TRS Event 2026 Fall Colors Campout

Which of the following weekends works best for you?

  • Oct. 1-4

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Oct. 8-11

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Oct. 15-18

    Votes: 2 33.3%

  • Total voters
    6
  • Poll closed .

Featured Build Threads

I'll be there tomorrow afternoon sometime. About 2 hours away in Wytheville VA right now. Earlier start I could have made it today, but never intended to do that.

Wake up in the morning and heading towards White Sulphur Springs to see if I can get in that tour of the Greenbrier Bunker. Then probably Lost World Caverns on the way over to the campground.

Google shows about 9 hours from my house to the campground. Based on remaining driving time (here to camp, not other stops) it took 9 hours to drive the first 7 of that. Traffic through Columbia and Charlotte sucked. I should have stopped for the night about an hour earlier in Mt Airy. Not that I cared about seeing Mayberry, but I think I missed some nice mountain scenery in the dark after that.

Really I need to figure out the rules for rest areas, and what other places are good to overnight on the road. If I can get this camper setup right for it, and overnight is allowed, I could just stop at one and sleep for a few hours on trips like this. Camper isn't set up for that (yet), wasn't sure about the rules, and too late to find a campsite, so in a hotel for the night.
 
I'll be there tomorrow afternoon sometime. About 2 hours away in Wytheville VA right now. Earlier start I could have made it today, but never intended to do that.

Wake up in the morning and heading towards White Sulphur Springs to see if I can get in that tour of the Greenbrier Bunker. Then probably Lost World Caverns on the way over to the campground.

Google shows about 9 hours from my house to the campground. Based on remaining driving time (here to camp, not other stops) it took 9 hours to drive the first 7 of that. Traffic through Columbia and Charlotte sucked. I should have stopped for the night about an hour earlier in Mt Airy. Not that I cared about seeing Mayberry, but I think I missed some nice mountain scenery in the dark after that.

Really I need to figure out the rules for rest areas, and what other places are good to overnight on the road. If I can get this camper setup right for it, and overnight is allowed, I could just stop at one and sleep for a few hours on trips like this. Camper isn't set up for that (yet), wasn't sure about the rules, and too late to find a campsite, so in a hotel for the night.
You can stop at Mt Airy on the way back. You cand see 90% of it in 30-60 minutes. It's a nice stop.
 
I'll be there tomorrow afternoon sometime. About 2 hours away in Wytheville VA right now. Earlier start I could have made it today, but never intended to do that.

Wake up in the morning and heading towards White Sulphur Springs to see if I can get in that tour of the Greenbrier Bunker. Then probably Lost World Caverns on the way over to the campground.

Google shows about 9 hours from my house to the campground. Based on remaining driving time (here to camp, not other stops) it took 9 hours to drive the first 7 of that. Traffic through Columbia and Charlotte sucked. I should have stopped for the night about an hour earlier in Mt Airy. Not that I cared about seeing Mayberry, but I think I missed some nice mountain scenery in the dark after that.

Really I need to figure out the rules for rest areas, and what other places are good to overnight on the road. If I can get this camper setup right for it, and overnight is allowed, I could just stop at one and sleep for a few hours on trips like this. Camper isn't set up for that (yet), wasn't sure about the rules, and too late to find a campsite, so in a hotel for the night.
My experience with trips, the travel time is always longer than what the GPS and mapping websites say and the longer the trip, the bigger the discrepency. They only consider the direct drive, with no stops for food, gas, bathrooms and so on.

They do try to factor in traffic but only when the map is generated. GPS does a bit better but can only factor in what is reported. Throw in a trailer and the limitations that come wirh it, it just muddies the mix more.

As far as the rules for overnighting at places, that comes with time. There are websites and forums dedicated to boondocking, if that is something you are looking to get into. I just make reservations at campgrounds and RV parks along the way and try to be realistic in the travel time from stop to stop. When we did the trip to Colorodo, I planned for three stops on the way out to not beat ourselves up to much for the actual trip through the trails and mountain passes when we got there. On the way home, I only planned two and it made it a bit of a grueling task, but we made it and I would do it again that way.

I prefer known, guaranteed stops than winging it as we go, but everyone is different.
 
I don't always make reservations for overnight stops. But I like to research ahead of time to see what is available in areas where I expect to stop. That way I have the freedom to change things as I go. It doesn't always work out.

I don't think overnighting is allowed at most rest areas. I often see signs posted warning about that. A quick catnap in the car might work. But getting in a camper and bedding down is usually frowned upon by the authorities. You're better off in the back lot at a truck stop. Plus, they usually have showers so you can freshen up before getting back on the road.

And you can't park here.
2026 Fall Colors Campout
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top