• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 intake manifold and carb options?

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Good info...I was just thinking about how nice it would be to have a carb sticky showing what carbs fit what intakes and all that...as well as adapter part numbers...and breather specs...it would be nice to have pics too...

We've had a run on carb questions lately and some very good information has come out that I wished I had six years ago when I was looking for a good carb/intake combo...I guess I was fortunate to find what I did because it has been a big difference compared to the stock setup...
I totally agree Mark. There is plenty of good information all over the site, but it’s not all together. You have to really look for it. I’m down to help with that carb/intake sticky anyway I can, and also would be eager to see what others contribute.

I just paid $60 for that same damn adapter, except it's made by Holley. I was even on Summit's site trying to find a spacer and that didn't show up!!!! WTF
That sucks… Damn name brands for ya. At least you know that your Holley carb will mesh up perfect with your Holley adapter, haha. Your setup is going to be sick though man, I can't wait to see it.

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good info...I was just thinking about how nice it would be to have a carb sticky showing what carbs fit what intakes and all that...as well as adapter part numbers...and breather specs...it would be nice to have pics too...

We've had a run on carb questions lately and some very good information has come out that I wished I had six years ago when I was looking for a good carb/intake combo...I guess I was fortunate to find what I did because it has been a big difference compared to the stock setup...
I am with you on this one Mark. I think if everyone posted what they knew in a thread, i.e. this intake manifold works on this and that head, this carb works on this manifold with this spacer, the information could be compiled into a fairly complete listing that would cover all the popular combinations of carbs, heads, and intakes. I am surprised just how popular these old 4cyl Rangers are, and how many people are customizing them, be it for power or just to keep them alive. I think it would be worth it to give a try at making an article out of everyone's collective knowledge on the subject. I would have likely gone a different route on my engine had I known what I know now, and would at least have had a better chance of coming up with a working combination on my first try.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I totally agree Mark. There is plenty of good information all over the site, but it’s not all together. You have to really look for it. I’m down to help with that carb/intake sticky anyway I can, and also would be eager to see what others contribute.

That sucks… Damn name brands for ya. At least you know that your Holley carb will mesh up perfect with your Holley adapter, haha. Your setup is going to be sick though man, I can't wait to see it.
That's the problem I've found...all spread out and no place to go to find an all-in-one answer...

I am with you on this one Mark. I think if everyone posted what they knew in a thread, i.e. this intake manifold works on this and that head, this carb works on this manifold with this spacer, the information could be compiled into a fairly complete listing that would cover all the popular combinations of carbs, heads, and intakes. I am surprised just how popular these old 4cyl Rangers are, and how many people are customizing them, be it for power or just to keep them alive. I think it would be worth it to give a try at making an article out of everyone's collective knowledge on the subject. I would have likely gone a different route on my engine had I known what I know now, and would at least have had a better chance of coming up with a working combination on my first try.
Yes...I was advised years ago to get a roller cam...so I finally did...not that I don't think they're great...but the newer heads are apparently better for a number of reasons...

I think if we put together a collection it would be a hit...maybe even make a sticky...but at least with the four bangers we can keep it down to a "what works and what is OK" type of collection.

I've seen quite a few new members who build circle track racers and reading their posts I just have to say "wow..." wish that information was available in a sticky...

Let's see what we can come up with and present it to the submission for tech bulletin status...maybe an add-to sticky that can serve as a guide to help others and a reference point for those who are part way there already or want to keep certain parts and just improve what they have...:icon_thumby:

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Drewnukesem, I look forward to seeing how that 2100 carb works out for you. It certainly sounds straightforward enough. I finally got my motor fired up with the MSD box today, and saw a significant change in the low rpm performance of the motor. It changed enough, as a matter of fact, that I suspect my OE module had an issue. The motor starts up and idles without having to be kept alive with the throttle, even cold, and I was able to take some timing out of it. I didn't drive the truck yet as I still need to button up the wiring, but I suspect that it will be much more driveable now, especially on cold days. I was also able to retain the wiring required to use the stock ignition module as well. I now have a spare coil under the hood and a spare ignition module to keep in the glove box, which reduce my chances of being stranded. On a separate note, I have eliminated the coolant line leaving the intake manifold, and let the motor get up to full temperature without issue. I have not gotten a gasket yet to block the ports between the head and manifold, so coolant is still present in the manifold, but no longer exits on the other side. I intend take the truck out and run it hard in stop and go conditions for a while tomorrow, so I will know then if I have any issues yet to be dealt with. I got a few pictures of my underhood if anyone is curious to see it -link.

Last edited:

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Drewnukesem, I look forward to seeing how that 2100 carb works out for you. It certainly sounds straightforward enough. I finally got my motor fired up with the MSD box today, and saw a significant change in the low rpm performance of the motor. It changed enough, as a matter of fact, that I suspect my OE module had an issue. The motor starts up and idles without having to be kept alive with the throttle, even cold, and I was able to take some timing out of it. I didn't drive the truck yet as I still need to button up the wiring, but I suspect that it will be much more driveable now, especially on cold days. I was also able to retain the wiring required to use the stock ignition module as well. I now have a spare coil under the hood and a spare ignition module to keep in the glove box, which reduce my chances of being stranded. On a separate note, I have eliminated the coolant line leaving the intake manifold, and let the motor get up to full temperature without issue. I have not gotten a gasket yet to block the ports between the head and manifold, so coolant is still present in the manifold, but no longer exits on the other side. I intend take the truck out and run it hard in stop and go conditions for a while tomorrow, so I will know then if I have any issues yet to be dealt with. I got a few pictures of my underhood if anyone is curious to see it -link.
I intend to clean up the wiring and go run the piss out of it tomorrow.
Thank you upnsmoke. Now that I have decided what parts to use, I am working on getting everything ordered so I can just go crazy for a couple days and get everything installed. I’m really looking forward to seeing how my Ranger will awaken.

I’m stoked to hear the MSD box helped you out! Eager to hear how it drives and performs for you. Good call on keeping the extra parts in your rig; you never know what could go wrong on the trail, or road. Always better to be prepared, and have peace of mind.

Sweet pictures man, thank you for sharing. How did it run? Any problems from plugging off the intake manifold coolant exit? Do you have any new pics with the cleaned up wiring?

Your engine bay looks nice without all that emission stuff, makes me look forward to getting started on mine that much more!

That’s a pretty sweet AF monitor, straight old school. I would totally get distracted if I had one of those things haha.

Haha, nice shift knob, reminds me of Rat Fink…

What is the lift setup you are running? Your Ranger has a nice stance; do the 31’s rub at all?

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
That's the problem I've found...all spread out and no place to go to find an all-in-one answer...

Yes...I was advised years ago to get a roller cam...so I finally did...not that I don't think they're great...but the newer heads are apparently better for a number of reasons...

I think if we put together a collection it would be a hit...maybe even make a sticky...but at least with the four bangers we can keep it down to a "what works and what is OK" type of collection.

I've seen quite a few new members who build circle track racers and reading their posts I just have to say "wow..." wish that information was available in a sticky...

Let's see what we can come up with and present it to the submission for tech bulletin status...maybe an add-to sticky that can serve as a guide to help others and a reference point for those who are part way there already or want to keep certain parts and just improve what they have...:icon_thumby:
Good call Mark, I will help out any way I am able to. I completely agree about reading posts that I wished were sticky… It’d just be so much better for future and existing members to have access to all the sweet info and common questions in a sticky. Many questions would be answered, and members would have more solid ideas to go off of, and be more confident if it wasn’t something that you had to look around all over the place and cross reference to find out if it was legit information. I think it is a great idea.

Also, just out of curiosity, what makes the newer heads so much better besides the roller cam? Did you feel like you had any good performance improvements from it?

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
This thread has been GREAT for me! I've all kinds of notes to take to the pull-it!
I've been looking for an OMC intake but they are far and few between (it seems to me, anyway).

Upnsmoke- the pictures tell me I"m going to have to cut my bed and make a box because it doesn't look as if the carb is low enough. Thanks for the pics.

DrewNukesEm- in case you are in the dark on my project, I'm putting a 2.3L in a 1971 VW truck. I have an EFI intake so it looks like I'll have to get that RacerWalsh adapter and buy a Holley 350. I found the carb on Ebay for $299. That doesn't hurt too bad.
If I had MORE money I would go with the Offenhauser dual-port and 32/36. My application is for street driving and pulling a 1,000 pound camper up and down Arkansas hills.

Time out!- I just went to Racer Walsh and found the Offenhauser 6222C. The carb I already have (Holley 5200) will fit. I think I just found the way I'm going!
Thanks to this thread!!

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know how informative my info is to junk yard crawlers (and that ain't an insult)but feel free to use it in the sticky if you want.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I went back and looked at the Offenhauser 6114DP. It is not for the 32/36. From their website-

Make FORD
Engine Type L4
Engine Size 2.3L/140
Liter 2.3
CID 140
Beginning Year 1974
Ending Year 1982
Engine Family Ford 4-cylinder
Carburetor Mounting 4-barrel square bore
Cylinder Head Style (application) Stock configuration
Application Notes Holley 6299 or 8007 must remove kickdown arm for clearance. Carter 9400 works fine.

This says ending year 1982. From reading in this website, I thought you could use it on later heads also (I have a 1987).
Thoughts?

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you upnsmoke. Now that I have decided what parts to use, I am working on getting everything ordered so I can just go crazy for a couple days and get everything installed. I’m really looking forward to seeing how my Ranger will awaken.

I’m stoked to hear the MSD box helped you out! Eager to hear how it drives and performs for you. Good call on keeping the extra parts in your rig; you never know what could go wrong on the trail, or road. Always better to be prepared, and have peace of mind.

Sweet pictures man, thank you for sharing. How did it run? Any problems from plugging off the intake manifold coolant exit? Do you have any new pics with the cleaned up wiring?

Your engine bay looks nice without all that emission stuff, makes me look forward to getting started on mine that much more!

That’s a pretty sweet AF monitor, straight old school. I would totally get distracted if I had one of those things haha.

Haha, nice shift knob, reminds me of Rat Fink…

What is the lift setup you are running? Your Ranger has a nice stance; do the 31’s rub at all?
My truck runs pretty good right now. It is very driveable and pretty quick. I need to get my 8.8 done and get it back in the truck. I have a 7.5 with 3.73s in it right now and the truck feels like it is geared for an attempt at a land speed record.
I only drove the truck a few miles today, but was able to get it to full temperature, and have not yet seen any ill effects. I intend to take it farther and keep it running longer tomorrow. For now, cleaned up wiring = more wire ties. One day I intend to install an aftermarket wiring harness, but I believe at that time that one thing will lead to another, and the truck will once again become a project. I think I am about ready to call the drivetrain and brakes finished and roadworthy, at least for now. The suspension needs some finishing up, but it's good enough for now.
All of the things I have gotten rid of under the hood have freed up a lot of space. There is enough free space in the engine bay in fact, that I can comfortably sit on the core support while I work on the motor. The tires have not rubbed significantly yet, to my knowledge, and I have bounced the truck around pretty good. The lift in the front is 4" lift coils, stock beams bent by Autofab to correct camber, and radius arms modified by Autofab to use stock mounts while maintaining correct caster and fore/aft orientation of the front wheels. I intend to go to F-250 front shocks soon as described in the tech library.
When you are done, be sure to look everything over a last time before you head out for a test drive. The more involved and extensive the work is that you do, the easier it seems to be to overlook the simplest of things. A stuck throttle about gave me a heart attack on my first test drive with the Holley. All I am saying is that oversights happen to the best of them, but nobody wants to be the guy that forgets to pump up the brakes and takes out the garage door.

Last edited:

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Itlives, is this the intake you are looking at?

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
This thread has been GREAT for me! I've all kinds of notes to take to the pull-it!
I've been looking for an OMC intake but they are far and few between (it seems to me, anyway).

Upnsmoke- the pictures tell me I"m going to have to cut my bed and make a box because it doesn't look as if the carb is low enough. Thanks for the pics.

DrewNukesEm- in case you are in the dark on my project, I'm putting a 2.3L in a 1971 VW truck. I have an EFI intake so it looks like I'll have to get that RacerWalsh adapter and buy a Holley 350. I found the carb on Ebay for $299. That doesn't hurt too bad.
If I had MORE money I would go with the Offenhauser dual-port and 32/36. My application is for street driving and pulling a 1,000 pound camper up and down Arkansas hills.

Time out!- I just went to Racer Walsh and found the Offenhauser 6222C. The carb I already have (Holley 5200) will fit. I think I just found the way I'm going!
Thanks to this thread!!
Itlives – I totally agree man. I am super happy that there are other people besides myself that are able to take good knowledge and search less for the answers they may be looking for. This thread seems like it has a lot of common questions, and hopefully many will be answered!

I found my OMC intake manifold on Ebay, as did bigpanda. If you check every so often, they will pop up. I have also seen Offenhauser 2.3 intake manifolds as well, but they are more expensive.

Your project sounds awesome; I’d really like to see it. I am a big fan of air cooled VW’s, but obviously I would like to see one with a Ford 2.3 as well. I used to have a ’63 bug that was dumped way too much, with a built 1776cc dual-port with dual Dellorto’s.

I’m eager to see your final setup as well! You should add whatever you decide to this thread when you are done.

I felt inspired after much reading and research today, so I decided to go rip into my Ranger and take all the stuff off the intake side of the engine. When I originally bought the Ranger, I was told it blew the head gasket and the old man that owned it at the time tried to tackle the project himself, but got sick in the process and was put in a home. I was also told he had replaced the head gasket, had the head rebuilt, and the timing belt replaced but just wasn’t able to put it all back together. After getting into it, I confirmed that it had been taken apart prior due to every bolt I loosened was not tight at all (made for easy disassembly though!). I also realized that I think I have been lied to and that the head was definitely not rebuilt, or look like it had even been off since the head gasket blew.

I’m not too worried about it though, my head was the “Ranger oval type” that most likely would have cause fuel pooling if used with the OMC D port intake. Now I am planning on getting a rebuilt head with the proper wide D shaped intake to accept the OMC intake. The wider D shaped heads were from passenger car and marine applications correct?

I also wanted to share some info I found that may be helpful to others as well. While looking for gaskets for the wide D shaped intake manifolds, I noticed that the most common (Felpro) gasket offered by auto parts stores do not match up with the intake ports perfectly, they are actually large oval shaped. Through searching I found that if you get the gasket through the Ford dealer it is the correct shape with the flat intake port bottoms – Ford part # E59Z-9439-A. Or an easier and possibly cheaper choice, you can get a gasket made for the OMC 2.3 marine engine manufactured by Sierra part # 18-0431 (replaces OMC part # 912471). It runs about $25-$30 online.

Also, if anyone is interested in the durable rubber valve cover gasket with metal inserts at all of the bolt holes, as opposed to the cork type, the Ford part # is F57Z-6584-A.

:icon_thumby:

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Drew- I'll give a link to my build thread at the end of this. There's not much there right now. Only how I'm doing the radiator and a little about the engine.
Right now, it's running a new 1776 with a mild cam, headers and a Weber 32/36. It runs good but I need it to pull my camper AND run good!

upnsmoke- I was looking at that intake, but now, I think the the other one I referenced to would be better for everyday driving. Since it uses the 32/36 I already have, it'll be easier on my wallet and still have enough go to pull te camper.

A couple people in here want to see the build in VW so here's a link. I hope to have it completed by late spring/early summer.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=138764

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
One of the problems with the offy intake is that it has quite big ports making for poor bottom and mid range.It works great for what it is for,rpm racing,but not the best for the street.The 88-89 EFI intake is a little better choice.Same thing with the head,if you get one with the smaller ports,you will have better throttle response on the street.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals