• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SHO Powered Ranger.

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I was just pointing out that it is possible to put an SHO motor in a rear drive chassis since I had seen it.
The other negative, about 10 years ago I was looking for a nice used Taurus SHO and everything I found then was a beaten pile of scrap with a bazillion miles on it. Finding the parts you need in decent condition might be tough.
How about after-market? Isn't there some restoration company supplying parts for the SHO's? They are after all classic cars now.

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yup...lots of weight on the rear axle,the 460 bronco II has even more rear weight bias.
I can see doing a 460 in a 4X but street Ranger seems to be an over kill IMO. I mean the only usable torque is what is applied to the rear tires that stick..
Smoking tires puts on a killer show but doesn't win the race...

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can see doing a 460 in a 4X but street Ranger seems to be an over kill IMO. I mean the only usable torque is what is applied to the rear tires that stick..
Smoking tires puts on a killer show but doesn't win the race...
ya,while it's cool to have,installing a 460 in the front of a ranger-whether 4x4 or 2wd results in such a forward weight bias as to make the truck what i would think to be a nightmare to drive.a lot of ballast would need to go over the rear axle,negating the light weight advantage of having the ranger in the first place.
there are people who have done this swap,and some quite nicely i might add,and i would like to hear their assesment of the handling.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How about after-market? Isn't there some restoration company supplying parts for the SHO's? They are after all classic cars now.
My brother put an engine in one a year ago, they had a heck of a time finding a used one. Nobody had a reman.

After that project he wasn't a fan...

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ya,while it's cool to have,installing a 460 in the front of a ranger-whether 4x4 or 2wd results in such a forward weight bias as to make the truck what i would think to be a nightmare to drive.a lot of ballast would need to go over the rear axle,negating the light weight advantage of having the ranger in the first place.
there are people who have done this swap,and some quite nicely i might add,and i would like to hear their assesment of the handling.
The site I found promoted doing a 460 swap like any swap and claimed to have better weight distribution.... i don't see that logic unless the engine is so far back it is in the cab... they said it was a better choice than the 5.0

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The site I found promoted doing a 460 swap like any swap and claimed to have better weight distribution.... i don't see that logic unless the engine is so far back it is in the cab... they said it was a better choice than the 5.0
like you,i don't really see how that could be.toss way more weight on the extreme end of the truck,and nothing on the other end....it does not sound like the recipe for better weight distribution to me.

and trust me,if the engine is taking up ANY cab space,you won't have anywhere to sit....unless you are unfortunate enough to have lost your legs at some point in your life.

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My brother put an engine in one a year ago, they had a heck of a time finding a used one. Nobody had a reman.

After that project he wasn't a fan...
So he finished a SHO install in a Ranger????

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals