- Joined
- May 15, 2020
- Messages
- 5,234
- Points
- 601
- Age
- 71
- City
- Atlanta
- State - Country
- GA - USA
- Other
- Manufacturers factory tour, maybe big dealership tour
- Vehicle Year
- 1997 1987
- Vehicle
- Ford Ranger
- Engine
- 4.0L
- Transmission
- Manual
- Total Lift
- 97 stock, 3” on 87
- Total Drop
- N/A
- Tire Size
- 235/75-15
- My credo
- Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
65 more miles till 30k. I keep thinking I will look down and its past but the miles are slowly crawling by since I no longer drive to work or really go anywhere.
I was just telling my wife I feel like we dont need our spare car anymore since we are both retired. We are just paying for insurance for it to sit. We put less then 5k miles a year on it the past 5 years but she says we should keep it in case the ranger or wrangler break down. We really dont even need 2 cars
I’m trying to wrap my head around getting rid of my 96 F250. It’s diesel, four-wheel-drive, automatic, and it’s absolutely cherry. It’s got about 130,000 miles on it now, and most of its life it was in a garage. I don’t think I’ve driven in 10,000 miles since I got hurt in 2014, with less miles each year. I’ve been keeping it because I love it, and because there’s nothing like that F250 four-wheel-drive 7.3 diesel on the rare occasions I have to do something heavy duty.
The problem is, it’s not in the garage anymore, and the last few times I went to use it, with months in between, I had a problem that was almost certainly because it was just sitting around outside. We don’t have the salt like up north, but we do get dripping dew from the humidity and temperature changes through most of the year.
I haven’t been thinking of getting rid of it until lately, but with what I’m doing on my property, it’s been left parked in front of my house and anybody going by knows that nobody’s using it, so I’ve had a steady stream of guys who come off the street who want to buy it. Of course they’re not offering any kind of serious money. Then I had two different guys who made me very serious offers creeping up on $20,000. That will make you think, and I’ve also realized, I can rent a truck for pennies if I need to do something heavy duty
Before anybody says “I’ll take it!” if I do get rid of it, it will go to my son for his business. The problem there is he’s a 1000 miles away, so once it goes, while it will still be good for the family, it’s not like I could borrow it on the weekend.
I don’t have to worry about money, but it’s always a pain in the ass when you go to use it and it’s not running right. And then why have it?

