• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Three ?'s about GT40 heads

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not a swap question, but this seems the most fitting forum.

1. What is the average cost for a set, and how good are they for value-for-money?

2. If switching from stock iron heads, do I need to change anything else for everything to work properly?

3. Did they come stock on anything available enough that I might find them at Pick n Pull?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Not a swap question, but this seems the most fitting forum.

1. What is the average cost for a set, and how good are they for value-for-money?
Used - $100-$250 a set around here, even cheaper if you go pull them.

2. If switching from stock iron heads, do I need to change anything else for everything to work properly?
That depends. What is the bottom end?

3. Did they come stock on anything available enough that I might find them at Pick n Pull?
96 and 97 Ford Explorer or Mercury Mountaineer. The 98 and up had GT40P heads, which I personally like better (and also have on my Mustang). But the spark plug angle is different than the older production heads and that can make spark plug clearance an issue. But that can be dealt with.

What are you working on?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
You might find this useful:

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks man! Luckily my buddy texted me saying that when we were at PnP to get by console and bucket seats he saw 3 pair of GT40 heads so hopefully they will still be there. The whole engine is stock, thing even still has the distributor boot on.

Also lucky for me, even after tax due to PnP's fixed pricing the set of heads should come in under $100.

Yesterday I aquired my friend's '91 Crown Vic. Blew a head gasket, luckily and very carefully (even though it certainly wasn't that safe for the car) I got it to my driveway.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Are you considering putting the heads on the '91 vic engine? Might be better off just starting with a 96-97.5 ex engine complete with the shorter fead than trying to do something with the blown vic engine.

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The engine isn't wrecked. Just rough. Theres no way I could afford to swap in another engine.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thought you were asking because you wanted to swap it into your Ranger - V8 conversion forum... :) Misunderstood what your intentions were, actually missed the first line of your first post. lol

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's cool. This was the only fitting forum. Teeeechnically it would be "Non-RBV Tech" but since it's a 5.0 I figured this would be a better place. So I shouldn't have any issue boltin on the GT40's and everything being as it should? Aside from the spark plug clearance, is there any other issue with the GT40P's?

Followup quesion, whast the general power gain the the GT40's over stock, and the P's? For the normal GT40's my friend estimated about 30 HP.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
It's cool. This was the only fitting forum. Teeeechnically it would be "Non-RBV Tech" but since it's a 5.0 I figured this would be a better place. So I shouldn't have any issue boltin on the GT40's and everything being as it should? Aside from the spark plug clearance, is there any other issue with the GT40P's?

Followup quesion, whast the general power gain the the GT40's over stock, and the P's? For the normal GT40's my friend estimated about 30 HP.
The P heads are great. I got a set of cheap headers for mine that clear fine. I have pics in my Mustang thread if interested. The one thing is, they burn a lot cleaner than the previous heads, so Ford eliminated the AIR tube holes on the back of the head. I just re-routed my smog pump stuff a bit and it's worked great.

I also would suggest taking the intake manifold from the Explorer. They are a really nice upgrade as well. Some guys like the Explorer injectors better too.

EDIT: Here's the pic of Cylinder 7 - The only one that might give me a squabble when I change it. It should work OK with an open end wrench on a spark plug socket. Also, I used plug wires for an 89 Blazer for the 90 degree boots for added clearance.

And the other pics (nevermind about going to my thread, LOL):

Last edited:

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
She's already got 90 degree boots. When I go I'll only have the cash for the heads, I'm debating on what to do with the intake. Is the improved intake found just with the GT40/P heads or are most Expo intakes just a bit better? I'm deffinitely aiming for the P's then. I'm mostly getting the heads early because of the affordability and the fact the stockers are coming off for the new gaskets anyways. After it's running properly I'm gonna start digging into it.

Also, repped for the awesome info. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
She's already got 90 degree boots. When I go I'll only have the cash for the heads, I'm debating on what to do with the intake. Is the improved intake found just with the GT40/P heads or are most Expo intakes just a bit better? I'm deffinitely aiming for the P's then. I'm mostly getting the heads early because of the affordability and the fact the stockers are coming off for the new gaskets anyways. After it's running properly I'm gonna start digging into it.

Also, repped for the awesome info. :icon_thumby:
All of the 5.0 Explorers have the GT-40/Cobra style intake. It shouldn't pose much of an issue if you just hook all of your vacuum stuff up. The vacuum locations will be a bit different, but easily adapted. I would also grab the 65mm throttle body. It can be used with a little modding too.

Thanks for the rep!!

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Also, all of them had GT-40 or GT-40P heads. The P heads can be identified by the letters GTP that are cast near the bottom right head bolt.

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the extra parts info. Like I said, I will only be able to afford the heads on my first trip back, but I'm gonna keep the rest on my personal wishlist. I might attempt some light port n polishing using the old heads as practice. Now it's gettin me exicted for the build thread.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks man! Luckily my buddy texted me saying that when we were at PnP to get by console and bucket seats he saw 3 pair of GT40 heads so hopefully they will still be there. The whole engine is stock, thing even still has the distributor boot on.

Also lucky for me, even after tax due to PnP's fixed pricing the set of heads should come in under $100.

Yesterday I aquired my friend's '91 Crown Vic. Blew a head gasket, luckily and very carefully (even though it certainly wasn't that safe for the car) I got it to my driveway.
Two things here: First is the stock cam in the Vic motor sucks. Big time. The Explorer cam is better by a long shot. Which brings us to the second thing: The Vic's pistons do not have valve reliefs, which may get you into piston to valve contact, depending on the cam profile. The "sploder cam (this is called the F4TE by Ford and was also used in the 94-97 5.0's and 5.8's in truycks and vans) will likely be OK here, but you still need to verify the clearances before running the motor. An HO cam will also likely be OK with this combo. Anything bigger in profile will definately be a no-go. On the plus side the Vic's FEAD (Front End Accessory Drive) is one which many have used in these swaps. But if you can grab an Explorer's FEAD (everything from the timing cover forward, the timing covers on these are unique to the waterpump so you'll need it, it was also used on only a couple of other applications as well.) do that instead, it'll gain you much needed room for a radiator and fans.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals