• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Strange High Idle, some advice needed...

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Okay guys, so my 88 2.9 decided to start idling high about a week or two ago (right around the same time that mornings started to hit the low 30's when I leave for work). As soon as it's fully warmed up, she normally idles perfect, dead at 800 RPM. Now, as soon as it's warmed up, she's idling at 900-950 in drive, 1k in park. What's weird is, if I snap the throttle, it comes back down to 800, then adjusts itself back up to the 900-950, as if it has no idea that it's idling too high. What's even weirder is that if I go on a longer than normal drive (say 10 miles/30 minutes instead of 5 miles/15 minutes) it will eventually correct itself and the idle will fall back down to 800... WTF.

So today, while trying to look for vacuum leaks, I spent a full bottle of carb/throttle body cleaner on it and didn't find anything. However, I did notice that when I stepped on the brakes, it will idle up a bit (50 to 100 rpm), and come back down when I let off. So, I then decided to pump the brakes for 10 seconds or so, and the idle came all the way up to 1100 or so, then back down to about 850 (had been idling in the driveway for close to half an hour at this point, after a short drive around town to warm up)... is this normal? I can hear a slight hissing sound when I have my pedal depressed that slowly goes away, could this be the source of my high idle? Or is it normal for idle to fluctuate when the brake pedal is depressed?

Any help is much appreciated. I am trying to install my center console soon, but I really can't justify spending the time on it when I know there is something else wrong. Thanks guys, 'preciate it ahead of time :headbang:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Booster might be on it's way out.

Higher idle is normal during cold weather operation though.

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yeah, but at 65 degrees or so on my way home, 950 rpm is a bit high... it's never done this before, at least. I've had the truck a little over 4 years now, and it's always had a solid 800 rpm idle, which is why this is driving me crazy. I'm just not sure if it's normal for idle to go up a bit when the brake is pressed. I'm just really anal when it comes to this truck, I can't think straight if there is something wrong with it that I can't figure out, hehe...

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Like I said, booster is probably at fault. Check it for fuel.

Mine has always idled around 950 or so.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Check the valve and the rubber grommet. I've seen this one personally. The rubber can get a split and cause some really oddball leaks. If the rubber grommet is nice and tight, and the valve is good? I'm with adsm....the booster might be on the way out.
(edit: this would be of course, the valve and grommet on the brake booster)

S-

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
How exactly would fuel get into the brake booster? I pulled the vacuum line off it earlier to see if it made a difference, but at that point it had been idling for a long time and had already come down quite a bit so it didn't do much.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Failed fuel pressure regulator would allow fuel into the vacuum system, where it generally pools in the booster. It's the #1 cause of booster failure.

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Okay, well the valve and grommet LOOK ok, I actually checked that earlier because I've had to replace the grommet before. I don't see anything bad there. So a bad/leaky brake booster can cause a high idle? That's what I'm most confused about, because I don't want to start looking into that if there's a chance that it's normal, ya know?

I know some cars idle at 900 or so normally, and I wouldn't be worried if mine did as well... but it never has, it's always been almost perfectly at 800. Now it's higher, all of the sudden. That's why I know there's something amiss, here.

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sorry, I keep missing your guys' posts here, haha (and thanks again for the advice). I had a fuel regulator go bad maybe 3 years ago or so... maybe it weakened it enough to cause it to fail in the cold weather this year? Is there a way to test this?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well the booster works on vacuum assist. If the rubber diaphragm is getting bad it can let air through, so when you push the brake is lets air through. Idle bumps because of the added air.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Sorry, I keep missing your guys' posts here, haha (and thanks again for the advice). I had a fuel regulator go bad maybe 3 years ago or so... maybe it weakened it enough to cause it to fail in the cold weather this year? Is there a way to test this?
Pumping the brakes and watching the tach is the test.

If you can, run it for a few minutes, let it sit for a few days, then hit the brake pedal without starting it. If you have a rock-hard pedal you know there is vacuum bleed-off.

My dad's truck sat for 2 years with a blown engine and the booster held vacuum that whole time. I still got a few powered stops as we were pulling it on to the trailer.

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Wow, okay... well there's an answer for me right there. It's NEVER been able to hold a vacuum assist. It will for a few minutes, but after a few hours (or a day at work, for example), it's rock hard when I get back into it. But it's always been like this, why the high idle now? Just finally got worse, maybe? The hissing while it's depressed definitely lasts longer than it used to. It used to go away after a couple minutes. Now sometimes it doesn't go away at all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals