• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

very urgent question

PFC Laird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
352FE
Transmission
Automatic
ok i've been trying to find a way to get some extra pull out of my 94 2.3l

i've looked into what it would take to get a v8 in and i've looked into what it would take to get turboed.

It just seemed to be something a little out of my price/skill range.

But i was on craigslist just dinkin around and i stumbled apon this

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/893593622.html

the 302 supposedly leaks coolant into the #6 cylinder, i'm not too familiar with the 5.0s, what could cause that?

what caught my eye tho is that he has the ranger mounts and oil filter relocator.

anyways, i have always thought of myself as "mechanically inclined", but if i knew pretty much what i was doing, how hard would it be to throw this in my ranger on a 4-day weekend? when i get a tranny of course or could i use my stock 5-speed? (reason i ask is i knew somebody who used their stock auto in their lx mustang after a v8 swap)

PFC Laird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
352FE
Transmission
Automatic
reason i say urgent is because idk how much longer this guy is going to have it.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The coolant is likely from a blown head gasket. In which case, there may be other problems that caused the blown gasket. Like it was overheated. Or it could have a cracked head or block. Based on what you've told me as far as experience and mechanical ability, you're not going to be able to complete the swap in 4 days. I'd allow at least 4 weeks, working on weekends and in your spare time. As far as worrying about how long the guy will have it, don't be rushed into this. With the way the economy is going, there will be many other opportunities, with desperate sellers to choose from. Your 4 banger 5 speed will not handle the extra torque, so forget about using it.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
at $200 for the engine all elec. plus the filter kit and mounts.............pretty good deal!

even if the block is trashed you have a core for a crate engine.
heads bad,blocks good your at a good starting point............roll of the dice.

yea..............forget about 4 days unless you got picked for "over haulin" by chip foose!

PFC Laird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
352FE
Transmission
Automatic
the reason i said 4 days is because while i was still in school me and my dad swapped out the 350 in my mom's chevelle for a 400 sb and we had done it in a day...

i know it would take a bit longer than that because of the computer and all, and that the technology in 1972 was quite simpler.

but the hobby shop here on post has all (and then some) the tools i would need to do this quickly.

brett

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i used a 84 tbird motor
dropped right in has dual sump pan already
took off the fan and a stock 91 exploder rad bolted up to the stock holes i plugged the trans lines and used a romote cooler
the aod trans from same car fit the crossmember with no mods
the stock ranger driveshaft fit perfect
jeggs sells motor mount plates for 70-something bucks that fit with one hole drilled on each side you can use the stock ones on the motor
84 came with 2 injectors in the carb (tbi) i opted to go with a four bbl intake and carb
the tbird alternator is a 3 wire so easy hookup
i bougt a 84 tbird with aod running for 200 no battery(just put in a new one)
car looked like crap but only had 130000 km
it took 1 day to get the motor and trans bolted up
the little stuff is what takes forever
im 3 weekends in and i just need spark to be running
tv cable and exhaust to complete her

brett

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
check usedvictoria.com
theres a guy with a 302 c4 driveshaft and 9" rear end for 400
its been there for a couple months you could get it for 2-300

PFC Laird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
352FE
Transmission
Automatic
ok....the little stuff

how easy is it for gas hookup, speedo cable, computer swap? im pretty sure im not thinking of something here...any help would be appreciated

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Not sure what you mean as far as gas hookup. That could be as simple as plugging in the EFI lines (if they even come that close to fitting) to rigging a new fuel system for a carb (pump, lines and regulator) The speedo cable is the easy part, it'll plug right in unless the transmission you choose has the speedo hole on the opposite side of the tailshaft.

PFC Laird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
352FE
Transmission
Automatic
well i'm hoping to go with fuel injection...i just hope my stock lines hook up right...or will they not have enough flow?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
dude, just regear that 4cyl with 4.11s and call it good. with the price of gas do you really want to feed a 5.0L? I know that some are getting the same or better mileage with the V8 but you are young and wont keep your foot out of it...... Hell i am almost middle aged and i wouldn't keep my foot out of it..... A turbo would be the same work as a 5.0L swap and with a turbo 2.3L you would beat the shit out of that 5.0L. either way you need a t5 tranny or an AOD for you automatic guys.

now all that being said i hate to crap on somebodies idea so.........

no you can't do it in a week end
not in a million years will your stock transmission stand up to a V8, that stock LX transmission is an AOD but it wont stand up for long.
it is a little more involved than just hooking up the stock lines but yeah, something like that.
it is the wiring that will be the most time consuming and it would drive a Quaker to the Jack Daniels bottle.

Last edited:

PFC Laird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
352FE
Transmission
Automatic
yea it was just an idea...and engine w/mounts and relocator for 200 was a good deal....key word WAS, the guy never emailed me so i finally called him and he had sold it yesterday morning.

I wouldn't keep my foot out of it if i was 45, but it does seem like alot of work to be doing to my only mode of transportation.

Maybe i can just port the heads, and cam it...but i have no idea where to even start when it comes to cams

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thats a very sharp truck you have.
find a good rolling body and start a side project.that way you can build it like you want and drive the one you have now everyday.

PFC Laird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
352FE
Transmission
Automatic
thats a very sharp truck you have.
find a good rolling body and start a side project.that way you can build it like you want and drive the one you have now everyday.
that's the thing...i would but i live in the barracks. I have no place to park another car and work on it.:bawling:

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Maybe 5% of folks who attempt such a swap pull it off and do it quickly.

Another probably 45% finish such a swap in probably two or three months, after A LOT of trial, error, and research to make everything fit.

The other 50% don't finish AT ALL.....the vehicle sits, they end up buying another and either selling the albatross to someone else or having it hauled off.

The EFI adaptation, PARTICULARLY the fuel line plumbing, ends up being the big job.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals