• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

That Pesky Morning Stumble

PGHFord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
Ever have that early morning stumble where truck sits all night and you go to start it up and it stumbles around a little or you go to put it into drive and start to go and it stumbles? Well I think I found the answer! Was reading on another site for a different ford truck and... over time the intake manifold gets loose, try retorqing the bolts that hold the intake plenum to the intake manifold, snug it down some. Also your EGR you may have cleaned the hole that goes from the EGR into the intake plenum a couple years ago, but over time that hole gets clogged back up again. If you got a stiff piece of wire/concrete bailing wire try inserting it in that hole if it only goes about an inch and stops, its clogged that wire should feed all the way in about 3 inchs. How you can check to is take a air gun and open the throttle plate air should flow freely from the outside to the inside, if it doesnt its clogged, get some intake cleaner or carb cleaner and start cleaning, keep poking that stiff wire into the hole until it is cleared, air gun blows free and clear into plenum. Ill tell you my truck runs like as some refer to it a raped ape, ive increased power, goes up hills without issue. :headbang:

PGHFord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
Oh dont forget get an EGR valve gasket too.

PGHFord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
Another tip off, you scan your computer and code 33 comes up, EGR related is the code.

jhammel85

Thanks for posting! I might have to check that out. My egr is disabled since I'm using an 88 computer.

Did you just check to see if the intake was still torqued to spec?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My morning stumble was caused by a missing electrode in the #1 spark plug.

PGHFord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for posting! I might have to check that out. My egr is disabled since I'm using an 88 computer.

Did you just check to see if the intake was still torqued to spec?
I have a torgue wrench but didnt use it, I just snugged the bolts that hold the plenum to the intake manifold up some, snug meaning not strong arming, just a little firm snug, not too much. Other thing is I just put this EGR valve on 2 years ago and cleaned the hole out, it doesnt take long to get clogged back up, thinking now every year or two for routine maintenance as long as I still own this truck im going to take off the egr and clean the hole out. I put some antiseize on the threads of the pipe and fitting that go into it so each time its easy to remove, if you use antiseize just on the threads keep it off the seat of the pipe or from getting down in the pipe when it reattachs to the EGR, dont want antiseize getting inside the engine.

PGHFord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
My morning stumble was caused by a missing electrode in the #1 spark plug.
I ruled that out this past summer, was thinking plugs, but after I did a complete tune up with new plugs, cap, rotor, wires, fuel filter(s), air filter, pcv it was still there. I use autolite AP regular platium plugs in my 2.9L seems to get better gas mileage, tried copper plugs and didnt seem to improve that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals