Help needed to diagnose an electrical problem


Featured Build Threads

I believe the transmission is supposed to stay in first if first is manually selected.

Now the good news. There is no transmission wiring in the steering column. The column shifter moves a flexible mechanical cable that goes down to the shift lever on the side of the transmission. The electrical switch assembly for PRND21 is mounted at the shift lever on the transmission case.
Of course, yes, I should have remembered that as I had mine apart a few months ago.

Would it be one of these two? I don't think I disconnected and sprayed them.
I would check and clean both of those, the one on the lever should be the position selector sensor.
 
I do, as indicated in my post above from June 3rd. That's the first thing I replaced. Actually replaced twice due to a local mechanic's suggestion that I may have received a defective unit. If there are more, then I am unaware of the locations and would appreciate any tips. I also disconnected and used contact cleaner on both of these locations. Each time I try something I go for a test drive but always end up back home disappointed.
Sorry I missed that. The flashing OD off light usually means something in the transmission is failing or failed. Im not sure but it could put the trans into a protection mode. Still looking into it
 
I did some reading and it seems like a flashing OD light will lower line pressure.
 
It's past time for an update. Having no garage, nor shade trees for that matter, I have been unable to do anything during the summer. For the past year I have been scouring the internet and posting in automotive and other forums, saving the responses, tips, and every tidbit of info I can find. Then, using these bits of information, I try different things in the hopes of solving it, so far without success.
The few things I have found and tried since my last post: I have disconnected and sprayed with contact cleaner every connection I thought may be related, including under the hood, under the truck, on the transmission, etc. I have pulled the radio, cig. lighter, and dashboard fascia looking for damaged or shorted wires. The only thing found was one separated wire from the factory radio harness to the aftermarket radio harness but that has been removed with no change. There was no sign of damage, just separation.
Recently, I have checked and verified a good and proper fuse at every fuse location. I disconnected the negative battery cable and connected a test light. It lit very bright. While watching the light I pulled every fuse, one by one, from the inside panel while noting no changes to the light. I did the same in the power distribution box in the engine compartment with the same result except for the following; when I pulled the 50A I/P fuse (Inside/Panel) for readers who, like me, might not know, the light intensity changed from very bright to very dim, but I don't know specifically what it means. Is that a good indication of a short or issue somewhere in the wiring in the cab? Could a bad GEM exhibit similar symptoms? Should I attempt to pull the whole dash out looking for a bad wire? Are there other tests I could do using a meter? Still looking for the answer.
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top