• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's my Ranger worth?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On selling Ranger for something else: I have 3 kids, but the 3 doesn't count as she is older.

My 24 year old is counting the days to his 25 b'day, because:
The bank requires $1M liability + collision on anything he needs a loan for so he is looking at $4.5k*/yr just for insurance (He has a spotless record, I can't imagine what it would be if he had any priors). Liability insurance drops from $3k/yr to $1,500 at 25 here.​
Then you add $500/mo for loan payments, and the Ranger continues to look pretty good as the $750 for liability only as student extension on Dad's policy.​
My 18 year old knows she has her B4000 for while for same reasons.

If trying to sell, ideally, you find a couple nice uncut fenders and swap them in plus find a tailgate - a quick rattle can paint job to get them basically the right colour; then you wash and detail the truck and park it mall crawling for picture.
While you and I enjoy using our trucks, the average buyer gets nervous about the truck have been abused. And those with the deepest pockets have the greatest aversion to a little mud.​
If it was Canada, I would say loose the rifle for any pictures, not sure if that hurts you as much in USA.​
$1 Cdn = ~$0.67 US, and New York might not be Alberta, but you get the idea. One can pay for a lot of gas and a lot of repairs for the cost of insurance and bank loan.

Rusty88Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31 inch
My credo
Stupid is costly
Ok I will check that out... Thanks!

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Im curious- why would a rifle in a picture make any difference? Its not like it would be included.

Rusty88Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31 inch
My credo
Stupid is costly

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Pictures of guns are dangerous!

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Think of the Children!

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I’m an outlier, but I love brush-on Rustoleum on well weathered trucks and such, They’re tools, and they’ll look like well cared for tools.

Don’t underestimate the “roll and tip” method and a $10 can or two of gloss black. YouTube it. I’ve done it on many old metal trucks over the years. The truck will be uniform and shine. Add $20 of red or silver pin stripes high and low, and it pulls the eye away from the defects. I’m creeping up on doing this to two of mine, probably in the next 30 days or such.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I’m an outlier, but I love brush-on Rustoleum on well weathered trucks and such, They’re tools, and they’ll look like well cared for tools.

Don’t underestimate the “roll and tip” method and a $10 can or two of gloss black. YouTube it. I’ve done it on many old metal trucks over the years. The truck will be uniform and shine. Add $20 of red or silver pin stripes high and low, and it pulls the eye away from the defects. I’m creeping up on doing this to two of mine, probably in the next 30 days or such.
Here you go rick.

I painted my 92 F150 with Rustoleum Royal Blue, had planned to put some white down the side in the body lines too.

It's hard to tell because it raining in the pictures, but there were definitely a bunch of runs. I painted it with an electric house spray gun, but they could have been cleaned up. I bet if i thinned it out a bit first it would have layed down ok too.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
👍👍 gosh, it looks like you were a little rough with the sprayer!!! Front bumper is knocked off and the back wheel is sticking out....

The brush is the ticket. First time I did it was on a round nose, wing hood 1956 Dodge service body truck. I did it in the parking lot of an apartment complex in about three hours. I did the cab and bed black, the grill Silver, the headlight bezels and a couple other things in white, back bumper and front bumper silver, silver in bed. It had a little tailgate between the bed cabinets, and I did red and white alternating safety stripes at an angle from the left and right with a peek in the middle. I had an audience by the time I was done about 4 o’clock. It looked great. $20

Having done it several more times, the trick is not to try to cover it all at once. Do a light coat which won’t completely cover but it also won’t run. Then a second coat, and then a final coat. You guys will see it in a month or so. I’m really enjoying playing with these Rangers, and my goal is to spend as little money as possible. They're trucks! On the other hand, my Lincolns are pristine.

I’ll get yelled at again, but I think it’s silly to take a 30 year old truck that you’re going to work from or run through the woods, and take it to the body shop and put a $3000 paint job on it. That’s me, but I fully respect the guys who do. It’s America, it’s what it’s all about! But I’ll be completely happy with my $50 paint job and $2950 still in the bank!!!

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The damage is from a VW jetta using my truck to stop instead of its brakes, 0-60 in .0001 seconds.

I had to repaint the hood years later, because when I did the original paint job I ran out of primer when I got to the front. Did that with a brush and it came out nicer, always did any touch up jobs with a brush too.

There was an artical in Hot Rod about a $500 paint job, They used stripped an old camaro primed and painted it with a paint roller. They did a nice job, lots of sanding to get everything to look smooth.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Prime, roll, tip, repeat, and then STOP! Think of the remaining sanding swirl and brush marks as “character.” I watched a Kounts Kustoms episode once because they were working on my vintage Town Car. They paid a fortune to make the paint look like water droplets were in/on the paint. Silly. I just park mine under a tree before the paint dries. I hope a yellow jacket gets stuck in the paint. I’ll move it to the center and have a hood ornament! I’m a Ga Tech fan...

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My truck always looked like it had just finished raining too.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Any ideas on what this issue could be?
The engine will suddenly start sputtering and surging, and sometimes puffing black smoke, then clear up after about 30 seconds to a minute. (Almost like when you leave the choke on on a lawn mower)
I'm almost 100% sure it's a sensor because when it clears up it's like someone flipped a switch and it fixed it. It's intermittent, and no CEL on the dash when it happens.
Happens mostly when the engine heats up, and I suppose it's something to do with the heat affecting a sensor which makes it go crazy. The wiring for the oxygen sensor was all melted and messed up, so I rewired it and replaced the oxygen sensor, this helped a little but it still does it once in a while.
I've checked the fuel pressure when it happens at idle and it seems normal.
What baffles me is that it isn't a constant issue and it happens randomly once the truck gets hot.
O2 sensor fixes my issue with those random problems. Sounds like you did replace yours already. Wiring on mine was bare and shorted out the O2 sensor sending the computer bad data. Your PCM could also be the problem. Mine still has a slight hiccup once in a while too, but I think mine actually might be the alternator or the voltage regulator as anytime I turn the lights on or the heater fan the idle starts surging. It does this for a few minutes at startup then suddenly its fine...so thinking mine is actually a voltage issue...as the computer I think requires a pretty steady voltage in order for it to maintain the proper fuel/air ratio and injector firing timing.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Here you go rick.

I painted my 92 F150 with Rustoleum Royal Blue, had planned to put some white down the side in the body lines too.

It's hard to tell because it raining in the pictures, but there were definitely a bunch of runs. I painted it with an electric house spray gun, but they could have been cleaned up. I bet if i thinned it out a bit first it would have layed down ok too.
View attachment 55814View attachment 55815
With the paint you'd have to actually thin it about 50/50 paint thinner/paint from what I have been researching. I'm going to be repainting my Ranger this year completely, using the cheap Rustoleum paint method with a spray gun. The truck is white but the bottom and around the fenders is deep blue. Going to repaint the whole truck then instead of the blue on the bottom I think I'm going to go with black because the bumpers on the truck are black so I think it would look better that way.

Several thin coats, let it dry completely, lightly sand with 600 grit sand paper, clean it off, let it dry then apply another coat of paint. Thinking of doing 2-3 coats of paint and then a couple coats of clear coat...don't mix them together like those el-cheapo paint job companies....err Maaco does. Do the paint, then the clear coat after the final coat of paint has completely dried. I think a couple coats of clear coat will be plenty as well...nice thing with these Rustoleum paint jobs, its pretty cheap, couple hundred bucks in supplies. If you screw it up, sand it down a bit, and paint it again. Lots of prep work is the only thing that really sucks. Lights have to come out, grill has to be removed, bumpers removed, mirrors, etc. That's what I'm really not looking forward to doing, the painting part is easy, its all the work before and after that sucks LOL.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Just like a lot of things, paint is 80% prep work. It's always the most tedious part.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals