• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Turns over but won’t start 4 cylinder 2.3 L Ford ranger xl

MarkMikos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Xl ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi,
I stopped at a stop sign and when I pushed the accelerator the engine died. Turning the ignition results in the engine turning over but it will not start. It sounded like fuel was not getting to the engine. I knew that the truck had never really been worked on when I bought it. It has 150,000+ miles on it, the fuel pump and fuel filter had never been replaced so that’s where I started. I replaced the fuel pump and the in line fuel filter. I tried to start the vehicle and had the same issue as before. I checked the pressure on the fuel line using the Schaefer valve and it has pressure, checked the return line to the gas tank and gas flows when pump is active. Next I grounded all of the spark plug lines to check for spark, all were good, I replaced all of the spark plugs. Still won’t start. I used an obd scanner to check for codes and it did not return any codes scanner read PASS no codes. What else could be the issue? Thank you.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Sounds like only thing left is injectors? Would be a long shot for all of them to go out at same time. No idea where the other end of the connector goes…. Relay, fuse, computer?

84tony

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Check the timing belt, could be broken or jumped time. They are supposed to be changed every 80K miles.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^^

Broken Timing belt is a common, and overlooked, issue on 2.3l Lima engines
No engine damage occurs, just a Crank but No Start issue
Look behind timing belt cover

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The big giveaway on a broken or skipped tooth on a timing belt is an uneven sound when cranking, it'll have dead spots when turning or no resistance... but that's where I'd go as well, if it has spark and fuel pressure it should run if the cam is turning...

MarkMikos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Xl ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks everyone, I pulled the cover and the timing belt is loose and cracked, pretty sure once I see the whole belt I will find a tear. Any tips for replacing a timing belt?

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Thanks everyone, I pulled the cover and the timing belt is loose and cracked, pretty sure once I see the whole belt I will find a tear. Any tips for replacing a timing belt?
It’s pretty straight forward. Just take off the stuff in front of it. The hardest part for me was figuring out how to get the plastic cover off. An ac line was in the worst spot ever to get that thing off

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Google: 1996 ford ranger 2.3l timing belt replacement video

Several are there
2.3l/2.5l are the same, 1995-2001

1994 and earlier are the same mechanically BUT...........different crank sensors

2.3l was used from 1974 to 1997 in several Ford Models, all used the same timing belt set up

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Google: 1996 ford ranger 2.3l timing belt replacement video

Several are there
2.3l/2.5l are the same, 1995-2001

1994 and earlier are the same mechanically BUT...........different crank sensors

2.3l was used from 1974 to 1997 in several Ford Models, all used the same timing belt set up
I’ve also read about the functionality of the accessory pulley. mine is just an idler so I didn’t dig too awful deep, but at some point the oil pump is driven off of it. That may or may not need to be timed as well. I think cali rangers had the cam sensor on the accessory pulley so timing it is essential on those.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
AUX gear always drove the oil pump, and distributor when it had one, up to 1988

Yes, 1989 to 1994 2.3l may or may not have a Cam Sensor, the AUX gear is what the Cam Sensor used, so if it had a Cam sensor then AUX gear needed to be timed, if no Cam sensor then it didn't

1995 to 2001 2.3l and 2.5l all had Cam Sensors
AUX and Cam gears are the same size, and interchangeable, so each one had BOTH timing marks, a triangle and a diamond, oriented for the key way on that gear
One of the issues is a 1/2 worn diamond looks like a.............................you guessed it, a triangle, lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals