• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Ranger Project

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Your winter wheels? I'd love to find a set of those down here for my all the time wheels. I'm planning to step up to 17s or 18s, but if I could find a nice set of those locally I'd probably stay on 16s.

To continue our discussion from @Terrys87's thread...

I don;t expect a mirror chrome finish, but am looking for a better match than the typical silver paint pen. Some close ups would be great.

If its in a few of the you've posted of the dash trim, then it's a prety dang good match. Unfortunately I can't tell from the more distant pics where has been touched up and here hasn't.
Josh, I snagged that set of wheels and caps for $65 on marketplace. They cleaned up nice. Used 2K paint and clear on them.
I have a set of summer wheels as posted on the first page. They are currently on my BII until I get this ride in Raptor liner. Attached is some closeup pics of the marker. The second pic shows the original chrome on the dash compared to the vent. I had to touch up the dash in parts and it’s pretty good as far as “chrome paint” goes.
IMG_6779.jpeg
IMG_6777.jpeg
IMG_6778.jpeg

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
On the progress side of things, this is the first day I’ve had in the shop in weeks and I wired up a compass/temp rear view mirror. It’s a must for me, especially for hunting. Picked up the mirror and sensor at a local junk yard for $10. I’m happy with the upgrade even though it’s a, ahem,.. GM product. 😬
IMG_6775.jpeg
IMG_6776.jpeg

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I’m happy with the upgrade even though it’s a, ahem,.. GM product.
That's a timeout for you! Go stand in the corner. :)

It looks good. Nice install!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That is cool Awesome-O I bought some closeout compass for boats and put one in the clock hole of a 1970 Olds 98 with the rocket 455. I couldn't keep that thing under 70 and it was all 55 speed limits! :D

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I like your summer wheels! Not my style, but they do look good.

I'd be happy to find a set of those stock wheels for about $65 each. Not that I can pay that much for them right now, everything seems to want a piece of my wallet, but I'd consider it a good price. If I found a full set with caps for less than $100 I'd be estatic.

That pen still isn't as close of a match as I'd hoped, but better than a lot of the other options that I've seen or tried. I suppose that if all the factory chrome finish was gone (pretty much is around here), I'd be redoing all of it, so it would be a pretty good match for itself.

even though it’s a, ahem,.. GM product. 😬
Is it though? I think most auto manufacturers buy the rear view mirror from a third party. Aside from special inits integrated with onstar type features or the radio, I think most probably com off the same few assembly lines with different labels stamped on them.

Not a bad upgrade, but can't say I've ever found a compass necessary in the vehicle. I was a boy scount and learned to properly navigate by compass. Still rarely found the need to use one in the woods. I remember back in orienteering courses in summer camp or scouting trips I could typically complete the course quicker without a compass than others could with, usually breaking out the compass slowed me down. Ofcourse we don;t have the miles and miles of woodlands that other parts of the world have and being closer to the equator may make the sun a better navigational aid. .

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah the wheels are a little busier in real life than what the pics looked like before I ordered, but they still look good.
I don’t need the compass. My internal one has actually never let me down in my 48 years. (Touch wood). 😜.
I do love the temp sensor for hunting though. It was just a twofer. And yeah it’s all third party manufactured. Same tech is in Audi and Subaru apparently.

Anyways, got a fender hung. The other side is gonna need some rethinking as the patch I welded is off and the gaps are horrible. I’ll try an aftermarket one I have for the Bronco or revisit repairing. I’m still hoping to have the box installed this weekend and get it ready for Raptor.
IMG_6781.jpeg

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm liking those turbines too. If I had a set and a working first gen, I'd probably rock them all the time.

Well, finally got a full day to play in the shop today. Got 90% of the interior re-installed. Love how the black looks over that worn out red. Way prefer the black carpet to my old rubber mat too. Couple before and after pics.

Is that all a dye job on the plastics, or did you find a black interior to swap? If the former was all of that chrome done with the chrome paint pen too?

If it was the latter, you're either very lucky or Canada had better selection on interior colors. In all my years of looking at first gen Rangers, I've only ever seen a black interior in 83 models and that was in pictures.

I'm torn between trying to do a dye job to black on my 85, or stay with the factory blue interior. I really think the black looks better, but my first truck (an 84) had the blue and... well... memories. The 85 also had the hard to find (around here) full cloth door panels in good shape and I think they would be difficult to recreate in new fabric, so I kind of don;t want to mess them up with dye.

You thread is definitely giving me inspiration for tackling the 85 once I finish some other projects. The overall body is in better shape, but the driver floor pan is barely hanging on. I've never welded body panels and barely welded anything at all, but a floor pan is probably a decent place to start and I've got a parts truck to get panels from if it hasn;t rotted out too.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm liking those turbines too. If I had a set and a working first gen, I'd probably rock them all the time.

Is that all a dye job on the plastics, or did you find a black interior to swap? If the former was all of that chrome done with the chrome paint pen too?

If it was the latter, you're either very lucky or Canada had better selection on interior colors. In all my years of looking at first gen Rangers, I've only ever seen a black interior in 83 models and that was in pictures.

I'm torn between trying to do a dye job to black on my 85, or stay with the factory blue interior. I really think the black looks better, but my first truck (an 84) had the blue and... well... memories. The 85 also had the hard to find (around here) full cloth door panels in good shape and I think they would be difficult to recreate in new fabric, so I kind of don;t want to mess them up with dye.

You thread is definitely giving me inspiration for tackling the 85 once I finish some other projects. The overall body is in better shape, but the driver floor pan is barely hanging on. I've never welded body panels and barely welded anything at all, but a floor pan is probably a decent place to start and I've got a parts truck to get panels from if it hasn;t rotted out too.
I turned everything black. It was red before. Used SEM interior paint. Masked off all the dash pieces and painted them to keep the chrome. Touched up worn chrome areas. The carpet is new and ordered from LMC.
As for the blue, my Bronco II is just that and I like it. It also has the cloth door panels!

As for inspiring you, that’s quite the compliment. Thank you. All my welding and bodywork etc, I’m all 100% self taught. In fact, welding the floors in my Buick posted back in this thread was my first go at it. Lots of research reading, watching videos and just doing. Sometimes doing it over too. Lol

Last edited:

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I like the chrome marker you suggested. Thanks!!! I plan on doing some more work on dash this week. I like having a compass and temp available and upgrade I want to do later.

Your welding got the floor pans done in the Buick and that is what counts. The older cars have more metal and I think that helps alot in welding. Grinding wheels are cheap, weld then grind. Self taught myself but it gets me by.

Aftermarket fenders do get a bad rap and some are terrible, may as well use them for a patch pane. On the other hand I was shocked. I was working on a truck that had been damaged and the fender was made in Taiwan. No kidding it was built better then the factory fender. It was CAPA certified as it still had the sticker on the inside of the fender. I could not find the company that produced it on fender or tag. The few times I have dealt wiith CAPA I have been satisfied. You wuill probably pay more for a CAPA.

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I like the chrome marker you suggested. Thanks!!! I plan on doing some more work on dash this week. I like having a compass and temp available and upgrade I want to do later.

Your welding got the floor pans done in the Buick and that is what counts. The older cars have more metal and I think that helps alot in welding. Grinding wheels are cheap, weld then grind. Self taught myself but it gets me by.

Aftermarket fenders do get a bad rap and some are terrible, may as well use them for a patch pane. On the other hand I was shocked. I was working on a truck that had been damaged and the fender was made in Taiwan. No kidding it was built better then the factory fender. It was CAPA certified as it still had the sticker on the inside of the fender. I could not find the company that produced it on fender or tag. The few times I have dealt wiith CAPA I have been satisfied. You wuill probably pay more for a CAPA.
I have come to trust a number of countries over there, especially in metal work and tempering, seems they're not afraid of the heat. Taiwan, Vietnam,Thailand, among others

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Finally got a day on the shop again. Installed my bumper, trailer hitch, a couple LED cube back up lights and the reverse camera for the stereo. Tomorrow I hope to tackle removing the box from my 91 and getting it prepped for Raptor, and if time, properly fitting the driver side fender that is fighting me. Once the box is fitted, and prepped, got a couple small dents I want to pull on one side, I’ll run my fine lines and get them right with the cab for the two tone. Then I plan on removing it again to paint the back of the cab and front of the box properly. Marching ever closer to the finish line, albeit slowly.
IMG_6804.jpeg

IMG_6805.jpeg

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Well, finally got a full day to play in the shop today. Got 90% of the interior re-installed. Love how the black looks over that worn out red. Way prefer the black carpet to my old rubber mat too. Couple before and after pics.
Headliner and overhead console turned out decent compared to the disintegrating foam that rained on your head. Hopefully get the rest buttoned up tomorrow and get the box off.View attachment 96877View attachment 96878View attachment 96879View attachment 96880View attachment 96881View attachment 96882
coming together nicely

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It is forward progress, seems like some steps go quick and then you hit a slow spot. My luck any ways. Great job!!!

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, I only got a couple hours to work on the Rangers today as I had to leave and help a friend build some walls. Got the canopy off and the plastic liner out. Then I cleaned the box out and attempted to remove the box bolts. As usual I’m going to have to weld nuts to the torx bolts as they are seized solid. A. Score and after of the grime. Most likely won’t get on this u tip next week as I’ll be on this job site u tip the weekend now.
IMG_6816.jpeg
IMG_6820.jpeg
IMG_6821.jpeg
IMG_6823.jpeg

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Grime? What grime? That bed is CLEAN for down here in GA, much less Canada. I guess there's something to be said for having both a plastic liner and a cap.

Say can you missplace that excavator down here for a few weeks? That might be big enough to remove some trees I want gone.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals