• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

went thru water, now trans shudders

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
went thru about 18" water, now the trans shudders, engine doesnt, but trans shudders and clicks when try to accel. did i screw up?

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
engine doesnt seem to shudder in nuetral when i rev it up, but it also shudders in park so i dont know. i alsso smelled something burning when i shut it off.

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok oil is not milky, and no water thru af

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
What do the electrical connectors to the transmission look like? Water could be shorting them out.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You might want to check if the trans fluid looks like a strawberry milkshake.

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
havent checked connections. its rainin like hell and its dark right now so i cant check them right now. But i thought the same thing just didnt know exactly where the connectors were. thanks for the reply.

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
trans fluid looks normal, not milky. Im hopin its just a wet connection

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
My 2004 developed a massive misfire once when I went through standing water faster than I should have. For a while it would not run at all. After the engine fully dried out it was fine again - I'm quite sure it's the coil pack but have not replaced it yet.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If the water was 18" deep I'd check the fluids in everything for water dilution, transfer case, front and rear ends, and if you're ambitious, the front hubs.

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have an air compressor. I'll blow the trans connectors out tomorrow the first chance I get, ill see if there is water in there then. I don't think it got high enough to wet the coil but I'll check for water. Its not 4wd and the rear end needs changing anyway but that wouldnt cause a problem would it, not immediately i mean. The more I think about it, trans connectors seem likely. I was worried i really screwed up something. I feel better now after checking the fluids. Also, could it have gotten into the torque converter, would that cause an immediate problem?

Just to clarify, the shuddering started immediately , like 30 seconds, after going through the water. Water getting into the engine or trans or torque converter or rear end would take longer than that to manifest itself wouldnt it. Thanks for the responses.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I have an air compressor. I'll blow the trans connectors out tomorrow the first chance I get, ill see if there is water in there then. I don't think it got high enough to wet the coil but I'll check for water. Its not 4wd and the rear end needs changing anyway but that wouldnt cause a problem would it, not immediately i mean. The more I think about it, trans connectors seem likely. I was worried i really screwed up something. I feel better now after checking the fluids. Also, could it have gotten into the torque converter, would that cause an immediate problem?

Just to clarify, the shuddering started immediately , like 30 seconds, after going through the water. Water getting into the engine or trans or torque converter or rear end would take longer than that to manifest itself wouldnt it. Thanks for the responses.
If it happend that fast i would almost bet 100% its electrical.

What year is the truck?

If it has a rear axle mounted speed sensor id start there.

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well i blew the connectors out at the trans (3 connectors) this morning, also the ignition coil connector. Haven't seen any water yet. Crunk it when i got home -still shudders. I'll check crankshaft and camshaft position sensors tommorow. Retrieved codes, they are p300, 302, and 316. all misfire codes. Also didnt pull the computer module plug. I'll get back at it tommorow.
I also borrowed a snap on modis edge diagnostic tool if i can figure out how to use it.

Last edited:

delaware74b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Pull the coilpack and inspect for cracks in the epoxy. The codes you pulled indicate multiple misfires and miss on #2 cylinder (passenger side, center). I've been there with high water and misfire. On my truck, I replaced the plugs, wires and coilpack and no misfires since.

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update...Well whatever got wet, musta dried out. Drove it down the road today and no problems. I did look at the coil. No cracks in the epoxy but there looked to be several hairline cracks in the top. One crack was already there, but not sure about the others. I may get a spare coil to be safe. I appreciate the help folks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals