• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Suggestions to flush out clutch fluid

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
As the title suggests.

We have our 95' explorer. Manual 5 speed.

Traced the shifting issues mostly due to clutch fluid being contaminated.

What seems to been happening is a lot of water was introduced into the system. After everything got 'hot' the clutch was a bear to get into 1st, 2nd and reverse would actually grind gears. So much to the point we shut the truck off, put it into reverse, and started-backed up where needed.

I bleed out the clutch about 3-4 shots just like bleeding brakes. What came out was wicked HOT fluid with almost a milky look to it.

We made sure the master didn't run dry, but given the size of that slave, I'm pretty sure there's still a lot more yuck fluid left into the mix. I know water in a brake system can and will boil due to the temps. I feel that is what is happening due to the amount of HOT fluid that we bleed out of it. Sense we have bleed it out, it goes into 1st and 2nd a tad stiff..but it's manageable. Reverse? No issues anymore. You do need to mash the pedal completely to the floor, but it no longer grinds. Slips right into gear no problem.

Fairly sure there's a lot more that should be flushed out. Other then bleeding it several more times (and slowly getting all that crud out) Is there any quick way of doing this in one sitting?

Thanks!

S-

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, no other method when slave is in the truck.

You can often just open the bleeder and let it gravity bleed, keeping reservoir full of course.

But pumping pedal with a helper will be faster

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Had a feeling. That fluid that came out of it looked like it sucked about 70% air/water into it. I'm not patient when it comes to bleeding brakes..or clutches it seems. But I can always run a hose into a jar, crack it open and let it drip it's way out. Sense the truck now shifts and it is manageable I want to ensure all the contaminated fluid (or as much as we can get) is out.

S-

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Pressure , is how shops do it

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah, just have to keep bleeding it.
Simply letting it dribble through probably isn't going to get all the old fluid out though, you have to keep pumping the pedal while opening/closing the bleeder to keep the new fluid stirring/mixing in with the old.

A year or so after I got my BII I flushed out the clutch hydraulics on it... I think I used up half of one of those big quart-size bottles of fluid before it finally started to clear up at the bleeder (fluid was real black & dirty, though no milkiness).

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
We just got back a little while ago. I bleed it out about 6 more depresses/unscrew...depress..unscrewed bleeder....

It's finally looking more like brake fluid, and the pedal height came up about 1/2". Not 100%, but it's working a lot better.

And of course, I go to take it off the jack stands-- And the old girl had a broken sway bar link?!? This truck is the gift that keeps on giving to the auto parts store...

On the flip side. Noted when I drove it home and went to park it- The front tires now have a heck of a scrubbing wobble when at very low speeds and trying to park into our spaces. I figure that was likely the sway bar link--Sense it's now 100%, it's doing it's thing with the tires on tight corners when one side starts to attempt to lift up. It's shoving itself back 'down' and creating a scrubbing action. I checked the suspension, everything steering related it nice and tight. (Except the rubber boots on the rack, those are torn. That's on my list-The P/O changed the rack and pinion and did a lousy job at it. (no leaks at the rack seals yet.)

S-

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals