• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

something clicking in tranny under load, accelerating/decelerating

phyd3ux

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1999 ranger 4.0 @200,000 manual 4wd

I recently checked and filled transmission, and front diff, and transfer case, then this clicking under load started, I rechecked the fluid levels, made sure nothing was overfilled, checked three sources as to type of fluid.. the little black rubber dust cover on the transmission, i crawled under and listened while it was running, and removed black rubber cover and it sounds like its coming from there, and all gears but forth.. Im no mechanic, I've owned ford rangers for 15 years.. I know the basic idea behind the parts, but nothing as to what this might be. Or if it's related to the fluid. at first I thought maybe the transfer case was stuck between gears, or 2 and 4wd..
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
i remember something about forth gear being the only gear thats running the same RPM as the engine, if so, is whatever compensates for the difference stuck, or burned up and clicking.
this sucks, my only ride.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
In 4th gear the input shaft is locked to the output shaft, giving the 1:1 ratio, this leaves the counter-shaft inside the trans unused for that gear. In all the other gears however it IS spinning and that's most likely what your noise is. Counter-shaft bearing going out. I'm no transmission expert however, some others should chime in soon.

phyd3ux

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cool, thanks, Im not big on terminology, but ill look it up.

Im going to bring it into the shop today.
I'll post details later. 2/24/14
well since it had a couple leaking seals, and of course the options were "tear it down, but maybe end up replacing the tranny with a rebuild, or just paying to replace it, I guess not alot was learned" however, transmission are a mystery to me, and 2300.00 is a good deal, at least they said so. either way, i didn't feel comfortable with tearing into it. and it runs great now. so problem solved, but being in debt to my family is like having teeth pulled.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals