• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's the biggest towed?

Auzzey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I guess my pictures didn't post...what's up with that? I had some good ones too!!

Did I do something wrong (I'm new here, obviously). But I had them posted in a blog and used the insert image button...

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I looked over your coding, and it should work. Maybe the blog blocked it.

Last edited:

Culprit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've towed a few cars with my '95 4.0L 5 spd manual. The only mod to the truck from stock is that I added a leaf to the rear springs to offset the weight of the steel-core fiberglass cap. I've towed my 78 Vette (recently sold to father-in-law), and a Mazda 626 and VW Golf. A couple of times I used U-Haul trailers, and twice I borrowed a friend's all steel deck flatbed trailer (heavier than the U-Haul trailers). I never would have tried it except it was all between Atlanta, North and South Carolina, and Savannah where it was completely flat. I've towed plenty of smaller things (motorcycles, fishing boats, trailers with pianos, etc) but the cars were the heaviest.

The heaviest load I ever carried in the bed was a pallet of bricks. The pallet won't fit between the wheel wells, so I told the forklift driver to load it turned 45 degrees and get it in as far as she could. Most of the weight was on the lowered tailgate. The rear springs were bottomed out and the frame was resting on the axle. I held my breath for the whole 4 mile trip. If my friend hadn't lived that close to Lowe's, I wouldn't have done it.

Natedog57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Don't know how much this weighed, but ought to win a prize for most unusual/creative. My friend and I just moved it from one house in the neighborhood to another.

This was a pallet of 60lb bags of concrete. 56 total bags so weighed in at 3360 plus dual axle trailer which I'm assuming weighes between 1500 and 2000lbs. So, in the area of 4860 to 5360lbs.

Last edited:

michowski

Reaction score
nate that last ranger is freaking awesome dude. Amazing looking rig. Clean mods, fantastic looking results.

wvcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I discovered Dakotas are heavier than rangers....lol
John

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hauled a grand prix on a tow dolly with my 3.0, supercab. It didn't break a sweat.

stzeiser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
jee
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A gravity wagon full of corn

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
from the towing section of the pirate 4x4.com BB;

________
buy vaporizers

Last edited:

MaineMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
104 bales of hay, 200 lbs of grass seed, plus other random stuff inthe cab. i went thirty miles with this load in the rain. the further i went the heavier it got. through some pretty steep country too. i had to stop twice to let the trailer tires cool off.

i have a pic but i cant figure how to add it.

Last edited:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
another from pirate 4x4dotcom, from the "big,dumb loads " section. check out how the front tires are spinning, must have broke the rear driveline

________
volcano vaporizer review

Last edited:

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
largest i ever towed with the ranger woulda been my 83 3/4 ton diesel suburban....flat towed that on 38.5 hawgs 15 miles to my house, pretty much killed my kevlar clutch :sad:

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pulled a 35' bumper pull trailer down out of the hills for my uncle after he broke a rocker arm in his 428SCJ (back in '04, no pics!). This was back when I still had the 3.0L in it, and I had to use low range, but the truck did surprisingly well. But, like someone mentioned before, please use an appropriately sized vehicle for something like this, with a nicely matched driveline and brakes for what you're doing. 'Emergencies' like this, break the rules as safely as possible! :)

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, no pics, but this happened quite a while ago. One of my friends got stuck in his '89 chevy 3/4 ton, and this was because his 4x4 would not engage. This was in a huge, long arroyo that he really had no business in in the first place (long bed, extended cab, piece of shit). I, like an idiot tried to pull him out with my 1999 ranger 4x4. I put it in low range and floored it, and moved him about 2 feet. I am still trying to fix my four wheel drive. It fried low range and the chain, and the hubs too. I was too used to my 1979 jeep cj5 I guess, which can pull out just about anything and not feel it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals