advice for finding good fuel injectors for the 87 2.9.


Featured Build Threads

JLArangerdriver

Forum Member

Joined
May 26, 2026
Messages
11
Points
101
City
RALEIGH
State - Country
NC - USA
Vehicle Year
1987
Vehicle
Ford Ranger
Drive
4WD
Engine
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
about 4 inches
Total Drop
na
Tire Size
235/75 R15
I needed new injectors after my fuel tank started rusting out and clogged the old ones. I put in a new tank, cleaned and flushed everything and installed some SKP injectors off rock auto. Now I have rough idle with random misfires on a few cylinders that smooths out at certain RPMs and engine loads. At higher RMP and load, misfires return. It's not backfiring, or shaking severely. I'm pretty sure I got some bad injectors that arn't sending enough fuel to some cylinders. It's also low on power. anyone have recommendations for decent injectors? I don't want to spend more money on bad injectors.
EDIT- I've done compression tests, good compression and everything was pretty even. new plugs and wires were installed with the injectors. new rotor cap and button, very hot spark. I'm pretty sure my issue is with the injectors. I've been driving it like this sparingly.
 
Last edited:
Any chance your old injectors could be saved?
My injectors were leaking, so I sent them out to get rebuilt.
They still leak, but not nearly as much as before.

I'm now on the hunt for another set (used original), and have them rebuilt as well.
Hoping to get at least 6 good injectors when I'm done.
 
RockAuto has both new and reman injectors available.
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top