited:

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2262&pictureid=8842

Thanks John. That definitely settles my curiosity. I could have used that manifold in the first place on my current motor, though I suppose the manifold I have matches my head better than a D port manifold would.

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think this OMC manifold has the capability of making a fine motor run, and Since the 2GC bolts right up it's tempting to use it, but a small 2100 tuned well would work as well.

I also have a couple late 70's aluminum Pinto manifolds that are OVAL port that I could use with an oval port head with LARGE valves. Not sure what I'm going to do with all of these at the moment..but it makes for good conversation...

As a side note, I just acquired another 91 complete engine that I may sell the head from if someone is interested. I DO want the roller cam and followers but the rest I would sell complete (valves etc)...this engine was running ..just not well (smoking etc)..I suspect rings..

I also don't need the ignition parts of intake and coils etc for a 91..I only am into the pre-89 stuff..(early)

I also have an extra 88' lower intake...not sure what I'll do with that either..I have basically everything to make this 91 long block into EFI or Carb..along with the 94-up tube header..

I also have a few spares of the original Ford service tools for these if anyone is interested in certain ones...
So many choices...

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
but I have been at an intersection to use the engine either in an "88" b2, or carbed as a drop-in for an 84-85 B2. I bought all the OMC stuff a year or so ago and have the Original Cobra 2GC carb, and YS points diz you talked about. I have sold my 88 b2..since it was running so well as a 2.9, I never did anything but make a DD out of it. When i bought this present 84 B2 I had in mind now i finally have the one to put this 2.3L into,,but i have been involved in fine turning the 2.8, and so far have not decided to do anything yet with this long block I have built. (It's a "92" .040 over flat tops, with an early style 4 plug d-port head, overhauled with a roller cam etc.)..

Damn man, that’s awesome that you have acquired such a plethora of good parts, as upnsmoke said – so many choices! Are you building your B2 for off-road, or as a daily driver? Whatever you end up deciding, I’m interested to see! Sounds like it's going to be sweet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals