• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Valvoline VPS Oil Cleaner

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
So this stuff is back on Ebay after a bit of hiatus, and for a reasonable $13. But it only offers a $14.15 expedited shipping option! Is this stuff normally in the $20's? and they're trying to lure people by making up their cost via shipping charges?

I've looked around a bit and can't seem to find it offered anywhere else though, where else do you get this stuff?

I'd like to give my GMC and my Saturn SL a run through next oil change. I saw some pictures here on TRS a while back and was pretty impressed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VALVOLINE-VPS-COMPLETE-OIL-SYSTEM-CLEANER-1-GAL-SOLVENT-FREE-PROFESSIONAL-USE-/331843787689?hash=item4d436e5ba9:g:jCwAAOSwlHRXI2u7&vxp=mtr

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Valvoline Professional Series(VPS) oil cleaner(flush) uses chemicals not allowed for residential use, i.e. kills the fish and the puppies, lol.

Which is why you don't see it at local Auto Parts stores

A gallon is 8lbs so heavy to ship

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I use flush all the time, basically every oil change. Usually Gunk (Walmart - Oil supplies is about the only thing I buy there) or Motor Medic (AutoZone brand).

But my GMC is used, So I'd like to run some through it. And the last oil change I did on my SL had a chunk of paper-like material stuck to the dipstick, but I didn't find any in the old oil. Probably won't get any paper out, but I'd like to try and clean out anything else that is in there.

I was under the understanding this was a special oil concoction, where you drain everything, fill it back up with this, run it for ~10min, and drain again.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've always run a quart of ATF for a 100 miles or so before changing the oil on a new to me car. I figure the detergents will help clean any varnish or gunge from lack of maintenance.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have used the Valvoline VPS kit before. Your understanding is basically correct. It is 4 qts of a 0-20 oil with a super concentrated detergent in the oil. You drain, change the filter, and fill. Top it off with the thinnest stuff you can get if your engine takes more than 4 quarts, then let it run for 10 minutes and it cleans everything.

The Valvoline rep did say not to use it on high-mile engines unless you know the service history and that the oil changes have been kept up with.

As for why it comes and goes. I bet Valvoline doesn't want the general public having full time access to their professional line.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The GMC supposedly has maybe 125k on a rebuild (allegedly rebuilt), looks pretty varnish-y through the valve covers but doesn't appear that there's any trace of sludge or other buildup. Of course I've had 2 or 3 flushes through it since I've owned it.

I do have a few quarts of Chrysler ATF +4 left over, maybe I'll throw one of those in for the next oil change.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals