• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's my Ranger worth?

Rusty88Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31 inch
My credo
Stupid is costly
Filter definitely needs to be replaced but plugs were replaced about 5000 miles ago and wires/distributor are all good

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If you decide to sell it, please take some better pictures... of the entire vehicle, inside and out. Nothing turns me off to vehicles like poser shots, blurry pics and filters... it usually suggests that the seller is hiding something. I'm not being critical of the pics you posted, I'm just telling you that better pics equals a better deal for you.

Having fixed up and sold a bunch of trucks like yours over the years, I would say that I would advertise it at $2000 and expect to get talked down to $1500+/- and be very happy with that price. I know new parts cost money but that's just the cost of owning a vehicle, maintenance items do not equal a higher cost, it just means you've kept it on the road and drivable. I have probably over $5000 into my daily driver and I am well aware that it looks awful and I would not get a whole lot if I sold it.

Also, there is not really anything rare about your particular truck. STX trucks were probably not the most common package but there was still a lot of them made. In your case it's just a badge, different seats and interior trim. Extended cabs, 5 speeds and 2.9s are also common items.

Rusty88Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31 inch
My credo
Stupid is costly
If you decide to sell it, please take some better pictures... of the entire vehicle, inside and out. Nothing turns me off to vehicles like poser shots, blurry pics and filters... it usually suggests that the seller is hiding something. I'm not being critical of the pics you posted, I'm just telling you that better pics equals a better deal for you.

Having fixed up and sold a bunch of trucks like yours over the years, I would say that I would advertise it at $2000 and expect to get talked down to $1500+/- and be very happy with that price. I know new parts cost money but that's just the cost of owning a vehicle, maintenance items do not equal a higher cost, it just means you've kept it on the road and drivable. I have probably over $5000 into my daily driver and I am well aware that it looks awful and I would not get a whole lot if I sold it.

Also, there is not really anything rare about your particular truck. STX trucks were probably not the most common package but there was still a lot of them made. In your case it's just a badge, different seats and interior trim. Extended cabs, 5 speeds and 2.9s are also common items.
I fully agree about the pics for selling things. Whenever I sell things I take lots of clear pics so they know what they are looking at.
Thanks for the feedback.
Don't know where you're from but in NY here I haven't seen another first gen ranger on the road since last fall... And the last one I saw was rotted out. Can't find them on Craigslist locally either. Especially with the efi 2.9 v6, 4x4 and manual trans. Bronco ii's seem to be a little more popular but still very few I've seen even on Craigslist.

Rusty88Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31 inch
My credo
Stupid is costly
You seem to have done a lot of work already to the truck. How about the ignition system? Plugs, wires, distributor? What about your filters?

Second what size/ type of tires do you have, and what gears do you have?
31 inch all terrains that are worn down unfortunately. Think it's 3.73 gearing.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Seem like the gears are on the tall side for that tire, too small of a ratio. Might be ok is you did 90% highway driving, but if you do a lot of around town driving then your MPGs are going to suffer because the engine has to work harder to get the truck rolling.

Would probably pick a good amount of MPG going to a stock size tire or regearing. Only problem with regearing is it can be expensive, especially in a 4WD.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Seem like the gears are on the tall side for that tire, too small of a ratio. Might be ok is you did 90% highway driving, but if you do a lot of around town driving then your MPGs are going to suffer because the engine has to work harder to get the truck rolling.

Would probably pick a good amount of MPG going to a stock size tire or regearing. Only problem with regearing is it can be expensive, especially in a 4WD.
Factory ratio for later trucks with 31's :dntknw:

Great ratio with 31's for me but I don't have a 2.9, turns around 1800rpm at 60mph with an M5ODR2. With the 800lb Skamper in the back catching all kinds of air my 200hp 5.0 moves the 5000lb rig fine with 31's and 3.73's.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Don't know where you're from but in NY here I haven't seen another first gen ranger on the road since last fall... And the last one I saw was rotted out. Can't find them on Craigslist locally either. Especially with the efi 2.9 v6, 4x4 and manual trans. Bronco ii's seem to be a little more popular but still very few I've seen even on Craigslist.
South Dakota. Our winter roads don't see quite as much salt as yours do but there are plenty of rusty trucks out here regardless.

Personally I wouldn't judge rarity based on what you're seeing listed for sale. I don't see very many 1st or 2nd gen Rangers for sale here either - it's because people are keeping them, because they're really pretty good little trucks. The ones that do show up for sale are either junk, or in really nice shape with a price tag that reflects that condition.

Nothing about the 2.9, 4x4 or manual trans is special. It's all standard equipment for the year. And compared to other trucks just a couple years newer, it's not even really good standard equipment. Everything older than 1990 has small axles, front slip yoke transfer case, relatively weak transmissions in general, and the 2.9 is notorious for cracked heads. Certainly nothing rare or desirable, aside from a couple exceptions, which you don't have.

Don't get me wrong, I love first gen trucks (obviously, I have five of them) but there is very little to brag about. Just about everything in the drivetrain was cheaply made or vastly under engineered... that's why so many of us have done V8, 4.0 or other engine swaps, axle swaps, etc.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Rusty,

For optimal fuel economy with 3:73's I would use 28.5" (28"-29").

You do have a STX, does it happen to be a Hi-Rider; only STX trucks came with the Hi Rider option, the fact that your running 31's suggests to me that you may have a Hi Rider, 2" factory suspension lift ..)

In regards to inexpensive ways to improve efficiency:

*full synthetic fluids; oil, gear oil + tranny
*1 or 2 heat ranges hotter spark plug
*get a 86-87 throttle body
*8mm or larger Si supresion plug wires
*drop in K&N or equivilent air filter
*a complete tune up
*uniform, optimal tire pressure
*correctly torqued lug nuts
*drive conservatively

All of those items will contribute to the highest possible fuel economy but, depending on your budget here are more ways to increase your 2.9L's efficiency:

A. remove the crank shaft driven fan clutch for an electric fan. While this does not improve power, it makes an appreciable reduction in the load on the 2.9L.

B. unless recently performed your engine could benefit from a quality multi angle valve job, even without the full valve job, replace the valve guide seals and determine whether you valve guides are working well.

C. disconnect your a/c belt

D. pull out your rocker arm shafts, tear them down to their separate components, thoroughly clean, increase the size of the oiling holes in the rockers and shafts.

E. correctly set hydraulic lifter preload.

F. if your engine is ready to be rebuilt:

*at this point you will need to decide how much cheap is and whether you want to invest in efficiency improvement or a monthly auto payment.

- Ford 2.8L flat top pistons; they will increase the comp/ratio by a whole point +4hp
- flow bench port/polish heads to intakes +20hp
-custom reground cam +20hp
- quality headers +20hp
- appropriate increased size in exhaust tubing with free-est flowing components
- bore out your T/B or even a tapper hone +2hp throughout rpm band
- digital or CD multi spark ignition
- a computer chip to help with timing
- advance your timing to max vacuum us read; this is where YOUR engine will be MOST efficeint.

All these increases in efficiency are there for the taking, some cost more but also yield more

Last edited:

Rusty88Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31 inch
My credo
Stupid is costly
South Dakota. Our winter roads don't see quite as much salt as yours do but there are plenty of rusty trucks out here regardless.

Personally I wouldn't judge rarity based on what you're seeing listed for sale. I don't see very many 1st or 2nd gen Rangers for sale here either - it's because people are keeping them, because they're really pretty good little trucks. The ones that do show up for sale are either junk, or in really nice shape with a price tag that reflects that condition.

Nothing about the 2.9, 4x4 or manual trans is special. It's all standard equipment for the year. And compared to other trucks just a couple years newer, it's not even really good standard equipment. Everything older than 1990 has small axles, front slip yoke transfer case, relatively weak transmissions in general, and the 2.9 is notorious for cracked heads. Certainly nothing rare or desirable, aside from a couple exceptions, which you don't have.

Don't get me wrong, I love first gen trucks (obviously, I have five of them) but there is very little to brag about. Just about everything in the drivetrain was cheaply made or vastly under engineered... that's why so many of us have done V8, 4.0 or other engine swaps, axle swaps, etc.
Oh I don't think there is anything amazing about the 2.9 and the durability of it but I'm comparing it to the older carbureted 2.8 and I think it it's 2.3 online four on the 2wd rigs...
I bet my zero turn has more power than the 2.9 in my truck 😂

Rusty88Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31 inch
My credo
Stupid is costly
Rusty,

For optimal fuel economy with 3:73's I would use 28.5" (28"-29").

You do have a STX, does it happen to be a Hi-Rider; only STX trucks came with the Hi Rider option, the fact that your running 31's suggests to me that you may have a Hi Rider, 2" factory suspension lift ..)

In regards to inexpensive ways to improve efficiency:

*full synthetic fluids; oil, gear oil + tranny
*1 or 2 heat ranges hotter spark plug
*get a 86-87 throttle body
*8mm or larger Si supresion plug wires
*drop in K&N or equivilent air filter
*a complete tune up
*uniform, optimal tire pressure
*correctly torqued lug nuts
*drive conservatively

All of those items will contribute to the highest possible fuel economy but, depending on your budget here are more ways to increase your 2.9L's efficiency:

A. remove the crank shaft driven fan clutch for an electric fan. While this does not improve power, it makes an appreciable reduction in the load on the 2.9L.

B. unless recently performed your engine could benefit from a quality multi angle valve job, even without the full valve job, replace the valve guide seals and determine whether you valve guides are working well.

C. disconnect your a/c belt

D. pull out your rocker arm shafts, tear them down to their separate components, thoroughly clean, increase the size of the oiling holes in the rockers and shafts.

E. correctly set hydraulic lifter preload.

F. if your engine is ready to be rebuilt:

*at this point you will need to decide how much cheap is and whether you want to invest in efficiency improvement or a monthly auto payment.

- Ford 2.8L flat top pistons; they will increase the comp/ratio by a whole point +4hp
- flow bench port/polish heads to intakes +20hp
-custom reground cam +20hp
- quality headers +20hp
- appropriate increased size in exhaust tubing with free-est flowing components
- bore out your T/B or even a tapper hone +2hp throughout rpm band
- digital or CD multi spark ignition
- a computer chip to help with timing
- advance your timing to max vacuum us read; this is where YOUR engine will be MOST efficeint.

All these increases in efficiency are there for the taking, some cost more but also yield more
Thanks for the information!

Rusty88Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31 inch
My credo
Stupid is costly

I guess I just have a soft spot for the first gen looks😁 love the grille and doors/mirrors especially. Altho they only look good with the right wheels and tires

Rusty88Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31 inch
My credo
Stupid is costly

Good point... well I'd far rather deal with the fuel economy than go down in tire size.

Rusty88Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31 inch
My credo
Stupid is costly
Factory ratio for later trucks with 31's :dntknw:

Great ratio with 31's for me but I don't have a 2.9, turns around 1800rpm at 60mph with an M5ODR2. With the 800lb Skamper in the back catching all kinds of air my 200hp 5.0 moves the 5000lb rig fine with 31's and 3.73's.
The HP for the 2.9 is 145 I believe. It feels like no less than that🤷‍♂️

Rusty88Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31 inch
My credo
Stupid is costly
Any ideas on what this issue could be?
The engine will suddenly start sputtering and surging, and sometimes puffing black smoke, then clear up after about 30 seconds to a minute. (Almost like when you leave the choke on on a lawn mower)
I'm almost 100% sure it's a sensor because when it clears up it's like someone flipped a switch and it fixed it. It's intermittent, and no CEL on the dash when it happens.
Happens mostly when the engine heats up, and I suppose it's something to do with the heat affecting a sensor which makes it go crazy. The wiring for the oxygen sensor was all melted and messed up, so I rewired it and replaced the oxygen sensor, this helped a little but it still does it once in a while.
I've checked the fuel pressure when it happens at idle and it seems normal.
What baffles me is that it isn't a constant issue and it happens randomly once the truck gets hot.

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My trucks are newer, and I am surprised you aren't getting a code, but it sounds like what would be Intake Air Control Valve (IAC valve) on my 3.0

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals