• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Ranger Project

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
That bed box is in great shape. I broke my Torx bit on a bed bolt it was so rusted into it.

Rock wall looks great.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What is that bed bolt tied in to? Any way heating would help to break it free.
I guess there's fuel lines and stuff in there tho eh?

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah I should have taken a pic before I swept out the bucket full of dirt and pine needles that somehow got under that liner. I’m happy with how solid it is.
Yeah Terry, I broke multiple torx bits on the last two. I’m not playing this time. My torx bit was slightly disfigured after I armstronged it. It’s gonna get nuts welded to them then the “I’m not asking” breaker bar is coming out followed by the impact gun. 😂

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
’97, '06
Make / Model
Pontiac, Dodge
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The bolts go into "J" type nuts that attach to the frame. Most of the threaded shank is exposed to water splashing from the road...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have found that PB Blaster penetrating catalyst to be fairly decent stuff.
If you could get it in there in a way that lets it set, and Slowly soak its way through, you might come out with an operable impact, maybe?

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The bolts go into "J" type nuts that attach to the frame. Most of the threaded shank is exposed to water splashing from the road...
Yep. And they usually rust and fuse together. About half of the 12 bolts I removed on the two boxes I’ve already removed sheared in half. That’s why a trap door will be installed for accessing the fuel pump. Already got a lid cut out of my original box. Once this box is on for the last time in final assembly after paint it won’t ever be coming off again if I can help it.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well. Got the box off. Welded nuts to the box bolts. Used the “I’m not asking” breaker bar. My impact wasn’t much help so I worked up a pretty good sweat getting them off. They stayed in one piece this time. Pressure washed the underside. Now I’m off to get more Herculiner for the underside. This job should be way easier than the cab as I don’t have to lay on my back. 👍🏻
IMG_6838.jpeg
IMG_6839.jpeg
IMG_6840.jpeg
IMG_6841.jpeg

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well. Got the box off. Welded nuts to the box bolts. Used the “I’m not asking” breaker bar. My impact wasn’t much help so I worked up a pretty good sweat getting them off. They stayed in one piece this time. Pressure washed the underside. Now I’m off to get more Herculiner for the underside. This job should be way easier than the cab as I don’t have to lay on my back. 👍🏻View attachment 109128View attachment 109129View attachment 109130View attachment 109131
So.....

I see the picture of the "wasn't much help" impact. I see a picture of a normal breaker bar. Where's the "I'm not asking" breaker bar?

My "not asking bar" is a 1/2 drive bar with a 4-5' cheater pipe or floor jack handle slipped over it. Or if it's big enough a 1" drive ratchet with a similar pipe. Usually when those come out we're past removing a bolt and just trying to get the bolt head off to remove the piece. The 1/2 bar with cheater pipe did get used on some exhaust stuff recently.

Any how, good work on getting the bed off! Look forward to seeing pictures of the end results with the herculiner. That said, if you get it on your hootus.. Please, Please don't post pics, as this is a family friendly forum. However, please do share the details so we can have a good laugh at your expense.

(PS: If you are not familiar with the "Herculined Hootus" story, give it a search. I believe that it originated on Explorer Forums. It's a good cautionary tale for anyone using Herculiner and a great laugh.)

(PPS: Here's I found the original thread for reference: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/how-do-i-get-herculiner-off-of-my-hootus.18595/)

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
So.....

I see the picture of the "wasn't much help" impact. I see a picture of a normal breaker bar. Where's the "I'm not asking" breaker bar?

My "not asking bar" is a 1/2 drive bar with a 4-5' cheater pipe or floor jack handle slipped over it. Or if it's big enough a 1" drive ratchet with a similar pipe. Usually when those come out we're past removing a bolt and just trying to get the bolt head off to remove the piece. The 1/2 bar with cheater pipe did get used on some exhaust stuff recently.

Any how, good work on getting the bed off! Look forward to seeing pictures of the end results with the herculiner. That said, if you get it on your hootus.. Please, Please don't post pics, as this is a family friendly forum. However, please do share the details so we can have a good laugh at your expense.

(PS: If you are not familiar with the "Herculined Hootus" story, give it a search. I believe that it originated on Explorer Forums. It's a good cautionary tale for anyone using Herculiner and a great laugh.)

(PPS: Here's I found the original thread for reference: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/how-do-i-get-herculiner-off-of-my-hootus.18595/)
Thank you for digging that up!

I honestly think that thread is the funniest thing that I've ever read on the internet.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looks like it’s making me sign up to read it?? Oh well, recently bought a 2000 Explorer Limited with the 5.0. for a daily to save wear and tear on my F-350 7.3L.
It’s mint and only has 158K kms. Guess I won’t be a poser over there. 😜
IMG_6749.jpeg
IMG_6747.jpeg
IMG_6751.jpeg
IMG_6750.jpeg
IMG_6754.jpeg
IMG_6752.jpeg
IMG_6753.jpeg

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So.....

Yeah that’s my biggest “I ain’t asking” bar.
The rest is all braun. 😂😂
I did have a hunk of sched 40 pipe in the corner that I threatened those bolts with if they didn’t play nice. 😂

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah, I had enough of that braun stuff at work, installing and removing bolts that require several hundred ft/lb of torque. At home, I'm using all the mechanical advantage I can get.

Nice Explorer. Looks like the same thing I used for a donor on my '99 Ranger swap, except its white and in a LOT nicer condition. Is that one 2wd or AWD. Not a bad alternative to putting miles on the 7.3L. My 250 gets around 19 mpg vs the 15 I was getting in the Ranger (pre swap), but I still prefer parking it until I needed it for much the same reason. Curious to see where I end up on MPG with the Ranger post swap and after I regear.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
That is a clean looking Explorer. A friend of mine that is far more knowledgeable then I am says the Explorer with the V8 emblem on the side is one of the best motors to get. He says it is still a workout to get it out of the engine bay.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah, I had enough of that braun stuff at work, installing and removing bolts that require several hundred ft/lb of torque. At home, I'm using all the mechanical advantage I can get.

Nice Explorer. Looks like the same thing I used for a donor on my '99 Ranger swap, except its white and in a LOT nicer condition. Is that one 2wd or AWD. Not a bad alternative to putting miles on the 7.3L. My 250 gets around 19 mpg vs the 15 I was getting in the Ranger (pre swap), but I still prefer parking it until I needed it for much the same reason. Curious to see where I end up on MPG with the Ranger post swap and after I regear.
Yeah, I found this Explorer seeking a donor for a V8 swap. It blew my mind how nice it was, and there is no way I’m taking it apart. It’s AWD. The price of 1 ton diesel crew cabs these days to replace what I have is stupid here in Canada. If I upgraded to a 6.7L I’d be looking at $60K plus at minimum for a decent one. This exploder now allows me to take the time to do both the Ranger and Bronco II builds right.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got a little time today to work on the box. Cleaned and degreased the underside and started the application of Herculiner. Thankfully and proud to say I got none on my Hootus. 😂
IMG_6861.jpeg
IMG_6860.jpeg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals