• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

time to play-price that axle!

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there's a guy selling this locally and was curious what you guys would pay for it. it's a HP FW 44 out of a 79 F-150. it's got cast wedges so narrowing it isn't a problem. he's asking 150 for this axle plus 60 for the radius arms and brackets. I was gonna offer 100 bucks for everything, which will include this axle housing (has carrier and gears but no shafts) 7* c bushings, radius arms, and RA brackets. it doesn't have steering, spindles, brakes, or hubs as can be seen in the pic.

I was plannin on upgrading to chromo's later on anyways so if I can get this cheap I can cut out a step in my build process (running stock shafts). he said it'll need new ball joints too-so pretty much just a housing and carrier. is it worth it or should I just get a complete from a yard? I guess my real question is what parts will actually still be good from a '79 junkyard axle? if I'm gonna be replacing everything anyways I might as well start fresh (this axle).

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So it's a fullwidth D44 w/ no shafts and worn out balljoints?

I'd give him a case of beer.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah I started pricing out parts and I think I'll just go to the local yard and try to find an EB 44. I'd have a lot of money wrapped up in this to build it, might as well try and find a complete and take the chance of breakin shit till I get the money for chromos n such

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
i bought a fw hp d44 out of a 78 f150 and the matching 9 inch for $20 and they are complete minus the wheels and lug nuts. they just need brakes

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
damn that's cheap!

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
i will see if the guy has another set. at one time he had a set with locked 4.56 gears and all new brakes and lockouts. he wanted $150 for iirc

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if he's got a locked RA'd 44 with 4.56's I'd be all over that-for the right price of course

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
That isn't worth anything really. I can get one of those for free from my inlaws neighbors. I'm picking probably a half dozen 44 up, 2 being HP as well as a few 9in rears, a couple NP435s, a T18, 2 NP203 and a 205. They have "junk" (in their mind) laying around while it's pretty much like gold to me.

Matt

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if he's got a locked RA'd 44 with 4.56's I'd be all over that-for the right price of course
Bray try Tinkers Toy Shop in Canton. He usually has some of the EB axles laying around.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there's a guy selling this locally and was curious what you guys would pay for it. it's a HP FW 44 out of a 79 F-150. it's got cast wedges so narrowing it isn't a problem. he's asking 150 for this axle plus 60 for the radius arms and brackets. I was gonna offer 100 bucks for everything, which will include this axle housing (has carrier and gears but no shafts) 7* c bushings, radius arms, and RA brackets. it doesn't have steering, spindles, brakes, or hubs as can be seen in the pic.

I was plannin on upgrading to chromo's later on anyways so if I can get this cheap I can cut out a step in my build process (running stock shafts). he said it'll need new ball joints too-so pretty much just a housing and carrier. is it worth it or should I just get a complete from a yard? I guess my real question is what parts will actually still be good from a '79 junkyard axle? if I'm gonna be replacing everything anyways I might as well start fresh (this axle).

find out what its worth scrap weight and offer him that, about all its worth

bradz71

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 BII
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't pay more than $150-$200 for a COMPLETE HP D44. There's places in this area that you can find better deals than that.

Last edited:

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah I know, that's why I was gonna offer 100 for the housing, radius arms, and brackets. I'll probably hit up tinker's toy in canton like Brett said (thanks Brett!).

I'm not really in a hurry for an axle anyways, I'd like to have it built and installed by august so I've got some time. it'd be nice to locate an axle and buy it so at least I know I'll have one to build when the time comes.

chico4554

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i gave away the rest of my HP 44. It was the housing and diff/gears. I wouldnt pay anything for that.

Tweeder

Reaction score
FWIW, i gave $150 for a D44 complete from lockout to lockout with cast wedges, radius arms, and tie-rod.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals