• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stripped Accumulator Nut, How do I fix this?

CountryDriven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have no clue how to go about fixing this. I know I'm going to need another new accumulator since I attempted to install this one with the help of wd-40. I simply thought the threads had corrosion but the removal must have stripped them. Long story short its all stripped, how do I fix/replace the nut connecting the accumulator to the line? Any other tips on converting r12 to r134a would also be appreciated. A new compressor is being installed as well.

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
were it me, and I couldn't buy new with all the fittings, I would do this:
- cut off the flanged end of the pipe
- slip off the pipe fitting (nut)
- de-burr the pipe end and blow it out
- size a replacement fitting--you'll need to know width, thread pitch, and pipe diameter (outside diameter of pipe = inside diameter of fitting)
- get the fitting, slip it on, flange the pipe

That said, I'm certain someone else will chime in w/ much better advice than what I've offered up! :)

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The very best fix is to just replace the evaporator. Anything else and it will leak.

As for your retrofit you will need to flush all the old oil out of the system, drain the new compressor oil, and add ester oil in its place.

Then the system needs to be vacuumed at 29.9" for at least an hour to remove moisture from the system. The vacuum should hold for at least 20 minutes.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The very best fix is to just replace the evaporator. Anything else and it will leak.

As for your retrofit you will need to flush all the old oil out of the system, drain the new compressor oil, and add ester oil in its place.

Then the system needs to be vacuumed at 29.9" for at least an hour to remove moisture from the system. The vacuum should hold for at least 20 minutes.
i agree

these are the parts i ordered from rockauto.com mine was r 134a already though. might still work though
hose assembly --- FOUR SEASONS 55324
A/C Receiver Drier / Accumulator --- GPD 1411250

parts i just looked up on rockauto.com
Evaporator Core --- GPD Part # 4711370
Orifice Tube --- GPD Part # 3411247
orings --- GPD Part # 1321256

then all you would have to flush is the condenser and assemble add ester oil vacuum and charge system.

capacities for my 94 4.0l A/C are as follows

22 oz R134a
7 oz pag oil (you will use ester oil because of conversion from R12)

you should be able to retro fit your 93 to R134a with these parts but take this post with a grain of salt and do your research..

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I was going to say replace the orifice also after you flush the old oil out After you put it together put some nitrogen in and do a soap test first at around 50 psi then at 150 psi and leave up on pressure at least 1/2 hour. If it holds pressure vac it down for at least 45 minutes and then add the oil and the charge by weight. Once the system has enough pressure you can start it and pull the balance of the charge while running.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals