• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SHO Powered Ranger.

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Git r dun multi. You have the skills. Give gwaii a run for his money. Altough he probably has the parts laying around. lol
I have the skills but them things are useless without cash!! I don't see that it would be all that hard if you have a doner SHO and a T5... That statement is why I want to know why they are so rare... I'd rather go with a SHO than a 5 point O... It would be like poetry... or a rap song in some cultures. :icon_hornsup: I made a statement way back on my build thread as to why I didn't go with a 5.0. One reason was Ford never did it (that I know of) but they did do a SHO so
I would feel better about that type of swap for my project...

Last edited:

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
I have the skills but them things are useless without cash!! I don't see that it would be all that hard if you have a doner SHO and a T5... That statement is why I want to know why they are so rare... I'd rather go with a SHO than a 5 point O... It would be like poetry... or a rap song in some cultures. :icon_hornsup:
I think you would end up having to use an M5OD-R1 that was originally behind a 3.0 Vulcan in a Ranger. The guy in that build thread had mentioned that was the only rear drive manual transmission that would match up to the SHO bellhousing pattern. That is, unless you wanted to get into a custom adapter to mate the engine and transmission bellhousing.

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think you would end up having to use an M5OD-R1 that was originally behind a 3.0 Vulcan in a Ranger. The guy in that build thread had mentioned that was the only rear drive manual transmission that would match up to the SHO bellhousing pattern. That is, unless you wanted to get into a custom adapter to mate the engine and transmission bellhousing.
Dunno basing the T5 on what Ford did... Ok so based on that info It still seems like it would be a pretty easy job with with a donor car...

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Frankencar. That's hideous.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
But was the rear wheel drive swap a Ranger? I have searched Hi and lo and can't find a single Ranger SHO cept the one built by Ford...
Merkurs are rear wheel drive.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
But was the rear wheel drive swap a Ranger? I have searched Hi and lo and can't find a single Ranger SHO cept the one built by Ford...
No, the post clearly says it was a Merkur. The fact that it wasn't a Ranger is irrelevant. We now know that the SHO engine fits the Ranger's engine bay, and that somewhere out there, there is a way to mount that engine to a RWD trans. Then you just have to worry about wiring which is relatively minor at that point.

I could probably do this myself. My problem, like Multi, is $$. And SHO parts ain't cheap.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dunno basing the T5 on what Ford did... Ok so based on that info It still seems like it would be a pretty easy job with with a donor car...
You actually CAN use a t5 but you have to do a lot of parts searching. For a couple years the Aerostar was available with a 3.0 and t5 transmission, you need to yank the bellhousing from one of them to use it.

But I wouldn't be too worried about doing it that way since the SHO is only really rated around 215ft/lbs of torque which is a little less than the 4.0 is rated for.

That beast is even uglier than the Ranger with the mustang front end someone posted a while back.

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
You actually CAN use a t5 but you have to do a lot of parts searching. For a couple years the Aerostar was available with a 3.0 and t5 transmission, you need to yank the bellhousing from one of them to use it.

But I wouldn't be too worried about doing it that way since the SHO is only really rated around 215ft/lbs of torque which is a little less than the 4.0 is rated for.

That beast is even uglier than the Ranger with the mustang front end someone posted a while back.
No the T-5 was NEVER used in an aerostar.

the TK-5 (Toyo Koygo RANGER 5sp) trans was used in 1986-87 but these are far more rare than you'd think... especially TWENTY FOUR years after the fact there aren't many to be found in junkyards.

1988-up the M5OD-R1 was used on the V-E-R-Y R-A-R-E 3.0 Aerostars that were sold with manual transmissions.

AD

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You need a bell housing from a Areostar and a T5 from a T Bird or Stang... Or the tranny from a Vulcan 3.0 will work... So far the Homade Ranger still remains elusive.. I found one guy who says to have a SHO motor in a pre runner that holds a record jump at his local track... I say BS.. He had no pics under the hood... I can say my Ranger as a 427 in it...

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
But Merkurs aren't Rangers... I am looking for a successful Ranger swap...
But Merkurs come with a 2.3T stock, and it is a popular choice for turbo ranger swaps - Meaning, if it fits in an Xr4, it fits in a Ranger.

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
But Merkurs come with a 2.3T stock, and it is a popular choice for turbo ranger swaps - Meaning, if it fits in an Xr4, it fits in a Ranger.
Please don't take this question the wrong way but what does a 2300 tubo have to do with an SHO engine swap into a Ranger.... I know a guy who put a 460 in a Ranger so we know any car or regular truck engine will fit... There is even a guy on here that put a 6.somthing turbo diesel in a Ranger so lots of engines will fit... Success means it can be driven not just fit in......

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok after reading back I think it is safe to say that we all agree a SHO engine will fit the engine bay of a Ford Ranger as well as other engines much bigger... But has anyone seen one drive or driven a Ranger with a SHO engine installed??? If you haven't seen one or driven one it goes back to being as rare as a Ford Camaro... (with the exception of the one built by Ford) So far we know it fits and there is a tranny that will bolt on to make it RWD....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals