• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Ranger Project

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Also ordered a single din 10”
screen stereo. It’s huge and will take some serious getting used to, or may just
mount it on the hood and pretend that I'm at the drive-in.

Just kidding; the "big 10 inch" does look wild against a first gen dash.

Nice old sled, too.

maddyn

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/91
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@Awesom-O let us know how you like the radio. Thinking of putting something similar in my 91, curious to know how it works out, or if it's just too big/in the way

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@Awesom-O let us know how you like the radio. Thinking of putting something similar in my 91, curious to know how it works out, or if it's just too big/in the way
will do. I’ll probably go ahead and mount it for now. Can swap it out easy enough later. There is a smaller one on Amazon right now that I think would look far better from Joying, but man it is twice the price and still not a Pioneer or Alpine.

Attachments

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, just came back from vacation in Mexico, so haven’t worked on the Ranger for a while. Got on it a bit today and wired up a night/kill switch. It’s a 2 position switch so when the starter is disengaged it activates a set of horns that I pulled off a parts truck. So hopefully it’s never needed but if they are cranking with the key or a screwdriver they gonna be making some noise. Lol.
Pulled the rear bumper today and hit it with the sandblaster. Gave it a coat of Herculiner and used some Eastwood Plastic resurfacer on the trim. It will get installed with my new reciever hitch as well on Friday. Sorry never even thought to take any pics, but one small step closer to completion I guess?

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not much again, but made a winch bracket for my headache rack with scrap steel I had laying around. Should help dragging a deer in the back when solo. Would have loved to have this when I loaded my moose last fall solo whole!
IMG_6499.jpeg
IMG_6500.jpeg
IMG_6501.jpeg

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
With that design I would expect it to be able to pull maybe 150 pounds before it starts folding back, I would strongly suggest some gussets that go back further, even if they're removeable sticks that go in the rear stake pockets to the top corners

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
With that design I would expect it to be able to pull maybe 150 pounds before it starts folding back, I would strongly suggest some gussets that go back further, even if they're removeable sticks that go in the rear stake pockets to the top corners
I'm going to lengthen the bottom plate for sure and add a better gusset. But when you see the design of how I winch animals in it really will be adequate. That rack is all steel and will hold just fine like we did with my buddies truck. If I could figure out how to post a video I’d show you it in action.

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Would have loved to have this when I loaded my moose last fall solo whole!
Next time, just trick the moose to jump into the truck bed, then shoot him. They'll go after a red flag like a bull will, right? (y)

Last edited:

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I managed to get the small bull into my 6 inch lifted F-350 Superduty truck with my brains, my back, my quad, and one tie down strap. Wayyyy easier unloading him with the mini. 😜
IMG_3207.jpeg
IMG_3208.jpeg

Last edited:

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Finished the back rack. I still may add some tie down provisions for straps etc, and my plan is to fill in the side gusset areas with a CNC cut design of some kind to liven it up a bit. This thing is solid as I added some flat bar to the sides, back and some angle steel to the top bar. Lots of welding and grinding but this thing will aid in pulling a moose in now and not just a deer. I plan on welding square stock to the plates that go into the box stake holes and bolting in from there too. Not sure on the finish yet as it’s just in primer to keep flash rust off the bare metal. Powder coat or Raptor Liner will be the most likely.
IMG_6531.jpeg

Last edited:

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Found your thread. I am on page 3. You have done some great work. I like how well your interior has turned out. I am hoping to get mine in that kind of shape that it looks new. That is my goal. Great job!!!

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Dayum!!! You have done some really serious work to your truck on all areas. Great job!!! I like seeing the Buick in the back ground. On day I want to do a 50's car.

Your dash turned out great. Where did you get your chrome marker pen for the chrome on the dash plastic strips?

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Dayum!!! You have done some really serious work to your truck on all areas. Great job!!! I like seeing the Buick in the back ground. On day I want to do a 50's car.

Your dash turned out great. Where did you get your chrome marker pen for the chrome on the dash plastic strips?
Thanks Terry. I bought them off Amazon. I’ll get you the brand when I get home.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks Terry. I bought them off Amazon. I’ll get you the brand when I get home.
This is what I used. I posted it in your thread as well. 👍🏻
IMG_6763.jpeg

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sandblasted, epoxy primed, painted and cleared with 2K my winter wheels and set them up with some brand new studded rubber. Used a 3 inch hole saw to carve out the centre caps for the manual hubs.
Your winter wheels? I'd love to find a set of those down here for my all the time wheels. I'm planning to step up to 17s or 18s, but if I could find a nice set of those locally I'd probably stay on 16s.

To continue our discussion from @Terrys87's thread...
There are some pics in my thread. I’ll try and get into the shop tomorrow and take some close ups. There is nothing out there that matches chrome perfectly as a paint except futurechrome painted products.
I don;t expect a mirror chrome finish, but am looking for a better match than the typical silver paint pen. Some close ups would be great.

If its in a few of the you've posted of the dash trim, then it's a prety dang good match. Unfortunately I can't tell from the more distant pics where has been touched up and here hasn't.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals