• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Timing cover potential for ruining Oil pan gasket

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Lightened it up a bit. That pan sticks out there a ways
Shran KIMG1358.JPG

Ede

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Well, took off the harmonic balancer and timing cover. The cover did not want to release with the 2 front oil pan bolts so I also removed two more which in hindsight probably didn’t do much to help. I gently pried and the oil pan gasket definitely wanted to stick. I rotated the pan as it held in place and used my plastic putty scraper to help keep the pan gasket from tearing off which seemed to help. However, according to YouTuber Ford Tech Makuloco, if you have a tan, floppy oil pan gasket instead of the rigid style, you gotta replace it. Also noticed on the rear pan bolt, an o ring seal broke. 😞

Looks like the according to the maual, I will have to lift the engine it to replace the oil pan gasket. Just got to figure out a way to do that. 😂 Hope I didn’t bite off more than I can chew and that I can get this all back together, running again!

6DE2BBB2-76A2-4463-BF93-7056FA01BDA0.jpeg

4444E0CE-E3D5-431E-9AB4-F94801E9DD10.jpeg

Ede

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got a welder?? Uhmm, nevermind
Can you do carpenter work?
I believe you could build one of those fender ledge lifts with a few ground treated 2x4's and some treated plywood. Those kind are much more durable and rugged than plain pine framing stuff.

If you do that make sure to keep your hands and fingers out from under any part of it

Part 2. It's still hooked to the transmission also, that could be a whole nuther can of worms :/

Reactions: Ede

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Have you already considered the possibility of buying, borrowing, or renting a decent engine lift ?

Ede

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Have you already considered the possibility of buying, borrowing, or renting a decent engine lift ?
Looking into renting or borrowing one. Someone who has recently done his pan gasket is trying to dissuade me from doing my pan gasket since it didn’t tear (hopefully). He said the job truly sucks without a lift. 🤔🥹 😢

Ede

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Got a welder?? Uhmm, nevermind
Can you do carpenter work?
I believe you could build one of those fender ledge lifts with a few ground treated 2x4's and some treated plywood. Those kind are much more durable and rugged than plain pine framing stuff.

If you do that make sure to keep your hands and fingers out from under any part of it

Part 2. It's still hooked to the transmission also, that could be a whole nuther can of worms :/
That is an option.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Everyone's definitely of "sucks" is really subjective, a clutch job on a Ranger is one good example that many people really complain about but I am good enough at them now that I can knock one out by 8PM if I start at 5 right after I get off work. If you don't have to pull the transmission to get the oil pan out, it can't be that bad!

I did a pan gasket on a 2.3 years ago with the engine in the truck and it wasn't too bad (trans removed, of course.) The worst part was getting the dipstick caught between the pan and block and cracking the pan because I wasn't aware that it was there. THAT sucked.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Awesome man :)

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looks like it was intended to work, whether it will or not is yet to be disclosed.
Reminds me of that old ad in the newspaper, "Hang Glider, Cheap!, used one time, slightly damaged. Saint Thomas Hospital, Room 204"

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It really needs another angle or two. To the right in that photo it appears jumbled, or maybe something beyond is mixed in tho not part of the rig?
If it looks nothing's broke or amiss in person I'd take a shot I believe
$50 really won't buy a lot these days, I stuck almost 50 into a cheap bag of dog food the other day, and it wasn't even my dog
If you can get something that's ready to go for 50 that's quite a deal. One piece of plywood to start building one up would cost that

Ede

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Well, I picked it up today. Looks like these supports/hoists were sold around 1998 and made from heavy wall tubing. The weakest link appears to be the come along weld, although they are rated for 500 lbs. I can see why the newer ones don’t use come alongs and just use spider handles on threaded rod. Mine has an attachments for a holding device that is threaded which I will use as safety before going under the vehicle. Also has an accessory offset bar attachment for increased stability transmission support. Overall I think it will work and since it was on offer up, paid only $35.
F73E3D89-4A12-4C28-BFEB-62A75BF34648.jpeg
1EF44086-D725-41F8-ABEC-80574C81F412.jpeg
405E2199-8CD5-4F32-874E-B73F1C1F2FCB.jpeg

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Awesome man, you came out like a bandit on that. It looks better than any of the others I've been seeing, and likely built better. A year in manufacturing days can be worlds away in design, materials, and workmanship.
Hek, i'll give you 40 for it right now! :D

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What does that "holding device", "J" do? I think on some of those cheapies and home made there was somthing like that for lifting it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals