• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) Swapping Duratec into 61 Rambler

Frank S

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2006 Duratec Four
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I recently purchased a totaled 2006 Ranger, base model with 2.3L Duratec and five speed auto. My plan is to just pull everything from the Ranger and plop it into a 1961 Rambler American convertible engine bay just like it came out of the Ranger -- or as close to that as I can. So I plan on using the complete wiring harness and relay center. I'll pull all the wiring from the Rambler and use the Ranger wiring for headlights and such as well. I'm not sure what I'm going to do as far as instrumentation yet. I don't think I can use the Ranger components, and I don't think I can use the Rambler cable driven speedometer either. Will probably go with an aftermarket solution. Will I have any problems with the anti-theft systems? Since this is a base model is there anything in the instrument cluster that the computer needs to see for the engine to run? I know a friend swapped engines in an early 2000s Mustang and had to swap the instrument cluster as well. Any work around for that if that is an issue? Any advice?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I would try to graft the Ranger instrument cluster into the Rambler dash but it may require some careful fabrication to make it look right. If not maybe look at some of the street rod guys like Speedway to see if they have something you can use.
I like one off projects that you don't see every day. Please post some pictures.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
If you're not against using a modern screen in place of some analog gauges, there's displays that plug into the OBD2 port that can show most everything

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
With the Ranger dash you'd have to swap the rear axle to get the speedo to work...

Be sure to keep the PATS key from the Ranger and at least tie it to the receiver somewhere and wire around it. At some point they tied the PATS system into the dash and everything, it will run without the dash but the module sends the info to the cluster so it can get complicated with changes in stock form...

Frank S

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2006 Duratec Four
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
With the Ranger dash you'd have to swap the rear axle to get the speedo to work...

Be sure to keep the PATS key from the Ranger and at least tie it to the receiver somewhere and wire around it. At some point they tied the PATS system into the dash and everything, it will run without the dash but the module sends the info to the cluster so it can get complicated with changes in stock form...
I'm going to swap the Rambler axle (which is only 2.87) to a 4.11 (basically same as the Ranger 4.10) or a 3.78. I know 3.78 would throw the speedo off though.

Some of the Jeep and AMC/Rambler guys have had to tie the key under the dash when swapping in a later model 4.0L to overcome the security system. I guess I'll have to find the module on the steering column. Knowing it will run without the instrument cluster is the main thing I needed to know. I guess I need to find a factory manual that shows where everything is.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The receiver is surrounding the key switch from what I've heard, just a ring... once you get the column apart that might make sense, I haven't dug that deep into things...

Frank S

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2006 Duratec Four
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The Rambler cluster is sort of a flattened oval, the round Ranger gauges won't work. I want to keep it looking like a Rambler inside and out. Plan B is to use a low profile OBD-II gauge on top of the dash if I can't figure out a better way to make the speedo work. I'm looking for a company that can replace the analog speedo movement with an electronic, but haven't found one yet. It's not something I wouldn't tackle myself, but the Rambler has like a 120-140 degree sweep. Most modern gauges are round and have a 200+ degree sweep, so cutting a modern one apart and grafting the guts in isn't an option. I've seen the electric motor type that use a short cable and drive the cable speedo, but they are a bit expensive at just over $400, and some report issues with them. I'd rather spend a little more and convert the movement.
Another red convert.jpg

This is what the car WILL eventually look like. Below is what it looks like now...
Car On Stands 2.jpg

Engine bay with stock motor. You can see it's really tight side to side. I'm keeping the original front suspension, rebuilding it right now. Going is slow -- I only average 4-6 hours a MONTH to work right now, hope to improve that!
Engine Bay 1.jpg

One more for now: the Ranger I bought. The only three salvageable items on the body are the grille, one rear tail light, and the back cab window... On the plus side I have four nearly new 225/70R15 tires and wheels! AMC uses a 5x4.5" bolt pattern, so wheels fit. Might need 1/2" or so spacers since the wheels are 4" backset. Should clear in the rear, but may not clear the front suspension. It's a high mount spring style similar to an early Mustang, but unequal length control arms instead of a single arm and strut rod on bottom. Uses trunnion joints instead of ball, but they work well as long as they are kept lubricated.
RANGER 1.jpg

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm almost positive the PATS module is in the instrument cluster on the 2004 and up Rangers and is married to the ECM.

There are people out there that claim they are able to disable the PATS, but I don't know of any that have successfully done the 2004 and up Ranger.

need @RonD for this one

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
@bobbywalter knows a thing or two about deleting PATS I believe..

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
somewhere around 2004 ish there are differences....though ee5 vs 6 stuff and processor frame changes physically were the major things. tuning capacity isnt there due to demand.

call mars and see what they can do....give them the processor and vin numbers.

i have a 2009 2.3/5r55e platform i use for r@d. in hp tuners you have to go into the navigator and physically type in pats to even find it to turn it off. it is not like the other systems...not sure if it is doable on a 2007 in that way. i know alot of stuff there are a few other things you have to do so its better to just send it in so you dont wipe out a segment needed to start or shift. i have bricked more then one processor experimenting...

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
oh....this thing is kewlz....i am glad you posted it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, in 2004 Rangers got Digital Cluster(HEC),
If you look at a cluster and do not see the standard(old) odometer with rolling numbers then its an HEC
And HEC has PATS module built in
HEC also has micro processor that must "handshake" with PCM(engine computer) with key on, it prevented people(scammers) from swapping in lower mile odometer clusters
So if there is not a valid "handshake" or valid PATS key confirmation then it's a No Start

Frank S

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2006 Duratec Four
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
"call mars and see what they can do....give them the processor and vin numbers."

So who/what is "mars"??

So I'll have to figure out how to deal with the cluster handshaking... great!!! If it turns out to be too difficult I might just get a Microsquirt and re-wire the darn thing. It would be batch fire instead of sequential, but I don't think that would give up much as far as power and economy, if anything at all. I just don't want to remodel the entire dash or I'd use the Ranger cluster. Probably more likely intended to thwart chop-shops from selling parts rather than scammers. Just doesn't seem like enough money in scamming to be worth the manufacturers efforts, but insurance companies pushing anti-theft/chop shop stuff would be worth it.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like fun!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
"call mars and see what they can do....give them the processor and vin numbers."

So who/what is "mars"??

So I'll have to figure out how to deal with the cluster handshaking... great!!! If it turns out to be too difficult I might just get a Microsquirt and re-wire the darn thing. It would be batch fire instead of sequential, but I don't think that would give up much as far as power and economy, if anything at all. I just don't want to remodel the entire dash or I'd use the Ranger cluster. Probably more likely intended to thwart chop-shops from selling parts rather than scammers. Just doesn't seem like enough money in scamming to be worth the manufacturers efforts, but insurance companies pushing anti-theft/chop shop stuff would be worth it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals