• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's the biggest towed?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No tongue weight, lots of resistance--yep, it will squeal.

What's worse is the coil/5 link in the '93 Pathfinder we had. When pulling a trailer from a stop the back of the truck would come up in the air when you started to get some torque in the clutch. It would often break a tire loose even with a lot of tongue weight. Very odd feeling and not very truck-like. I don't know why it was like this but it was very bad.

Snurfer

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1100 pounds in the bed of my ext. cab ranger 4.0. cement blocks. but i have 4 inch SJ lift springs from an explorer in the back. LOADED

LowNslow95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't towed anything, but I have hauled stuff around in the bed of my Ranger. I did countless runs to the local town ship to get free mulch like 5 times. Then I had to get a fridge in the back, that actually fit between the wheel wells and the length of my bed, I was actually surprised when I got it in there.

DesertStorm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 and 94
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Haul firewood all the time. Dont know the weight but the truck sits on the bumpstops in the rear. Very heavy. 1200-1500#? Along with pulling log splitter that weighs 400#. All with a 2.3L.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
No tongue weight, lots of resistance--yep, it will squeal.

What's worse is the coil/5 link in the '93 Pathfinder we had. When pulling a trailer from a stop the back of the truck would come up in the air when you started to get some torque in the clutch. It would often break a tire loose even with a lot of tongue weight. Very odd feeling and not very truck-like. I don't know why it was like this but it was very bad.

I get that with my SD. When I am towing something heavy, over 5K, I can feel the rear raise up when I get on the gas from a stop.. Feels weird, you are correct.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I get that with my SD. When I am towing something heavy, over 5K, I can feel the rear raise up when I get on the gas from a stop.. Feels weird, you are correct.
I wonder why your truck does it? I've never observed the phenomena in a leaf sprung vehicle.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Dunno, but it makes the back of the truck hunch up. I just assumed it was the torque of the driveshaft pushing downward on the differential that caused the axle to twist the springs.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
this is what ive been pulling behind my ranger lately, weighs about 1,000 empty, not sure how heavy ive had it, probly about 800 or so in it helping a friend move. its a 6x10 v-nose haulmark. paid about 2,600 for it last january.

________
Warren Transmission

Last edited:

jlloyd

Reaction score
With my 95 2.3 5 spd.,I hauled a few loads of heavy mulch that was damp.They said it was a cu. yard.D,ont know the wt.

Chic N Stew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9ltr
Transmission
Manual
I love this, the heaviest thing i've ever towed is a trailer full of shop junk, probably equal to my dads tool chest(it's huge, and it did the clutch in pretty bad)

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 3.0L 5 speed 4x4 that I used to tow two seed bean wagons with, on the bumper. (I only had to go about 3 miles) One of the wagons was completely full, the other was a little under half full. I don't know exactly how much each one weighed but I would guess combined they weighed about 8 tons. Thats no BS either becuase at the elevator we have them weighed and on average a full one weighs about 6 tons. I put it in 4 LOW to get them started up out of the field, up the small incline to get on the road, and then when I got them rolling I put it in High and went about 20 mph at MOST. High speeds will cuase you to wreck no matter what your towing them with. I thought it was amazing. After I was done it drove fine and the bumper wasn't affected. I now have a custom made hitch that I made from a Class III 93 jeep hitch. I used 1/4 inch steel to fabricate my own brakets after I had cut off the old 1/8 inch jeep brackets.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Wagons are so hard to tow because they have such little tongue weight. From a static start, that's pretty impressive. I bet your clutch wasn't very happy though.

mudcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
We were camping at this campsite near Wasaga Beach, and i seen this truck trying to pull this 40 or so foot trailer with a half ton truck. Well it was all good till he got near a bump then he was f--ked. I offered, being lifted and pulled it to the front enterence and out of the way, and only in 4 lo. When that trailer was lowered on my truck, it must have dropped at least 6 inches and won't do that again. But he did give me a free day and night stay at the camp after that. Mike.:icon_cheers:

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
ive pulled more stuff with my bronco 2 than ive seen half ton trucks pull. I pulled a 3 ton dump truck up a big hill after it ran out of gas at the bottem.
used it to pull my race car(74 ranchero 500) to the race track(60miles round trip)over one season. and pulled all my brothers friends out numores times.

Auzzey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I launched a 24' Cuddy/Walk-around. I think the boat alone weighed in close to 4000lbs, plus fuel and trailer. My ranger ('04 Edge, 4.0L, 4x4, manual) pulled it ok...I only had to go about 3/4 of mile and never went over 10 mph.

and a view from the driver's seat while launching...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals