• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TPS issue

hiker1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Had a new set of tires installed on my '07 Ranger XLT ext cab last week. Now my tire pressure light is on. It flashes for a while the stays on solid. Can't find any info about the TPS system for Rangers and I know if I go to the dealer they'll take an arm and a leg plus my 1st born. Can anyone offer insight or help? Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its called TPMS, tire pressure monitor system
TPS is throttle position sensor

Which may be why you didn't see any info on it

Go back to the tire shop that installed the new tires and have them reprogram the sensor in each wheel, they will have the handheld unit to do that, no reason for you to buy one, only takes a couple of minutes

2006 and up vehicles were required to have TPMS
There is a pressure sensor inside each wheel, it uses a wireless transmitter to send data to the TPMS unit
The batteries in these sensor do wear out, 7 to 10 years is expected
Each sensor has a unique ID which the TPMS needs to associate to each corner of vehicle
Thats where the handheld device comes in
If you rotate the tires or switch them around then TPMS needs to re-learn each location
So it has a reset/re-learn mode that is used to calibrate locations again, using the hand held device

Since you have a 2007 your sensors are 13 years old, so they are either the 2nd set or are 1st set starting to die

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Go back to the tire shop that installed the new tires and have them reprogram the sensor in each wheel, they will have the handheld unit to do that, no reason for you to buy one, only takes a couple of minutes
If the light was out before tire replacement and is now flashing its more likely they clipped a sensor while breaking beads.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Like RonD said. Take the truck back to the shop that installed your tires. It's on them to make it right and on their dime, not yours. This is assuming the purchase was recent and you haven't let the issue drag on for a while before looking at fixing it.

hiker1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Many Thanks to all

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals