• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Really noisy 4wd please help!

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Ok this is the first year of 4wd for me and this thing seems really really noisy. I know 4wd is noisy but this seems wrong. 2000 3.0 ff with bout 110k on it newer tires all the same size. The majority of the noise comes when I let off the gas it will kind of whine like when you downshift a manual tranny to slow down the other noise is like a grinding vibration that also happens when I let off the gas if I push the gas just a bit it quiets right up it sounds like its coming from the passenger side. Sounds fine in 2wd and I had the fluid in both diffs and the TC changed this year and the front diff and TC were checked yesterday both full. Things seem worse when I have been driving it for awhile around town its fine.

I noticed a leak at the pinion and at the passanger side axel seal that only seems to leak after driving for an extended time I will replace the seals this weekend hopefully. It shifts into 4wd fine and seems to have no trouble pulling me around. Please someone help me I need the truck to get around in the snow any help would be great thanks in advance.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd be dropping the front axle and checking bearings. Comes in after you left off the gas......may be a pinion bearing. But if you decide to drop the ring and pinion housing I would replace every bearing in it.

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Ok how many are in there? I don't know much about this differerential stuff and my haynes is almost but not totally worthless. Also what kind of tools do I need? I figure some snap ring pliers and a dead bow hammer fr sure. Thank you very much for the reply I just want to fix it there is way to much winter left. Also why does it only do it in 4wd?

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok how many are in there? I don't know much about this differerential stuff and my haynes is almost but not totally worthless. Also what kind of tools do I need? I figure some snap ring pliers and a dead bow hammer fr sure. Thank you very much for the reply I just want to fix it there is way to much winter left. Also why does it only do it in 4wd?
That can get pretty involved. Getting the front axle assembly out is no big deal, the bearings are no big deal either...if that is what the problem is. It may boil down to you taking it somewhere and having it done.
The reason why it only does it in 4x4 is that the front shaft is turning and putting a load onto the pinion, and when you let off the gas and coast there is no load.

danswen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I know this is a month old but I was sifting around here to find some info because I am having a similar issue the last couple weeks. Same symptoms..... Loud when I let off the gas, gas mileage has decreased, just changed/checked all t-case and diff fluids, etc.

Here are a few more details...... I get a very loud "whining" noise when I turn the wheels on hard or very slippery ground, there is a braking effect with the wheels turned, gas mileage has decreased, and as much as this may sound like a regular 4X4 these are all NEW symptoms. The previous 60K none of these things happened.

I just took it into Ford and after a quick test drive they say things are o.k. I am not convinced. The noise and braking effect when turning leads me to believe something is binding.

Are there any ways I can do perform some checks at home to confirm a possible issue?

Thanks.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Here are a few more details...... I get a very loud "whining" noise when I turn the wheels on hard or very slippery groundFOrd steering box

, there is a braking effect with the wheels turnedThis is due to the Ujoint style axles shafts having minor bind. They arent meant to turn full lock in 4x4ignore me, you have cv shafts.

, gas mileage has decreasedIt sounds like the wheel bearings as well as maybe the pinion bearing. the leaking aroudn the passenger axle is from the vent tube. Its a d35 thing
, and as much as this may sound like a regular 4X4 these are all NEW symptoms. The previous 60K none of these things happened.

I just took it into Ford and after a quick test drive they say things are o.k. I am not convinced. The noise and braking effect when turning leads me to believe something is binding.

Are there any ways I can do perform some checks at home to confirm a possible issue?

Thanks.
xxxxxxxxxx

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals