Hey all.. an update. still crank no start here. Checked compression and I'm around 130. All spark plugs are sparking. I also checked the fuel system and wound up putting in new injectors, because why not throw parts at problems? Besides I had a hope that my new fuel pump in an aging fuel system created its own problem. I went through some electrical and backprobed and the throttle sensor is good, the coil is getting what it needs. I put in motorcraft spark plug wires on the outside chance my cheaper version was a problem. Running out of things to do. Starting fluid still not helpful.
The only thing I can say it is seems that the first attempt of the day is the closest to success. I get a pop now and then and the engine just sounds like it might turn over. I cleaned my old crank position sensor and will go back to it in case my after market part sucks the same way my aftermarket coil did.
Early on, I got a new to me ECU which did nothing, but I am also not sure why versus the original ECU I re-installed which also doesn't work, so I have some ambiguity if either works. Although I'm not sure how the ECU could stop a successful crank versus killing one off.
Anyway, while this has been a learning experience, I am tired of Ford Ranger school. Any suggestions short of the timing chain...would like to find something less drastic before going there. And if there are any folks reading this who live in the DC area, I would buy a grateful amount of beer for another set of eyeballs on this truck.