• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tethering with an unlimited plan

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
we live 4 miles from town... i can see town.

there is a century link box right at the bottom of the hill yet the still say they cant come up the hill..

comcast is only available 25 miles to the north (moscow)

i currently reside with my old man because he has copd and needs the help. there is a trailor about 5 spots down for 13k i was thinking of buying. wanting to stay close to him... he cant make a sandwhich without taking a break inbetween slices. its bad

i planned on paying about 200-250 a month for 2 unlimited phones. planned on getting lte devices. and i live right on the edge of verizon/sprints 4g. had sprints 3g before i thought for videos and such it was just fine. and im willing to put forth 500$ per phone if thats what it cost to get unlimited 4g

found out today that dish network offers tv up here. and they also offer internet... im assuming hughes net, or wild blue.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would be fine paying the extra charge from sprint for tethering if they let you tether unlimted too but from my understanding its just a few gigs

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Line of sight to town... Good. How many miles out? Do you have a friend in town with broadband? Picture of town from your house would be helpful.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Before the internet, we used to spend hours making words with calculators... maybe you could take that up?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah i do and hes kind of a computer geek. but i doubt his dad would let him have anything to do with scamming cable one lol. but my house is roughly 4 miles from town. idk if i have a clear enough line of site tho. therez a big ass paper mill between me and town.

any one ever change there user agent to make it look as if its there phone instead of an computer?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
WHat we would be attempting would not be scamming anyone. It would be setting up a link between your house and his for piggy backing on his broadband. Nothing illegal to doing that.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
i would be fine paying the extra charge from sprint for tethering if they let you tether unlimted too but from my understanding its just a few gigs
I don't pay for mine. Just don't use the app that is on the phone that comes from sprint. Use a program like PDAnet or easy tether.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Radio? What is this mysterious "Radio"? Never heard of one......
What did the elephant say to the other elephant in the bathtub ?
"Pass the soap, radio"

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
im not sure how many do this. we live on a hillside in what is basically a retirement park with 40 or so trailors.. nice little community. but... the land owner wont let cable, satelite, dish, or any internet or tv companys. run up the hill to us.

being 20 without internet or tv is more or less boring.

ive been reading about verizon, sprint, at&t and t-mobiles unlimited plans. but from what ive found there iether not truly unlimited or you get like 6 gigs to tether. i need more than that. as my girl friend and i work differwnt shifts the dvd player/ tv is always on. as would be netflix.

anyone have any thoughts or input?help..

..and the last person to start a petition to get internet/tv was evicted.. or so ive been told.
I would check your lease very carefully for anything regarding TV, internet, or cause for summary eviction.

If you find nothing prohibiting these services and nothing allowing for eviction without failure to perform on your part (ie pay rent, keep lot clean/mowed, etc), start a petition and if he evicts you for it, sue him.

Although if he is prohibiting satellite dish it sounds like he is in violation of FCC rules and you can sue him already.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like you're locked into an odd situation since you live with your Dad, and rightfully so, and are bound by his lease. Maybe his situation (medical) would be enough to get the landlord to bend if you can convince him/them that the service you want would help your Dad. People like that are kinda weird though...wonder if he could be swayed by free service to his place if you could swing a deal with a provider. Oh, by the way, Hughes satellite is better than nothing...but just barely. Good luck.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
from what ive gathered no companys offer services out here. iether.because of the landlord or because were outside city limits. im gonna contact the landlord and ask what the deal is. at worst ill get an expensive sprint phone and pay for a tethering app and change the user agent so it looks as though its my phonez web browser not the computer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals